in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Animating comic stories - a couple of questions

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Animating comic stories - a couple of questions  (Read 1697 times)

toonarama

message icon
Animating comic stories - a couple of questions
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »

Hello there

My name is toonarama and I make animations using machinima software (iclone and muvizu) and think I have found the perfect site for inspiration!

I would like to make short stories of a comic book/b-movie kind and there is so much material on here!

So can I ask a couple of questions

a) Do you think it is legally ok to make animations using the original stories (strictly for non commercial animations)?

b) Does anybody have any suggestions for possible animations. I have already started work on The Jelly Monster from the Chamber of Chills series but would love to be pointed to more horror material which othere would recommend.

Many thanks for your time
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Animating comic stories - a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 03:47:50 AM »

The work is public domain and free to be used even for commercial purposes. The horror stories that you used and like depends on what type you prefer. There are those that go for suspense and those that go for gore. So you would need to be more specific with your wants.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:23:45 AM »

Some British comics might still pose a copyright issue.
Not long ago I looked up an online copy of a British sporting goods catalog and found that while the catalog itself was in public domain the estate of the artist whose paintings were used to illustrate some sections had the images of the paintings redacted.
IIRC under UK laws artwork used as illustrations can remain under copyright for 75 years after the death of the artist.

The US comics should not pose that problem.
ip icon Logged

toonarama

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »

Thank you both for your replies.

I am only planning to use the words (it would be animated from scratch) so I hope I should be ok.

The sort of thing I am looking at doing is typical fifties b-movie fodder: mad scientists, killer animals, and invading aliens.

The chamber of Chills comic hits the right notes and I was just wondering what other comics tread a similar path. The answer is probably all the ones in the horror category!

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:28 PM »

Actually a variety between suspenseful to occult to gory. Some mixed within the same comic.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.