in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comic Advert Related - Other info and links.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Comic Advert Related - Other info and links.  (Read 2221 times)

Quian

message icon
Comic Advert Related - Other info and links.
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:55:24 AM »

Forum link in reference for this is:
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php/topic,7630.msg51567.html#msg51567
(by crashryan)

The following link is to a vid-clip that makes connection to the Submarine play structure sold in comic adverts.
CSI: Cardboard Submarine Immersed
( CSI:NY segment from "The Sit Down" )
http://www.dograt.com/2008/06/20/csi-cardboard-submarine-immersed/
{ *** You will not be amused by this clip. *** }

Yes, I know they used a modified prop for the tv show. But they do make reference to an actual comic advert. Even though it was updated for their use. It does make one wonder is any kids in real life, did ever try to make one float.
On another note. Regarding the tank version. If you are interested in a Sherman Tank mini (scaled down). Here is a link to a 17mb rar (includes 2 PDFs & 2 short videos), of a working metal kid's tank.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dmd4b7cgxjushh0/Sherman_Tank_mini_(scaled_down).rar

If you viewed either item linked above. What did you think of it (or them)?
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Comic Advert Related - Other info and links.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »

I had some friends, as a kid, who ordered the submarine.  It was, indeed, just made of cardboard.  They still decided to launch it into a swimming pool where it proceeded to sink and turn into a pile of paper mush.

It was seeing my friends getting ripped off time after time that kept me from ordering much of those items being advertised no matter how tantilizing they might look in the ads. 
I did order the miniature "spy camera" which did take pictures, albeit somewhat fuzzy ones.  I never did get any additional film for it.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »

I wonder if too many people wised up or the comic audience got older that caused them to go out of business.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:54:25 PM »

Quian, I'll get around to your links but I'm on my tablet right now and not o lot of charge left.
There are some examples of the sort of rubbish British kids were tempted with on the back pages of some comics onCB+ and here's one
comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29133
I'm trying to find the x-ray spex 'cos everyone wanted a pair and you'll never guess, they were rubbish!
Here's another, this time on the inside back page
comicbookplus.com/?dlid=33828
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »

To narf's question: I believe the junkshop ads were already gone before comics readership moved into the college-age-and-older range. My guess is that total circulation went way down (meaning fewer customers) at the same time production costs, represented by rising cover prices climbed quickly (meaning higher advertising rates). The profit margin on those cheap products had to be pretty slim. I'm guessing the sellers just got squeezed out.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.