in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

self-defense booklets from the ads

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: self-defense booklets from the ads  (Read 2939 times)

mjb0123

message icon
self-defense booklets from the ads
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »

Hi there!
Does anybody know where I can look at scans of those booklets from the ads--you know, self-defense, hypnotism, those sort? We've seen them advertised and I bet it would be a hoot to see the real booklets.

Matt
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: self-defense booklets from the ads
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »

That's a great question! Surely somebody out there sent away for the hypnotism and Yubiwaza courses. I wonder if someone has scanned and posted some of these out there on the Net.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »

I got one of those Judo books but long gone now. I also sent for the Joe Weider, which was of course an ad that I got.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »

There are several WW2 era hand to hand combat books available as free PDF downloads or for reading online.

I think you can find the old Boy Scout hand to hand combat books as well.
Strange to think of it now but at one time the Boy Scouts had a Martial Arts merit badge and scouts could learn how to kill with their bare hands rather than basket weaving if they wished.
ip icon Logged

mjb0123

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »

Thanks for the responses! I will keep looking.

After seeing the ads for these courses, I am really curious what a booklet would show you for a couple of bucks, even in a world of 10 cent comics!

Butcher
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:08:54 AM »

I found some strange stuff when looking for images from these books.
One in particular has been the subject of a recent lawsuit over someone using some images in a film documentary.
The author of the book had been involved in a "Dojo War" much like those depicted in exploitive Martial Arts films of the 70's and 80's. There were deaths and serious injuries in at least one confrontation with the "Black Dragon Society" no less.

The book itself was not very informative and seemed more geared towards garnering publicity and recruiting students for the Dojos.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.