in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,778 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 28 - Tom Corbett, Space Cadet #4

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 28 - Tom Corbett, Space Cadet #4  (Read 4901 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 28 - Tom Corbett, Space Cadet #4
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »

This week we yet again radically change our subject matter as we are going back to school. Well actually it's an academy, and rather than learning our multiplication tables we are going to learn how to fly a spaceship!! Our classmates include the most famous Space Cadet of all Tom Corbett. But I don't think this will unnerve the members of the reading group as I suspect many of then are Space Cadets already :)

The book we are reading is Tom Corbett, Space Cadet https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19429.

There is only one story, but with quick a look over, it looks really quite cool and not a big slog! I am really looking forward to this as it relates to a site enhancement which I am currently working on.

ip icon Logged

Philv

message icon
Re: Week 28 - Tom Corbett, Space Cadet #4
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »

Looking forward to reading this one!
I'm an Old Time Radio fan, and Tom Corbett  had his own radio show.
Great site, and the reading group is a great idea!

Phil
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:20:31 AM »

It was great to see an old friend again. Though I missed the Tom Corbett TV show by a couple of years, I eagerly read the entire Grosset and Dunlap book series. Those books were surprisingly well-written, by the way, and featured early illustration jobs by Lou (Lew?) Glanzman, Sam's older brother.

To start off with, the cover was terrific. Parenthetically, there's no way it was painted by Alden McWilliams. Anyway the Tom Corbett comic books boasted many exciting cover paintings. I'll bet they space-jumped right off the comic racks. Pity the interior art wasn't that good.

I'm not sure where I got my prejudice against John Lehti. He certainly was no worse than many of Dell's regular artists. He put in everything he was asked to and remained consistent throughout Dell's long stories.  But I never cared for his stuff. This is especially true in Tom Corbett, because I can compare him unfavorably to Alden McWilliams' work in the Four-Color issues. Anyway Lehti's art is okay, without much imagination applied to architecture or creature designs.

I was always a fan of Dell's  book-length stories. 34 pages! The drawback was that if you found a coverless copy you missed the last two pages of the story. Paul S. Newman made good use of the space. His story wasn't terribly complex, but it held my interest, had some good action, and never seemed padded. I liked the fact that the "bad guys" and the "good guys" worked things out like rational beings. We still had one incorrigible to provide a last-minute battle, but reading this story reminds one how seldom comics antagonists think things over, change their minds, and decide to live in harmony with their former rivals.

Two things I didn't like arose not from the comic but the TV show. The first is that Roger Manning is an insufferable jerk who should have been expelled from the Solar Academy long ago. A little bit of his boastful-coward routine goes a long way, and there was never a little bit of it! The other thing that makes me want to scream is the schtick of appending "space" to every other word. Let's go down the space escalator to the space mall and buy a couple of space dollars' worth of space candy! I want to think that even back then kids were smart enough to laugh at that stuff.

Overall, a pleasant read with a touch of nostalgia. By the way, if you haven't seen it, check out Ray Bailey's superb Tom Corbett newspaper strip. Ger Apeldoorn has presented a number of pages on his Blogspot blog, "The Fabuleous (sic) Fifties."
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 12:47:45 AM »

Not bad.

I wish the artist had been a little more imaginative in his depictions of the future though. Space Arabs, Middle Eastern style cities on Mars, not to mention the old style swords & knives. Yeah, fashion is cyclical, but it's usually not an exact replica.

As for the story, the two main drawbacks for me was 1. Captain Strong's talking as if the bandits couldn't understand him when he said that he would leave the communicator open and talking about Tom & Roger still being out there, and 2. Scrap's illusion powers being overused & coming off like a deus ex machina. A few less illusions and a little more work from the hero would have been better. After all, the book is called "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet", not "Scrap's Sidekick, Tom Corbett".

Other than those quibbles, an entertaining story.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 03:26:01 AM »

PhilV: I haven't heard any Tom Corbett radio shows, but I do have a VHS of one of his TV episodes. Have you seen any of them? They might as well have been radio plays because the show's effects budget was like five bucks. The episode I have involves the Polaris in a battle with several other spaceships. During the entire encounter Tom and friends stare into an (unseen) viewscreen and describe to each other what's happening. Ouch!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »

There are episodes available on youtube, here:-
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tom+corbett+space+cadet
But that lack of a special effects budget was the same for Space Patrol, as well, wasn't it? ( The American show, that is, as opposed to the Euro. puppet show which is titled Planet Patrol in N. America, and is much better despite the sometimes dodgy, jerky puppetry.)
Excellent, exciting cover on this issue, but I'll wait till I've read it all to say more.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 04:21:45 AM »

Not sure if it was Tom Corbet but some of the old Sci Fi TV series episodes only survived because a man who worked for the network was told to clear out the old film canisters and dump them but instead he stashed them in his garage. His daughter found them decades later and realized their historical importance.

I'd like to have found this "Space Patrol" prop.
http://www.roadsideresort.com/stories/the-luer-meat-rocket
ip icon Logged

Philv

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 05:52:48 AM »

Finished the story.  Not too bad.  The way they went between Mars and Earth in such a short time took me out of the story a little bit.  With today's technology, it would take at least six months to get to Mars. :) I thought the little Martian Monkey, Picpup was pretty cool.

This address at archive.org has 30 plus radio episodes of Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.  If you search the site, there is lots of Tom Corbett stuff.

https://archive.org/details/SpaceCadet2

I liked the story enough to check out the other 7 in the series here on the comic book plus site. :)

ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »

Alright! I'm actually getting this one in on time. Pretty good choice for a Corbett book. An interesting story with perfectly adequate art. Although Lehti isn't my favorite Corbett artist (I prefer the later Frank Thorne issues), he was, indeed, a very talented man with a fine body of work. Along with his numerous Dell assignments he also worked on "The Crimson Avenger", some Tarzan dailies, sold his own Sunday feature "Tales from the Great Book" which ran almost twenty years, and even did some later "Sgt. Rock" for DC. The story didn't waste any time getting the action started- we had a street brawl, a murder, and a mystery by the third page. Also a new member of the team, the picpup. Granted, this little critter was a bit overused, but he still came in pretty handy. Heck, he even showed the cadets where they needed to go just by sabotaging the class slide-show. (They would still have used these?) Anyway, it's quickly on to Mars- which just happens to have an atmosphere and a comfortable temperature- who knew? Lots more fighting and a dramatic rescue, death of a diehard fanatic, and peace at last. And ,yes, Manning gets his in the end.  I don't remember seeing Tom Corbett on TV, but I do remember watching two of his competitors, "Rocky Jones" and "Flash Gordon". Loved them as a young kid, but seeing them now- Yeesh! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 04:44:12 AM »

Ages ago, when I was in grade school, I think the school library had copies of three old juvenile novels about Tom Corbett and his friends. I read them. (In those days, I was willing to read anything that had a "science fiction" label on it. These days, I am slightly more restrained.)

It was many years later that I ran across a reference somewhere which told me that Tom Corbett had once had a TV show back in the 1950s, and thus I belatedly realized the books had been based on the show and trying to cash in on its popularity, instead of just being things an author had written for a juvenile market once upon a time when he had nothing better to do. And until now, I didn't realize there had ever been a licensed comic book series, either. (Nor a radio series, as far as that goes. Maybe I'll listen to some of it.)

I just finished reading the story. Not bad as such things went in the mid-20th Century, but I do have two complaints about the characterization. One happened very early on (the second panel of the story) when Captain Strong reported they hadn't been able to find the missing professor in their recent search of the Great Red Desert.

Commander Norland promptly said: "I expected you to fail, Captain Strong! Did you think you and your crew of raw space cadets could succeed where my experienced patrols failed?"

I blinked. How did he rise to high rank in what is supposedly a very professional futuristic high-tech military outfit if he has that kind of childish attitude and gross lack of courtesy towards subordinates who are just following orders as best they can? I'm reminded of a question I once saw a character (a space navy officer) ask regarding the counterproductive behavior of a fellow commissioned officer in another science fiction story I once read: "Did he go to a special anti-leadership school?"

The other point that really bothered me was further on, when the cadets kept sneaking Scraps into places where his illusion-generating power could -- as a superior officer had very astutely warned them! -- cause serious confusion and even injury to persons or property. Remember when that fellow cadet tries to place some equipment on closet shelves? Remember how it falls to the floor as the "shelves" vanish? Remember how the instructor scolds the hapless cadet, and Tom and Astro keep their mouths shut instead of standing up and accepting responsibility for what happened?

What kind of message did that send to impressionable young readers regarding the ethics of letting someone else take the rap for something that was your own fault? I might expect such behavior of a ten-year-old schoolboy with little sense of social responsibility, but I don't expect it from space cadets who already seem to be grown men who are trusted to participate in life-and-death missions while under military discipline. (Not if we're supposed to see these space cadets as "heroic figures," anyway, which seems to be the general idea, what with Tom Corbett being the title character and all!) 
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »

Here we go with my first read of a Tom Corbett comic. I am not exactly sure what is happening on the cover and I am guessing after reading the book I'll still be none the wiser. But anyway it's a cool start ... let's hope it stays that way!

And it does!! I have a new saying "Imps of Saturn"  .. not sure I like the Commander of the Solar Guard on Mars. I hope he'll soon realize that Tom and the crew are not the rookies he thinks they are!

Ok so who are the Outlaws of Bor Borito? I am liking this! Blimey!! I now want a Martian Picpup ... I realize it is going to cause a fair bit of trouble, but hopefully it won't need walking like my dogs do! By the Craters of Luna! This story is rather good!

Right politics are coming out now! The Solar Guard and the Outlaws are all friendly. The leader of the Outlaws Bor Borito (who sounds like some sort of packed snack) is going to get off for the murder of the beggar and the assassin, Tal Mikar, is the one going to take the fall. Bor Borito claims innocence in the whole affair. Typical! Don't blame Tal Mikar for objecting!

Well that ended and it was good, verging on excellent. It had a real feel of an old TV sci-fi show. The small facial gestures in the art certainly contributed to this. I certainly want to read, watch and listen to more Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:24:21 PM »

Lorendiac, your comments point up a central paradox in the Tom Corbett series. On the one hand Tom and his two friends got to go along on the tough missions as if they were already seasoned veterans. Though Captain Strong usually accompanied them, the trio frequently acted independently like "grownups." At the same time, they were supposed to be college kids, into playing pranks, making big mistakes, and (in Roger's case) acting like fools. The Corbett books invented a backstory showing Tom, Astro and Roger first coming to the Academy. It suggested the three were at the most 19 or 20 years old. (The actors in the TV show were obviously older than that, but this was true for lots of "teenagers" in 1950s TV and movies.) This contradiction was never addressed, so we have the cadets chasing space pirates like full-fledged officers one moment and pulling dumb, potentially-dangerous stunts with the picpup the next.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:32 AM »

so we have the cadets chasing space pirates like full-fledged officers one moment and pulling dumb, potentially-dangerous stunts with the picpup the next.

Like Midshipmen in the Horatio Hornblower novels.

You get the idea that so very few of the Earth population are at all suited for extended space travel that the services have to take on young and often immature crewmen who get the benefit of on the job training.
If they live through their first few missions they'll be worth the resources invested in more training.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

Very enjoyable but a bit frustrating because of the Roger character.  This is simple entertainment and while well drawn, the reader has to go with the ignorance of astronomy of the time - Mars having a breathable atmosphere and high enough temperature to wander around in without environment suits, plus the time space travel with their "rocket" would have taken - and the lack of imagination re. technology.  I really would have liked the writer(s) to have tried to come up with futuristic tech.  But it is a story and no worse than lots of other s.f. in books and comics from the period.
The Martian pet was a bit overused but it was vitally important to the story.  Actually, what I usually do dislike are those daft "humourous" interludes, like the shelves.  Still enjoyed the story and have downloaded the rest.
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

Very enjoyable but a bit frustrating because of the Roger character.  This is simple entertainment and while well drawn, the reader has to go with the ignorance of astronomy of the time - Mars having a breathable atmosphere and high enough temperature to wander around in without environment suits, plus the time space travel with their "rocket" would have taken - and the lack of imagination re. technology.  I really would have liked the writer(s) to have tried to come up with futuristic tech.  But it is a story and no worse than lots of other s.f. in books and comics from the period.

On the other hand . . . the Wikipedia entry on "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" says the series was loosely based on a novel by Robert A. Heinlein called "Space Cadet" (a novel I've read several times -- it does not use the same character names, however).

Heinlein was a trained engineer and must have known what spectrographic analysis had already said (by the late 1940s) about such things as the atmospheric composition of Mars and of Venus -- but in "Space Cadet" he had his teenage cadets spend considerable time running around on the surface of Venus, which he described as being covered with swamps and a very Earthlike atmosphere. Did he know better? Of course he did -- but like many other science fiction writers of the first half of the 20th Century, he sacrificed "accurate atmospheric chemistry" in favor of "dramatic opportunities." So whoever wrote scripts for the TV episodes, comic books, etc., must have simply been following in Heinlein's footsteps. I have long since grown accustomed to just shrugging off such irregularities as "in this fictional universe or that, from decades ago, an Earthman can run outside and take deep breaths of that fresh Venusian or Martian air."

Actually, you've reminded me of something amusing. I once read a book collecting various short writings (fiction and nonfiction) by Larry Niven, who has a well-earned reputation for writing "hard science fiction." (Meaning that when he's constructing a plot, deciding what his characters will or won't be able to do under certain circumstances, he actually worries about keeping track of the laws of physics and other awkward little details which some "science fiction writers" prefer to gloss over.)

At one point in the book, Niven reminisced about a time in the 1980s when he and Jerry Pournelle (who has collaborated with him on several bestselling novels over the years) were approached about working on plotting out some ideas for sequels to the original prose novel which had introduced the character of "Buck Rogers" to the world. Very loosely paraphrased from my imperfect memory, Niven indicated that at one point their joint brainstorming went approximately this way:

"Fans will know that Buck Rogers used to do a lot of traveling to other planets in the solar system -- and could breathe the atmosphere when he got there. Those worlds aren't particularly Earthlike, are they?"

"Well, no, not now they aren't! But this is only  the 20th Century. Remember, Rogers was sound asleep for 500 years before waking up in the 25th Century. A lot can change in that amount of time! What if some practical joker with incredible high-tech resources had spent a few centuries carefully remodeling various bits of our solar system in order to greatly raise the value of those other planets as useful real estate?"

"Say, you just might be on to something! And Rogers was so ignorant of the astronomical facts, as they were already known in the early 20th Century, that he never realized anything was wrong? Having him start to piece it all together could serve as the backbone of a plot for a new novel, all by itself! Let's run with that idea: What else did those high-tech alien visitors do to rearrange things while he snoozing -- aside from terraforming a few planets, of course? And how would Rogers eventually catch on to the fact that some of the things he described in the first novel should not be taken entirely at face value?"

That's one way to reconcile sharp discrepancies between "Mars and Venus as we see them now," and "Mars and Venus as they are seen by an action hero when he visits them in the distant future"! :)
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »

Earth itself was terraformed in a manner of speaking in the distant past.
Earth as it was then was smaller, had a small magnetic core and weak magnetic field.
A wandering planetoid smashed into our Earth and gave up part of its mass and its own magnetic core. The lighter debris formed a ring that coalesced into our moon.
After all those changes Earth had enough mass to hold a breathable atmosphere , a magnetic field strong enough to protect us from cosmic rays, and a moon whose influence regulates many biological functions while it also has acted as a debris shepard and as a shield to protect Earth from some truly massive asteroid collisions, the scars visible to this day on the lunar surface.

For millions perhaps billions of years afterwards this vastly altered planet was "without form and void". A Tabula Rasa for the blue print of life.

In the short run Flash Gordon TV series of the 50's one episode involved the sabotage of an atmosphere plant on a planetoid. The atmosphere was maintained artificially.
Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom also depended on ancient air factories to maintain a breathable atmosphere.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:28:43 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »

Saw the other night on "How the Universe Works", that, Jupiter was the planet builder/arranger in our solar system with an assist from Saturn later in the game. It was quite interesting. If not for Jupiter life and how this solar system works would be much different. Just my 2 cents....

Richard AKA Mr_Goldenage
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »

Saw the other night on "How the Universe Works", that, Jupiter was the planet builder/arranger in our solar system with an assist from Saturn later in the game. It was quite interesting. If not for Jupiter life and how this solar system works would be much different. Just my 2 cents....

Richard AKA Mr_Goldenage

Gas Giants seem to be more common than Earth sized planets. Or at least the giants are much easier to detect over vast distances which is only logical.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.