in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

I'm looking for Public Domain Mad Magazine rip-offs

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: I'm looking for Public Domain Mad Magazine rip-offs  (Read 8126 times)

GrotesquetheBeast

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: GrotesquetheBeast
message icon
I'm looking for Public Domain Mad Magazine rip-offs
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:17:34 PM »

I downloaded "This Magazine is Crazy", and loved it. so it would be awesome if someone could upload more of the old Mad knock-offs from that era.

Here's a list of all the mad rip-offs:

Cracked
Sick
Crazy
Nuts!
Get Lost
Whack
Riot
Flip
Eh!
Frenzy
Thimk
Zany
Loco
Shook Up
From Here to Insanity
Madhouse
Wild
Blast
Grin
Gag!
Panic
Not Brand Echh
Plop!
Humbug
Trump
Help!

I'm not sure which ones out of these are public domain. Some I'm sure aren't, Like Cracked.
but it would be so cool if someone could upload some of these. 
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
Re: I'm looking for Public Domain Mad Magazine rip-offs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »

the Get Lost issues were just reprinted by Hermes Press in a very nice color volume, with text articles from at least one of the artists responsible.  I don't have that volume here in front of me to check to see what they posted for copyright claims, however.   But the issues themselves are currently available in very nice reprinted form, in an edition that will funnel some money to the original creators.

I would second this request, in that there was some good material in some of those books, as well as some real dreck. 
ip icon Logged

GrotesquetheBeast

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

here's a few that I left out:

Frantic
Thwak
Trash
Wild

Most of these can be bought here:

http://www.themadstore.com/obscurities.htm

There are also specific pages where you can buy Sick, Cracked and Crazy. I would but I don't have a credit card. and I'm not allowed to order thing off the internet.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:32:40 AM »

Here is one I have but is not GA
Something Else 1971
http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=29972
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:01:10 PM »

I believe Alter-Ego #86 will have a big feature on all the Mad rip-off books so keep an eye open for it.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

FlyingSquid

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: FlyingSquid
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 12:29:35 AM »

Plop! was great, but it was from the '70s and by DC, so it's definitely not public domain. It was also more a parody of EC Comics horror books than Mad, but it was a lot of fun. Art by Basil Wolverton, Wally Wood and Sergio Aragones to name a few... and frankly, I'm a sucker for anything drawn by Basil Wolverton so I immediately fell in love with the title.

Slick and Crazy were also post-golden age, the former was Charlton and the latter was Marvel.

I think Eh! might be in the public domain (I've never actually seen an issue) and, as you already saw, This Magazine is Crazy is. Most of the others on the list are definitely not.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 03:26:25 AM »

Should anyone decide that some of these are fodder for scanning (albeit NONE of them really fall into the realm of the Golden Age), I do have the following in my collection:

BALLYHOO    V1:3   V2:1,2
BLAST   1,2
BUNK   1
CAMPUS HOWL   1
COCKEYED   3,4
CRACKED   1-10,12,15,125,127,129,134,139-161,167,173,190,228
CRAZY (cdc)   V1:12
V2:1,2     V4:8
FRANTIC   V1:1,2
V2:1,2
FRENZY   1-4
GRIN   1
HELP   1-26
HUMBUG   1-11
LOCO   1,3
LUNATICKLE   1
PANIC   1-5; V2:11
SICK   V1:1-3,5    V2:4,5,
V3:1,4  V4:2,3 26-30,34-38,
40-44,46-49,52,55,56
SNAFU   1-3
THIMK   1,5,6
TRUMP   1,2
WHO GOOFED?   1
ZANY   3,4
ip icon Logged

GrotesquetheBeast

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 02:54:30 AM »

JVJ, Please upload the ones in your collection that are public domain!
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 03:06:33 AM »

Hi, Grotesque,
The way things are working with my collection is that I'm loaning the books out to some of the guys here who are scanning them. These guys, Geo, Jon The Scanner, Narfstar and OtherEric are the ones who decide what they want to scan and then ask me to send the books to them.

Your best bet is to lobby the four of them to include some of your wants in their next requests. Contributing to the JVJ Scanning Postage Fund has influenced them in the past.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

jrasicmark

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 11:47:22 PM »

I don't know if you've noticed, but several of Mad rip-offs are available here and on Digital Comics Museum (other than the one you mentioned, "This Magazine is Crazy).

The others available are: Eh!, Flip, From Here to Insanity, Get Lost, Madhouse (Ajax-Farrell, not the Archie one), Nuts!, Whack!, and Zany.

You might also want to check out Go-Go (the Charlton one, not the Tower teen comic), although it seems kind of like a mash-up of Mad and Archie. But it does have what appears to be a spoof of Peyton Place, though it seems to be in every issue, so it may not be as close to Mad as you'd like.

Also, most of the contents of Super Funnies appear to be similar to early Mad comics parodies. The only story in the issue that's not is one funny animal story in the back.

A few months ago, I stumbled onto some copies of Crazy Magazine and Help Magazine on Internet Archive, but they are not public domain, so I'm not sure why they are there. I tried to check to see if they had some of the more obscure magazines on the lists above, but IA seems to be down for  maintenance at the moment.
ip icon Logged

jrasicmark

message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 06:46:41 AM »

Marvel had a couple more (though they aren't public domain); What The...! and Spoof.
I think there was at least one comic similar to Mad in Britain, but I can't remember the name right now (though probably not public domain either). They also had a British edition of Mad, though I'm not sure if it had original content.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »

Was it Cracked? I feel sure as a teenager, I was able to buy copies of Mad and Cracked from a local newsagent - though to be honest, apart from Spy v Spy, I didn't really rate them all that high - the humour always seemed a bit arch to me - cultural differences perhaps.
ip icon Logged

jrasicmark

message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 02:13:08 AM »

Was it Cracked? I feel sure as a teenager, I was able to buy copies of Mad and Cracked from a local newsagent - though to be honest, apart from Spy v Spy, I didn't really rate them all that high - the humour always seemed a bit arch to me - cultural differences perhaps.

No, the British humor comic I was trying to think of definitely was not Cracked. There was a British comic called Cracker, but it wasn't really like Mad.
I think I may have been thinking of Frantic which looks like it was published by Marvel UK (they even used the same mascot that Marvel used for Crazy in the US), but the Frantic logo used the same font design as the Mad logo.
ip icon Logged

Muffaroo

message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 05:33:52 PM »

Is there a search term I can use to find such of these that may be here, without searching titles one by one? Thanks.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 01:02:38 AM »

There are some MAD clones on CB+, but most of those you have listed are not Public Domain.
If you use the search function at the top right of the home page you will find the ones that are.
I warn you tho, they were not all as good as MAD.  ::)

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.