in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Horror recommendations?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Horror recommendations?  (Read 2584 times)

Rachel Thorn

message icon
Horror recommendations?
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »

I've recently started teaching English to Japanese students in our Faculty of Manga at Kyoto Seika University, and got the clever idea of a course with a horror theme. (Since last year I've already been teaching one with a superhero theme.) I want to do it the way I do my superhero course, working my way from the Golden Age up to the present. The problem is, I just haven't read a lot of horror comics! Naturally I've read some E.C. horror, but apart from that, I don't know very much. Short stories are best, as are stories that are more or less coherent and not horribly written. Stories worth reading just because there are hilariously awful or goofy are very much welcome, but high quality stories would be great, too. And of course, stories available here on Comic Book + would make things that much easier for me, but I'm also looking for stuff from the Silver and Bronze Ages.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Horror recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:54:12 PM »

Heres a pulp horror mag that might suit your audience.
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=37732

The story "Ooze" reminds me of Japanese sci fi horror of the 50's and early 60's.
ip icon Logged

Rachel Thorn

message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:41:24 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation, Captain Audio. Re-reading my post, I see that I was not sufficiently clear. I need comic book stories, preferably 6-8 pages long, no longer than 16 pages. The English ability of our students is pretty low. Okay, it's really, really low. There would probably be no more than two students in a class of thirty who could plow through two pages of "Ooze" and be able to make heads or tails of it.  :-\
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »

Well I'm sure any one of them speaks and reads English better than I would Japanese. I actually learned a bit of Japanese when a youngster but it didn't stick unfortunately.

Anyway i'll try to find some illustrated stories more suited to your purpose.

While you are on this subject you might want to trace the connections between Western horror literature and Japanese film and literature. "Attack of the Mushroom People" for example seems to be based on the short story "the Voice in the Night" by William Hope Hodgson.
I wonder how much western horror stories have influenced Japanese horror, though the more traditional monsters and demons are definitely home grown.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.