in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Nook users - what reader do you use?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Nook users - what reader do you use?  (Read 1747 times)

Dickason

message icon
Nook users - what reader do you use?
« on: October 03, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »

I use a Nook HD+ and find that it cannot read cbr formatted files.  I could take them apart and put them back together as cbz at the desktop, but don't really want to do that if it is not necessary.  The couple readers I have tried (CDisplayEx and Pervect Viewer) seem to have trouble finding the comics I put on the SD card. 
Still trying to find a solution but I don't want to pay for any readers unless I am fairly certain I will be happy with them.
Thanks for your considered responses.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Nook users - what reader do you use?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »

It appears that Nook does not support .cbr or .cbz files.  Calibre will convert a .cbr file to epub, which can be read on a Nook.  BUT, it seems to convert only to black and white.  Well, what would you expect, books being in b&w after all?
Converting to RAR and ZIP, respectively, then unpacking the jpegs would let you read the comic using the viewer, I think.  It's just a bit time consuming.  I use a basic, cheapo  Nook reader for books but for comics, you cannot beat a Samsung android device using Perfect Viewer.  PV now has a pdf tweak which greatly enhances the ease of viewing pdf files.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »

A general question that I have just begun pondering and will ask again elsewhere, as this is a bit earlyish in the thought process. But what other formats for downloads would be good? eBooks formats are not a strong point with me so guidance needed:

1) Converting ALL .cbr's to .cbz's

2) Converting all cbz's to .pdf?

Do people read their comics as pdf's? Is it worth it or other formats. Remembering we have nearly 30,000  books to do. It would be done programatically so I am not talking about nice edits for this and that format. Just a straight conversion. It will cost us for disk space as it will mean a server upgrade, so would it be worth it?

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »

Hi Mark,
I believe there is already a site out there that is converting our scans to PDF and sharing.  The name escapes me but I recall being warned about trojans by someone.  Library was in the name IIRC.

I've got an older Nook Simple Touch and CoolReader as well as Perfect Viewer do work.  I think you just need to have your books in a directory you can find on it.

Found this YouTube 'how-to' for the HD and Perfect Viewer -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYvTyBMI3Mk

Good luck,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.