in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Mystery Contest of 1939

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Mystery Contest of 1939  (Read 1609 times)

MIKE1955

message icon
Mystery Contest of 1939
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »

I also posted this along with my introduction. I hope I didn't violate any protocol doing it this way.

I have an interesting problem that I hope someone can help me out with.
My mom who is now 87 entered a contest in 1939. ( She was 13 )
She is pretty sure it was from a comic book.
She had to write an essay explaining what she would do with 50 dollars. ( Lot of money for a kid back then )
A lot for an adult too! Well, whatever she wrote she won and received a Morgan silver dollar ( One of 50 given out she thinks. ) She still has the Morgan which wasn't a collector of any sort but she got a return letter from King Features Syndicate Inc.  The letter has about ten characters all around the border. ( The Phantom, Blondie etc. ) Did some research but came up with nothing. Anybody know about a contest like this at the time.  If you do I would gladly appreciate it.  Would this letter be of any value? It is in 3 sections ( it split from being folded and not preserved properly ) but the writing is quite legible. The characters are  in color and look pretty good.  I don't have the letter with me otherwise I would give more information. Maybe in newspaper archives? I keep looking but nothing so far. thanks all. later.............
Mike K
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Mystery Contest of 1939
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »

That line-up would be in ACE Comics, I have a few I will check.
ip icon Logged

MIKE1955

message icon
Re: Mystery Contest of 1939
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 02:46:41 AM »

thanks narfstar.
I will look up ace comics to see what i find.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.