in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Lots of Comics but no time

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

topic icon Author Topic: Lots of Comics but no time  (Read 63293 times)

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Lots of Comics but no time
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2008, 03:50:23 AM »

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Hope you're all enjoying the scans and thanks eversomuch to Geo, Jon, Eric and Narfstar for all of their scanning. I hope you get all the scans you wanted for Christmas,

and one more forlorn entreaty for Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2008, 04:38:53 AM »

Yes peace would be much better than any number of scans but for now we can at least enjoy the little pleasures. Merry Christmas to you and yours. BTW Jim I will bet Lucky Comics #3 is a wedding. You got a coverless copy somewhere then managed to get the cover right. The cover looks real good and has a good spine. When I opened the book I found the comic inside was spineless and very brittle around the spine and beyond. Does not seem like anyway the cover and comic could have been originally together. So am I a good detective? Or you may not remember how or when you got them. I actually have some SA covers I bought as a group that I have some covers they would go with. Never got around to performing the marriage though. I think I may have married my SA Green Hornet as I managed to get the pieces separately. Usually cheaper that way actually. BTW I once again remembered your trick to spell separately correctly.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »

Thank you for giving us the books to scan, Jim.  And yes, Peace would be better than scans.  But even if we don't get it it's _always_ worth hoping for and working for.

Merry Christmas, all.  I'll have at least a couple books to post later today once I get to where I have a better connection this afternoon.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2008, 02:37:35 PM »

Peace would be better than scans.

B-but...then I'd have nothing to talk about!

Kidding, kidding!

Actually, this is just a lame excuse to say, whatever your traditions and beliefs for this time of year, I hope you can all make the most of them and, yes, keep that spirit for the other fifty-one weeks in the year.  Well, unless you're the sort who busts menorahs and steals babies Jesus from nativities, of course.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »

I once had a guy actually MAIL me a trio of old and RARE 45s so I could copy them onto my computer, clean up the tracks and them dump them onto a CD. I couldn't believe anyone would actually do that, and was a nervous wreck until I heard he'd gotten them back safely! (He plays in several bands, too, and sent me several unreleased things I was missing to include on a comp as well.)

A couple years back, I was looking for sources of old comics to scan. My comics-shop owner, who might be described as a "neurotic nutcase", told me that under NO circumstances would ANYTHING ever leave his house, ever. I told him he could bring stuff over and watch as I scanned it, but no. I tried passing on the request to some others of his customers, but the general response was "too busy to find anything".

Fortunately, for awhile, I was able to get a pile of cover scans from another fan, though he could be on the cranky side sometimes.

More recently, I found the Heritage Auction site, and that's been an amazing source of material.

There's gaps, of course... and just last week I wound up downloading a comic FROM HERE to get a decent scan of the cover. That worked as a start.  It took about 3 WHOLE DAYS (taking into account I'm working in the daytime) to do a really thorough "restoration", which is now posted at Nick Simon's SILVER AGE MARVEL site.

I'd like to include a "thank you" to "FreddyFly" (whoever that may be!) for the scan.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2010, 03:12:05 AM »

If you're saying "thank you" for sharing, profh0011,
you're welcome.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

capnted

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »

thanks eversomuch to Geo, Jon, Eric and Narfstar for all of their scanning

I assume these guys have everything under control, and I might be a little late in offering, but if need be, I'm available to help out with scanning, JVJ Jim or anybody else. I'm in the Chicago area. I'm a new hand at scanning although I do digital/graphic work for a living and just popped out my first scan today (any comments, criticisms, advice or even praise, feel free to let me know).

I grew up in the late 70s/early 80s with the usual Marvel and DC, whose books i do still enjoy. But after discovering this site, I fear I am completely hooked on the Golden Age for life as the new priority in comics.

Thanks to all the scanners for their work and for people like Jim for supplying these wonders for future generations to enjoy. The 20th Century has already been pushed far too backwards into the past and is being erased from the consciousness and the herds. There is great value in the variety of comics from an art, concept, story, and sociological bent from the Golden Age.

I hope many others jump on the preservation wagon, reading the comics is great, scanning and packaging them is pretty easy with a good scanner (est. 1-2 hours per comic), and the whole affair is fun and important. For those who lack the scanning equipment, time or skills but have the materials, i'm sure Jim can testify to reliability of the above members. I may look like an ugly and uncouthful fellow but I'm really easygoing and pleasant whose just glad to contribute. In my situation I don't have many GA comics and probably will only be able, foreseeably (sic), to gather some here and there to scan, but I have the ability and willingness to scan.  ;D

Thanks and appreciation Jim
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2012, 07:39:30 AM »

Jim, just writing to let you know I'm glad to see someone else besides myself who isn't big on bagging his books. I'm the same way, my books are mostly on shelves, with others in boxes because the shelves are full. My wife and I have no children, and although I have MANY nephews and nieces, I'm afraid none of them have inherited my love of comics. I read some of your stuff in Comics Buyer's Guide, and I believe you are a well known name in collectors' history, so I am honored to talk to you, even though I'm sorry I can't do the scanning thing. I just wanted to say hello. I write to the forum at Captain Comics, and I'm still new there, as I am to using a computer at all, I'm just now coming out of the stone age. I love this site and I truly appre4ciate the huge favor you are doing for fans like myself who could never in a million years afford to see so many classic books in one place, so Thank You, Jim, it's much appreciated!
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »

You're welcome, unclerobin.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

tabuzak

message icon
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »

Hello,

I have been a comcs fan since the Silver Age. I sold my collection in the early 80s and have been piecing it back together through Ebay, Archive Editions and now digital copies of mostly Golden Age Comics. I now read most comics on my iPad, whether they are scans from fans from sites like yours or paid for new DC, Marvel, etc. comics.

Thank you very much for providing this resource. I was especially excited to find the Steve Ditko Gorgo material which I downloaded today.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2012, 11:45:18 PM »

We are happy to help. Enjoy all we have to offer
ip icon Logged

hasan459

message icon
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »

i have also a big list but no time
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.