in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Completed Series and near complete series on GAC!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

topic icon Author Topic: Completed Series and near complete series on GAC!  (Read 55342 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Completed Series and near complete series on GAC!
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:56:18 PM »

;D ;D
At kusunoki's suggestion here is a thread where anyone that notices a series in complete on GAC can add it to the list.

Also any titles within a few issues of being complete might be noted with which issues are needed.

------------

NYOKA (Fawcett) is one issue short of a complete run - #63 being needed.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:08:16 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Completed Series and near complete series on GAC!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »

Lets not forget PLANET COMICS (Fiction House) other than a few missing pages ( text and covers mainly) this is just about complete.

Needless to say a few PAPER replacements for some of those Fiche scans would still be more than welcome though.

-Nigel
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:08:02 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:09:03 PM »

Can't forget my own 'Pet Project' -POLICE COMICS from Quality, apart from an incomplete copy of issue #45 we are now only one issue (102) short of a Complete run of ALL the 'Plastic Man' issues.

From number 103 there was a change in format to Cops and Crime Material and we still have a number of gaps to fill here:

103-107,109,110,112-118, 120 121, 123-127 (last issue).

Although I understand that Jon The Scanner has a number of these issues and hopes to oneday plug up a few more gaps.

Looking at a couple of short run Quality titles we seem to have a complete nine issue run of BUCCANEERS, This continued the numbering from KID ETERNITY but we are still five issues away from completing this eighteen issue run (001,005, 009,010, and 014) but we are just one issue (#13) away from finishing off the quirky BARKER series.

Also I think we can be proud of the FULL 85 issue run of SMASH COMICS not to mention all five issues of its continuation LADY LUCK.

-Nigel
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:09:49 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »

FH's 'GHOSTS' is a Completed Series.
As is FH's 'INDIANS', 'LONGBOW' and 'MONSTER'

:)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:41:10 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »

Croyden's 3 issues of Variety Comics
We also have several one shots
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:10:44 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 05:31:27 AM »

Under Completed I notice we've got several ACG series:
COOKIE as well as 'OUT OF THE NIGHT', 'SPY & COUNTERSPY', 'SPY HUNTERS', 'SKELETON HAND', and the short 'SEARCH FOR LOVE.'

For ACE we are only missing the centre fold for ATOMIC WAR #4 for the complete run.  We are darn close on their 'WEB OF MYSTERY' title, only needing 9 more issues.

For CENTAUR the only title darn close to a complete run is their 'STARS and STRIPES COMICS' which only needs #6.

CHARLTAN has a couple: 'NYOKA' and 'RACKET SQUAD'

COMIC MEDIA 'DEATH VALLEY' is only missing #5

LEV GLEASON'S epic 'DAREDEVIL COMICS' is close only needing 9 more issues and assorted fills.  Most are fiche so we would love to have those as paper scans.

For FAWCETT we've got a few completed - 'AMERICA'S GREATEST COMICS', 'NICKEL COMICS', 'SLAM BANG COMICS'

We only need a few CAPT. MARVEL ADVEN. - #51(larger needed),107,116,122,123,128,149,150
Marvel Family
only #22 is missing, SPY SMASHER only needs #10.

And we can't forget BLAZING COMICS where we only need JVJ's #1 and we've got the complete 5 issue run!

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 05:50:19 AM »

Another series listed under 'Charlton' is YELLOWJACKET and last time I checked this was VERY close to completion needing only some colour pages for the first issue and Number Nine to give us the set.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 09:37:57 AM »

Under Completed I notice we've got several ACG series:
COOKIE as well as 'OUT OF THE NIGHT', 'SPY & COUNTERSPY', 'SPY HUNTERS', 'SKELETON HAND', and the short 'SEARCH FOR LOVE.'

For ACE we are only missing the centre fold for ATOMIC WAR #4 for the complete run.  We are darn close on their 'WEB OF MYSTERY' title, only needing 9 more issues.

For CENTAUR the only title darn close to a complete run is their 'STARS and STRIPES COMICS' which only needs #6.

CHARLTAN has a couple: 'NYOKA' and 'RACKET SQUAD'

COMIC MEDIA 'DEATH VALLEY' is only missing #5

LEV GLEASON'S epic 'DAREDEVIL COMICS' is close only needing 9 more issues and assorted fills.  Most are fiche so we would love to have those as paper scans.

For FAWCETT we've got a few completed - 'AMERICA'S GREATEST COMICS', 'NICKEL COMICS', 'SLAM BANG COMICS'

We only need a few CAPT. MARVEL ADVEN. - #51(larger needed),107,116,122,123,128,149,150
Marvel Family
only #22 is missing, SPY SMASHER only needs #10.

And we can't forget BLAZING COMICS where we only need JVJ's #1 and we've got the complete 5 issue run!

-Yoc

What is the ideal size for CBR?  It is as easy, (or fiddly), to make them full screen as in Planet Stories No. 1 as it is to leave wide margins which is the norm.  Can you get members opinions on this?
Hoover
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: cbr sizes
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »

Hi Hoover,
Well there really isn't any Right and Wrong way to do these things.
The size of cbr or cbz depends on a few things.

1. How many pages in the actual book and will you be including ads?  A typical GA book is 68pgs in the early 40s.  By 1950+ it's down to 52 and for some 36pgs.

2. What size and resolution will you be using?  150-300 dpi is the norm.  A final page size of 1500 pixels high is good.  Some like a larger scan and will do 300 dpi with pages 2300+ pixels high.

3. Do you plan to crop the boarders off the page?  I personally try to crop very little but if it looks 'goofy' with huge boarders I will do some minor cropping.  In the early days of the internet when many were on dial-up connections cropping out the margins saved on bandwidth so it made sense.  Today with high-speed being so common the need isn't there anymore.  So it become a personal preference thing.
I like a scan to look as much like the original book as possible UNLESS it's extremely yellow in which I will lightly colour correct it.

4. I'm sure there are other variables I'm forgetting.  But in the end a cbr between 30 and 70 odd MB is a good size.  Again, that's in my personal opinion.  I've seen much larger and smaller.  Bottom line - it's up to the scanner.  Once the scans are released a downloader can tweak them to what he likes if it really bothers him.

Good luck,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 05:15:36 PM »

Yes, I try to give the scan as much realism from the original pages as possible depending on the shape of the book one is working from.

Some of those old birds are just lucky to have made it thru the years and anything one can do to help them along is appreciated be it adjusting the color tones or cleaning up the mold stains.

My vote is for full screen with a bit of the white borders around the panels showing.

There are a number of quality scanners on board the GAC train that make me wonder how they accomplish some of the things they do. The art of scanning with the continuing advance of technology makes it a deeper and deeper field to practice in and always subject to change.

Cheers
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 08:28:51 PM »

Near complete or complete series I'm working on:

ACG adventure
Spy & Counter Spy / Spy Hunters 1-24 all scanned
Commander Battle complete once Geo scans 1-2
Operation Peril paper has been located for all but 6 16 though many
       remain unscanned
Soldiers of Fortune paper has been located for all but 6 13 though
       many remain unscanned
Young Heroes 35-37 complete
Blazing West / Hooded Horseman paper has been located for all
       many remain unscanned

ACG Humor
Cookie 1-55 complete
Kilroys 1-54 mostly scanned. paper found but unscanned 2 6 9 18 24
     need to locate 7 8 11 16 20 21 27 30 46 51 53

ACG Fantasy
Out of the Night 1-17 complete
Gasp 1-4 complete (but not GA)
Midnight Mystery 1-7 complete
Skeleton Hand 1-6 complete
Advs into the Unknown 1-174 (not all GA) all located except 59 82
      76 and 91 have been located but need scanning
Forbidden Worlds 1-145 (not all GA) mostly scanned need to scan 29
      need to locate 30

Charlton Crime
Badge of Justice 22, 2-4 all scanned
Crime and Justice 1-26 (no 22, see above)  all located except 7 and 12 most not scanned
Rookie Cop 27-33 all located half scanned
Lawbreakers 1-9 / Lawbreakers Suspense 10-15 all located except 7 11 15 none scanned
Police Trap 5-6 both on loan from JVJ will be scanned soon
Public Defender 7-12 #7 needs to be located #8 9 12 need to be scanned
Sherlock Holmes 1-2  #1 scanned #2 needs to be found

Walt Kelly
Animal Comics 1-30  many are scanned. 2 4 10 11 15 16 29 need to
        be scanned -- #1 needs to be located PLEASE!!!!
Our Gang 1-57  I'm not sure if this is PD or not, but I need to
        locate 7 8

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:49:00 PM by JonTheScanner »
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
Re: cbr sizes
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 09:06:54 PM »

Hi Hoover,
Well there really isn't any Right and Wrong way to do these things.
The size of cbr or cbz depends on a few things.

1. How many pages in the actual book and will you be including ads?  A typical GA book is 68pgs in the early 40s.  By 1950+ it's down to 52 and for some 36pgs.

2. What size and resolution will you be using?  150-300 dpi is the norm.  A final page size of 1500 pixels high is good.  Some like a larger scan and will do 300 dpi with pages 2300+ pixels high.

3. Do you plan to crop the boarders off the page?  I personally try to crop very little but if it looks 'goofy' with huge boarders I will do some minor cropping.  In the early days of the internet when many were on dial-up connections cropping out the margins saved on bandwidth so it made sense.  Today with high-speed being so common the need isn't there anymore.  So it become a personal preference thing.
I like a scan to look as much like the original book as possible UNLESS it's extremely yellow in which I will lightly colour correct it.

4. I'm sure there are other variables I'm forgetting.  But in the end a cbr between 30 and 70 odd MB is a good size.  Again, that's in my personal opinion.  I've seen much larger and smaller.  Bottom line - it's up to the scanner.  Once the scans are released a downloader can tweak them to what he likes if it really bothers him.

Good luck,
-Yoc

Thanks to both Yoc and Rez for their replies.
Hoover
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 01:43:56 AM »

Can't forget my own 'Pet Project' -POLICE COMICS from Quality, apart from an incomplete copy of issue #45 we are now only one issue (102) short of a Complete run of ALL the 'Plastic Man' issues.

From number 103 there was a change in format to Cops and Crime Material and we still have a number of gaps to fill here:

103-107,109,110,112-118, 120 121, 123-127 (last issue).

Although I understand that Jon The Scanner has a number of these issues and hopes to one day plug up a few more gaps.

I own Police 104 106 112-5 117-9 121 123 124 126
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 01:48:50 AM »

For FAWCETT
-Yoc

In addition,
13 missing 3 pages
59 missing 2 centerfolds
72 missing first wrap inside the covers
88 missing 7 pages
89 missing 6 page
93 missing 5 pages
100 missing 2 pages
135 missing ifc ibc bc
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 01:42:45 AM »

For Harvey:
Race for the Moon, done.
Alarming Tales, will be done with #3 from JVJ's collection.

Geo

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »

Another close series is Fawcett's WOW COMICS.
Wow only needs 29,32,33,37,45 and 52
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 12:07:39 AM »

(DM crosses his arms and looks meaningfully at Powder Solvang:)

Well?

;)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 03:52:33 AM »

No pressure Powder, you're doing a GREAT JOB with everything!
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 04:56:54 AM »

Another one to add that the series is complete: Lost Worlds #5 and #6 (both are scanned now thanks to JVJ).

Geo
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »

More COMPLETE SERIES -

Charltan -
Blue Beetle (1955 series), Bo
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »

Captain Video series is now finished, supplied missing issues via JVJ's generosity.

Geo
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 04:17:44 AM »

Here's what we need on some near-completes from my favorite GA company, Fawcett:
ALL HERO COMICS #1
BULLETMAN #11, 12
CAPTAIN MARVEL STORY BOOK #3
CAPTAIN MARVEL THRILL BOOK #1
CRIME SMASHER #1
IBIS THE INVINCIBLE #4, 5
In addition to the aforementioned NYOKA and MARVEL FAMILY.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »

Another series listed under 'Charlton' is YELLOWJACKET and last time I checked this was VERY close to completion needing only some colour pages for the first issue and Number Nine to give us the set.

-Nigel

If I remember correctly, I should have most, if not all, of these, too. I think they are off visiting Hames Ware right now, but are supposed to be in the mail back to me shortly (maybe even by Monday). Make a list, GEO.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »

I Think Yellowjacket_009 should go on the 'must have' list and as I understand it there was also a 'Yellowjacket jnr' spin off in one of the later Charltons, I believe that Yoc might know the exact issue.

Thanks for loaning out all those books Jim, your a STAR in my book.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 07:07:06 AM »

Yellowjacket Jr. appears in Zoo Comics # 1, 1945.
Sure would be fun to see that story as well as the missing YJ books!

-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.