in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,778 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 29 - Blackstone Master Magician Comics v1 #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 29 - Blackstone Master Magician Comics v1 #1  (Read 2246 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 29 - Blackstone Master Magician Comics v1 #1
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »

Well last week's book was well received by the reading group, and rightly so. Whilst no masterpiece, it was a well worked spinoff. I am hoping that the magic will continue for us with another spinoff in Blackstone Master Magician Comics v1 #1. Which can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29511. We are concentrating on the big story "From Film To Life".

I am not sure about the artwork, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the stories and other text will be good! Let
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 29 - Blackstone Master Magician Comics v1 #1
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:03:24 AM »

From Film to Life - I guess with the licensing cost they couldn't afford to hire a top-notch artist. As for the story... Owwwwwww... Knowing Blackstone was a real magician I expected that the writers would be restrained to only using "magic" that stage magicians can do, so I looked at the tricks trying to figure them out which gave me a headache, because the writers were writing his adventures as if he actually had magic powers. Ugh. As a story with magic powers I'd say it was an okay piece of fluff.

Blackstone and his Super Magic - Nice little write up and some simple tricks.

Blackstone Solves the Sealed Vault Mystery - Okay.

Blackstone Does Magic That You Can Do To - More simple tricks. (Well, I guess they wouldn't want to give away the big ones. "No, Billy! You may not saw your sister in half!" "Aww, mom..."  ;) )
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:40 AM »

(I just finished typing up some first reactions to the lead story, and now I'm going to bed after I post 'em.)

I've heard of Blackstone as a real-life magician, but never really studied him. I just knew the name, and had garnered the general impression that in his day he was highly regarded as one of the best in the business. (Following in the footsteps of Harry Houdini, I suppose.)

So after I read the lead story in this comic, I took a few minutes to read portions of his Wikipedia page. Which told me that the Blackstone comics -- presumably including this one -- were written by the late, great Walter Gibson, the same guy who wrote the majority of the old pulp novels about The Shadow. This did not come as a huge surprise; I was vaguely aware that Gibson himself had studied stage magic and was friendly with other magicians. In fact, I think I've read at least 2 or 3 Shadow novels from the 30s and 40s which each had practitioners of stage magic heavily involved in the plot -- presumably Gibson drawing upon actual knowledge of that subculture to add some colorful touches which would thrill his non-magician readers.

Anyway, back to the comic: When I started reading it, I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of "magic." Would the author go for nitty-gritty realism, with Blackstone simply bewildering his enemies with his impressive tricks to get them psychologically off-balance, looking the wrong way at the wrong time when it mattered most? Or would he appear to be using "real magic," putting him on a similar footing with supernaturally-empowered but-purely-fictional magician-heroes such as Mandrake, Zatara, Margo the Magician, and plenty of other Golden Age characters? (Just how many magician-heroes were there in that era, anyway?)

By the time Rhoda had somehow wandered off the screen into a junkyard, and lost a slipper there, I was pretty sure this was "really happening" -- instead of there simply being a flat image of a junkyard right in front of her as she remained physically within the theatre. I was unsurprised when the slipper later turned up in the actual junkyard, instead of having fallen out of sight anywhere inside the theatre.

Looking back at that scene just now, I see Blackstone saying firmly to Rhoda: "Hop back into this picture before it switches to our own film, or there's no telling where we'll wind up."

In context, the strong implication was that he knew that the film was somehow magical (at least when he wanted it to be), and that he knew how to use it to jump around in space -- from the theatre into the film itself, and then to the actual location where the film had been shot, and back again -- taking her along for the ride -- as if he were actually casting some sort of teleportation spell. But if they "missed their connection," they might not be able to jump right back to the stage in the theatre, which could mean a very long walk home?

This disappointed me -- I'd been hoping for the "realistic" approach to the adventures of a stage magician, instead of sheer escapism. I can get escapism (actual magic spells performed with a wave of the hand) in any of a zillion comic books or fantasy novels; I'd been thinking it would be a nice change of pace to only see Blackstone do things a stage magician in real life might be able to do, even if most of them were never truly explained to the reader, thus leaving us to guess as to some of the details.

I was a bit disappointed by the sudden transition to Blackstone and Rhoda, now dressed for the street, "just happening" to walk right past the actual bank. There's absolutely no reason offered for why they are there in the first place. They don't seem to think they are doing detective work. On the other hand, they don't seem to have ever stood in front of that bank on any previous day in the week or so since it's been robbed, so it's not that the bank is conveniently located on their usual path to and from the hotel or boarding house or whatever in which they are currently residing.

It also seems a bit odd that the bank robbers are still right there in the same neighborhood, with the loot hidden in a junkyard literally located right next to the bank, a week after the robbery. Nor am I terribly clear on why they assume that, out of all the hundreds of females who must walk down that street each day, a stray slipper found in the junkyard was probably lost by the girl currently walking alongside Blackstone the magician. Nor am I clear on why they care so much. If they're afraid that one silly slipper "proves" someone has been snooping around looking for the loot, and coming frighteningly close to the exact spot where it's concealed, then wouldn't it be more sensible to grab the loot and relocate it to some other place, a few miles away? Why waste precious time on Blackstone and his assistant when there's no telling what (if anything) they already know, or whom they have told? Why not just take the money and run?

Despite these points which bothered me about the internal logic of the plot, I admit it was quite entertaining to see the wrap-up, as Blackstone somehow trapped these thugs inside an Arabian travelogue film, then carried the reel of film to a prison, played it back, released those guys from inside the film, and let the Warden and his prison guards take it from there! If you grant the premise about his having true magic powers, as established with the earlier scene involving the newsreel footage, then it makes perfect sense that he could use that same power to trap people he didn't like within another reel of film.

It was also interesting to see that Rhoda, while apparently having complete confidence in her boss all throughout the story, initially didn't think he could possibly be working any true magic. "I couldn't have really lost the slipper in the junkyard, because I couldn't possibly have been there," she says firmly on Page 8.

Which makes it more surprising that she took it so calmly when he later used a magic whistle to indubitably teleport her away from the gang's clutches in the proverbial blink of an eye, with her materializing onstage while the thugs are literally left holding the bag (the one in which they had trapped her a minute earlier, but now it's suddenly empty instead of containing a hundred pounds or so of gorgeous blond). I think a girl being pursued by brutal bank robbers with guns would be fully entitled to scream occasionally, but she seemed to just shrug it off, then and later. (And she didn't even seem to expect combat pay for all she was going through. Who says you can't get good help these days?)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:43:28 AM by Lorendiac »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »

"Flick! Flick! Flick! Flick!    POOF!   What's going on here? :o ;)
At least Mandrake gestures hypnotically. 
Can't take much more of this so a rest is needed while I gather my strength to go back to it.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »

We start off with a cool cover, and the inside front cover has an advertisement. For just one buck I can get Blackstone's favorite tricks and a free 48 page book by Walter B. Gibson, who I believe was the brains behind a lot of the franchise.

Well it started off ok  .. then I got 100% (and a bit more) confused. It was a filmed illusion, and somehow it all became real. And the crooks are worried about a slipper for some unknown reason and easily matched the pair and will spot who is wearing them on stage. I think I might have dropped a big clanger choosing this book.

Now an article page, that tells us all about the good works and selfless actions of Blackstone. I am not sure that giving away rabbits (100,000+) to kids in the audience is a very good idea. Especially if you are a rabbit! Suddenly it's 40,000. Anyway, he's a jolly good chap.

OK we now have some tricks to do coolio
ip icon Logged

Philv

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »

It's cool that the last two weeks of comics have old radio show ties.  :) After reading this week's comic, I started listening to the Blackstone shows on archive.org

Truthfully, they are all better than the first story in this comic.  I just couldn't get into the jumping into the film plot.  That would have been fine for a sci-fi or fantasy story, but Blackstone needs to have an element of reality.  The second story about the sealed vault was much better.  I didn't catch the purpose of the hooded figures, but they did make the story more exciting.  :)

The tricks given in the comic are similar to the way the radio shows are set up.  I tried the ring finger trick and it really worked! In the radio shows, Blackstone is more of a detective, using clues and logic to solve mysteries, and that ties in better with the second story.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »

I just don't know what to say about this one. I've read several Blackstone comics, and I like the character, but this is probably the worst-written Blackstone story I have yet read. I usually try to give a comic the benefit of a doubt, but with such a confusing and over-complicated plot device this story just makes no sense whatsoever. I rather like Gibson's work, but he sure missed the boat on this one! The art was adequate- pretty average Golden Age stuff. I found the second Blackstone tale much better than the first, with Gibson's writing really reflecting some of his pulp work. As a magic fan, I did enjoy all the little fillers and have learned a couple tricks to spring on the granddaughters. Except for the first story, this was a pretty good read, although other issues are much better. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »

Little Nemo this is not. I think they were trying to figure out what to do with the character. Blackstone later became star of Super Magician and had some interesting stories there. Street and Smith got the character so they are not PD. The comics do seem to take a lot of liberties. S&S did a major overhaul on Doc Savage from pulp to comic.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »

I've been short on time thanks to preparing for and going to the Comic Con. I only had time to read the main feature. I join the majority who found "Film to Life" fatally confusing. I should have known something was up when Blackstone blithely introduced the "electronic screen composed of light waves." After that the writer couldn't seem to decide how the magic worked. At first the filmed "illusion" is just that. Then it's a portal that teleports a person to a previously-filmed location. Then we learn Blackstone can magically alter the events and interact with objects in the film. Then he and Rhoda hop into the film "to handle matters there," pulling banana revolvers from filmed trees and becoming bulletproof because "we're in a movie." Finally the screen becomes a dimensional portal that traps the crooks and coughs them back up when Blackstone's film is projected before the warden.

In other words, this story is a bleeping MESS! Magic whistle, my patootie! And what's with the giant bunny?

Artwork was serviceable but nothing special. By the way, was that Charles Voight drawing the "Sealed Vault Mystery"? I really like the logo lettering on that one.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.