in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Scottish referendum

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Scottish referendum  (Read 1917 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Scottish referendum
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:12:40 AM »

For those of you unaware of it, today is voting day in the referendum to decide whether Scotland should be an independent country.  Only 2 choices on the ballot paper, yes or no. The UK govt. decided there was no need for a 3rd option of Devo max.  An option which it now appears, would have won the day.  With the polls so close that predictions are impossible, many in Westminster are now seriously concerned at the prospect of a result they didn't believe possible 2 years ago.
Polling stations are open and Linda and I are about to go and cast our votes. As 97% of those eligible to vote have registered, the polling stations are very busy. 
Tomorrow morning all will be revealed.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Scottish referendum
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »

A little fact. Scotland has 2 giant pandas and just one Tory MP (equivalent Republican Congressman).
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:37:29 PM »

I understand that argument that Scots and Quebeckers both advocate. The top level of government doesn't respect or endorse their political and cultural values. But I feel just as disenfranchised as they. And living in British Columbia, I know that the only way to achieve real change and recognition for my polis and my culture is through my franchise as a citizen and a voter. It's too easy for others to say, oh I'm not even going to bother to work at creating a better Britain or a better Canada--I'm just going to create my own little distinct society and screw the rest of you lot.

So the very people who could work with me and those like me to achieve those goals have decided to take their ball and go home. If everybody did that, then what good would that be?

And just because your own province or territory happens to be a little better than all the others right now, that's no guarantee that you won't end up in the soup ten or twenty years from now--maybe with an even worse despot in control of your fortunes. You've simply traded the devil you know now for a devil you don't know in the future.

We should all be invested in making a better world now, rather than settling old scores from three hundred years ago. This kind of political wrangling just serves to distract us from the real issues of our planet and lets bad men have their way. Having your own currency won't mean much when the polar ice caps have melted and you're standing in twenty feet of water where your house used to be.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »

I'm just in awe of the 85% turnout. 

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.