in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Romita, Trimpe, Schaffenberger and more

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Romita, Trimpe, Schaffenberger and more  (Read 2362 times)

nick caputo

message icon
Romita, Trimpe, Schaffenberger and more
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »

My examination of The Comic Reader continues, with more rare art and articles:

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/2014/02/return-of-comic-reader.html
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: Romita, Trimpe, Schaffenberger and more
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:07:44 PM »

I remember FRIDAY FOSTER and ON STAGE from when I read them in the MENOMONEE FALLS GAZETTE. Both had great art--especially for the female characters--even if the stories felt drawn out to me at the time.

Back then you had a lot of commercial art in newspapers--for advertising and women's fashion. So at the time, I compacted this all into a theory that because commercial artists had to be good at drawing fashion this then influenced the kind of work they did in comics.  I was quite aware of how much detail some artists put into the clothing--so this is how I explained why that was in the comics I was buying.

I don't know how accurate my theory was. I'm sure some artists moved between both worlds--but maybe not as much as I believed. Back then I figured you had to be a commercial artist to make a living and the comic book artists couldn't get by on just what they made from funny books.
ip icon Logged

nick caputo

message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »

Jimm,

I don't know how many comic book artist were also doing commercial art at the same time, they were probably some but I don't think it was a great majority. Usually if they got jobs in those fields they left comics, but it's a good question.

Friday Foster was in the Menomonee Falls Gazette? I didn't know that. I would love to read the strip again after all these years. Gray Morrow actually ghosted the strip for a period.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 01:12:30 AM »

Like Nick said, advertising paid so much better than comics that once a comic artist crossed over he usually stayed in advertising. Nevertheless several comics people seem to have done one or two ads but remained in comics. I remember a comics-format toy ad back in the 60s (70s?) drawn by Chic Stone. Murphy Anderson did a sword-and-sandal movie poster. Didn't he also make drawings for the Major Matt Mason toys? I recall a toy soldier ad by Rocco Mastroserio. There was one by Russ Heath as well, wasn't there? I don't own the books any more so these examples off the top of my head may be wrong.

Storyboarding for commercials, TV shows, and movies is another place to which comics artists could escape. I believe Rafael Astarita became a storyboard artist. I read that ( sadly-underrated) pulp/comics artist Henry Sharp moved up to designing props for the original "Mission: Impossible" TV show.

From reading interviews with Silver Age artists in "Alter Ego" it appears that despite low page rates, a comics artist could make a decent middle-class living back then. He'd have to be good enough to appeal to editors and able to produce lots of pages month after month, but a number of artists seemed to have pulled it off.
ip icon Logged

nick caputo

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »

Like Nick said, advertising paid so much better than comics that once a comic artist crossed over he usually stayed in advertising. Nevertheless several comics people seem to have done one or two ads but remained in comics. I remember a comics-format toy ad back in the 60s (70s?) drawn by Chic Stone. Murphy Anderson did a sword-and-sandal movie poster. Didn't he also make drawings for the Major Matt Mason toys? I recall a toy soldier ad by Rocco Mastroserio. There was one by Russ Heath as well, wasn't there? I don't own the books any more so these examples off the top of my head may be wrong.

Murphy Anderson apparently had an account with Aurora and did the art for many of their ads in the 1960's. Other artists had outside work, such as Kurt Schaffenberger and the aforementioned Chic Stone. Neal Adams, of course did much advertising and comics related artwork. There were many others that supplemented their income, such as Sol Brodsky, who had an ongoing account with Big Boy restaurants, supplying them with artwork for many years.   
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »

Not only  in N. America, but also in the U. K. Interestingly there is a conversation going on about this very subject on comics uk
with some examples.  Have a read:-
www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4766
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.