in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Street & Smith Publications

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Street & Smith Publications  (Read 14273 times)

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
Street & Smith Publications
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:46:27 PM »

Unfortunately all the Street and Smith comics are still under copyright protection, as the current owner Cond
ip icon Logged

Tigger

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Tigger
message icon
Re: Street & Smith Publications
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »

Just goes to show that I should have asked before uploading :'(

Tigger
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:42:07 PM »

Well it least it made me check, so now we can ask if we can host them on the site, although l would not be suprised if they said no where the Shadow and Doc Savage were concerned, l am hoping they would not mind us hosting any of the others. We will have to wait and see, l am a big chicken when it comes to writting letters, so hoping one of the others will volunteer  ;)

The Street and Smith collection includes the following, not sure if this is all of them though

Air Ace (20 issues, 1944-48)
Army and Navy Comics (5 issues, 1940-42; became Supersnipe)
Bill Barnes Comics (1 issues, 1940)
Bill Barnes, America's Air Ace Comics (11 issues, 1941-43; became Air Ace)
Blackstone, Master Magician Comics (3 issues, 1946)
Buffalo Bill Picture Stories (2 issues, 1949)
Devil Dog Comics (1 issue, 1942)
Doc Savage Comics (20 issues, 1940-43)
FBI Comics (no information available)
Freedom Train (1 issue, 1948)
Ghost Breakers (2 issues, 1948)
Kid Zoo Comics (1 issue 1948)
Pioneer Picture-Stories (9 issues, 1941-43)
Red Dragon Comics (5 issues, 1943-44; 7 issues, 1947-49)
The Shadow Comics (101 issues, 1940-48)
"Special Comics" ??? (no information available)
Sport Comics (4 issues, 1940, became True Sports)
Super-Magic Comics (1 issues, became Super-Magician)
Super-Magician Comics (55 issues, 1941-43)
Supersnipe Comics (44 issues, 1942-49)
Top Secrets (10 issues, 1947-49)
Trail Blazers (4 issues, 1941-42, became Red Dragon)
True Sport Picture Stories (46 issues, 1942-49)

The Yellow Kid, original standard bearer of Street & Smith is of course now public domain :)

If anyone knows of any other Street and Smith comics could they please let us know so we can add them to the list
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 01:14:50 AM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 06:21:06 PM »

Since none of the Shadow or Doc Savage material has been reprinted since the original publications, I'm not sure if they would have updated the copyrights. They did renew the copyrights on the original pulps, as those were being reprinted and had value. They've definitely kept the trademarks renewed. But the original comics themselves could very well be in the PD.
ip icon Logged

alee8582

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: alee8582
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »

To "refresh" this conversation (it butts up against the stuff lost in the crash, you see), copyright is something you don't need to feed.  Old copyrights are renewed once, in CASE you want to keep it, but it's not like a trademark, where you keep renewing and must keep the product in service.

If Street and Smith saw a potential Doc Savage product OR if they were just being businessmen making sure they don't lose any property that could potentially make them some money, they would've (and apparently did) renewed everything they published.

This was shown when the guy running BlackMask (now Munseys) sold reprints of the Pulps.  He made sure that Conde Nast would find out, and used it to try to challenge copyright law in the courts, hoping to add an "abandonment clause" like that in trademarks.  Conde Nast won, as everybody knew they would, because the courts can't change the laws except by throwing them out, and they refused to do that with one of Lessig's cases a few years back.

The upshot is that Conde Nast owns Street and Smith, and Street and Smith kept all their copyrights up to date, so nothing from Street and Smith is public domain, no matter what has been reprinted or left on a shelf.  It's too bad, because the obscure characters I've seen (Captain Jack Commando, for example) are fairly interesting.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »

Well that answers one question I had then. 
I've a Super-Magician #2 I was wondering about scanning.
Kind of sad that they would freeze up the viewing when the character has been buried for 50 years.

be sad but true
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 01:29:57 AM »

Conde Nast recently made it known to a yahoo pulp scan group that they are defending Doc, Shadow, and the Avenger properties.  However, they did not take the opportunity to expand on their stance on the good number of other Street and Smith pulps that have been and are being scanned.  My uneducated guess is that they will only actively protect copyrights for properties they see as having value. The costs of having lawyers pursue such matters would far outweigh any benefit of tracking down a few scanners on the internet sharing copies of the multitude of other Street & Smith titles quickly fading into obscurity.

Out of curiousity, did the site ever contact Street & Smith about the other comics?
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 10:53:20 PM »

No l did not think l would get a favourable answer so am still waiting for the dust to settle back down, Street & Smith renewed all their comic copyrights l would assume the pulps would have been as well, so anyone thinking to make money of anything they own would want to be prepared for a legal battle. While they used to ignore the sites that were offering the material for free, it was still never public domain, so l doubt if Conde Nast are ever going to give us approval. It does not take massive legal fees to stop internet sites illegally using the material, one complaint to yahoo about copyright infringement and the group will likely be gone, just as with a web site it is usually the server they will complain to. l doubt they would ever prosecute scanners, it would be the distribution of the scans they would go for, but if they have contacted the Yahoo group l will be interested to see what happens.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »

No l did not think l would get a favourable answer so am still waiting for the dust to settle back down, Street & Smith renewed all their comic copyrights l would assume the pulps would have been as well, so anyone thinking to make money of anything they own would want to be prepared for a legal battle. While they used to ignore the sites that were offering the material for free, it was still never public domain, so l doubt if Conde Nast are ever going to give us approval.

On the other hand, if you have the time and patience to deal with a large company to find the right person, it's entirely possible that they're friendly.  After all, Moynihan (of Blackmask) forced them to sue him.  When they found out he was selling Doc Savage and Shadow novels, they first gave him the generous options of removing the infringing material or licensing it from them.

He refused, claiming they had abandoned the copyright (which is impossible).

However, since this site is primarily about public domain books, I don't really like the idea of adding copyrighted material, no matter how interesting it is.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:17:27 AM »

Any non public domain material would have to have the copyright notice clearly displayed on the site where the material is, but later on l would like to increase our collection to include as many GA titles as we can legally have, that would include asking copyright holders if we can host their material on the site. Unfortunately l do not really feel up to chasing such things at the moment and do not really have the time to devote to it, there are plenty of other things that need attention before we go chasing after non PD comics.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »

Just to let people interested know, I hope to be doing a big push on Supersnipe over the summer.  I own copies of most of his comics and appearances (43 of 51 + 4 more in fiche) and will be posting them on ABPC. These are the appearances I'm missing.  If anyone has any, I'd love to see scans:

Supersnipe v1 n8  only have fiche anyone have paper?
Supersnipe v1 n9  only have fiche anyone have paper?
Supersnipe v1 n12  have a fiche centerfold anyone have paper?
Supersnipe v2 n1 only have fiche anyone have paper?
      Note v2n2 also says v2n1 on its cover.  The true v2n1 has an Iron
      worker cover not a shark wrestling cover
Shadow v2 n5
Shadow v2 n10
Doc Savage v1 n9
Super Magician v1 n11
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 05:14:09 AM »

Sounds exciting Jon!
None of your wanted books have been scanned AFAIK.
Perhaps a member might have one in a pile though.
:)
ip icon Logged

Daprof

message icon
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 05:26:27 AM »

Hi guys, any chance anyone can share the Red Dragon origin story with me, or point me to where I can  find it. I'm in the final stages of a book project, and it would really help to read it!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 11:02:49 PM »

His intro and origin was a text page here is a copy of the page for your research https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43619494/red%20dragon.jpg
ip icon Logged

Daprof

message icon
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 05:06:27 AM »

Got it - thanks! Exactly what I needed!
ip icon Logged

Daprof

message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »

Hey there again, I'm wrapping up my book project (It'll be published by Fantagraphics later this year) and I'd really like to get a look at Street & Smith's "Remember Pearl Harbor" from 1942. If there's an existent scan out there somewhere, I'd love to see it. The GCD doesn't even have a listing of the features, so I realize I may be out of luck. Thanks!
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 09:12:20 AM »

anyone have some street and smith stuff?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »

I could not find any "Remember Pearl Harbor" in several issues
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Blackstone, Master Magician Comics
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 06:46:49 PM »

Does anyone know for some certainty if Blackstone, Master Magician Comics is or is not PD. I have not found anything that states that he is not PD. Any clues guys n gals?

Richard Boucher AkA Mr_Goldenage

Post Script: This is in regards to my Smith Street Project I am working on.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.