in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 43 - Tops Comics #2000

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 43 - Tops Comics #2000  (Read 3119 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 43 - Tops Comics #2000
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »

Sorry I am a day late posting this weeks reading group choice ... blame a nasty bout of man-flu

A week or two back, a shadowy reading group character who has previously suggested a couple of titles said: "Gotta add another Tops Comics the two Black Orchid stories. Black Orchid has made a little bit of a come back in comic art commissions."

So after as slight delay, it is this week's choice. Tops Comics #2000 can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29331, and as they are short and sweet we are reading both of the Black Orchid stories.

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 43 - Tops Comics #2000
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »

1st Black Orchid story - Sooooo... Arso can bring a man back to life, but he can't figure out how to transplant an arm? You'd think that this scientific breakthrough would get a few favors including a new arm. Oh, well, odd behavior of mad scientists aside, not a bad story and an interesting heroine.

Little Moron jokes & cartoons - eh.

2nd Black Orchid story - So I take it her gimmick was losing clothes throughout the story? Shame she didn't appear in longer stories. ;-)
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 02:22:47 AM »

Wow. That's all I could say when I Googled this book and discovered a story that is just crazy enough to be true. In brief, it states that Albert and Frances Magarian were Siamese twins, joined at the hip, who avoided the prejudices of their day by living isolated in an apartment, where through an agent they freelanced comic book art! The story also says that Tops Comics was originally printed on laminated menu paper and a complete issue weighed 14 pounds! Here is the original blog post, which tells the story at length (and, may I say, rather bombastically):

http://panelologicalpantheon.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-black-orchid-and-stunning-story-of.html

This remarkable story leaves me with some questions. Plenty of strange things have happened in the comics industry, an industry that has attracted more than its share of unusual personalities. On the other hand, given that this article was posted in 2013 I'm surprised the story hasn't spread over the Internet. It's just the sort of freak-show tale that goes viral. Then there's the assertion that the Magarians worked through 1967, producing some "11,000 pages" of comic art. Bails' Who's Who offers credits only through 1947, many of them in pulps. Of course working in isolation without credit the Magarians could have produced a hundred thousand pages without ever showing up on the radar. Still you'd think that sort of output would have left a footprint, whether in the memories of editors who used their work or in the work of researchers like the Alter Ego gang who surely should have stumbled upon some reference to these prolific creators.

I also don't quite understand the statement that Tops was printed on heavy, slippery laminated stock, making "national headlines" when an issue broke apart and its scattered pages caused slips and falls. The author describes "separating [printed pages]...from their time-worn plastic prisons," that is, un-laminating the pages. Quite a task, though certainly possible depending on the quality of the original stock and the state of 1940s lamination technology. The issue of Tops on the Heritage auction site describes a more traditional comic: a brittle-paged book with a split spine. There's no mention of lamination.

There's a lot I'm not saying because experience has shown me how easy it is, once one has stated something categorically, to have one's ass handed to him on a platter when someone shows up with the evidence. For the record let's just say that I'm hungry to see more details--not so much about the Magarians as about Tops being printed on laminated menu paper, To my jaded mind that's the stranger of the two stories.

Given that background it's difficult to judge the Black Orchid objectively. Basically it's a decent Golden Age comic. The grotesque elements aren't any different from those in other GA costumed character yarns. The blog article, by the way, described the Magarians only as artists; they didn't necessarily have anything to do with the script. Their artwork is competent with occasional bursts of good. The suits of the flamethrower gang are kind of nice. The usual GA inconsistencies pop up, such as the Orchid choosing to bop a guy with a vase rather than using her paralyzing vapor.

Of course the Orchid's most notable trait, one which she shares with Sally the Sleuth, is that she ends each adventure in her underwear. One wonders why she even bothers with the coat and skirt. I like the way Dick is checking out her equipment as he says, "I know I've seen you somewhere before." The test of this sort of character is whether the heroine's figure is drawn well enough for us to care that she's in her scanties. I'd say the Orchid passes that one. She's certainly better drawn than the clothed figures.

The other features in this comic are worth checking out here at CB+. They include an aviation strip by long-time Buck Rogers artist Rick Yager and another action hero by the Magarians.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 02:30:32 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »

I have a physical copy of the book. It is more digest sized but normal pulp paper. I also have the other issue of Tops featuring Jack of Spades. Since I collect the obscure these were must haves. On to the story.

Do you wonder why the DA was given these valuable scientific papers and how often his secretary goes nosing through his classified documents? Of course Marvane would not have collaborated with Arso who obviously was a genius to be able to bring people back to life. It is something how bringing them back to life makes them slaves. Black Orchid, knowing that her ring works against the zombies, tries shooting them before using her ring again. I figured out why she has to get undressed. It is because the DA would recognize her if she were fully clothed as BO  ;D

The second story was not quite as much fun but enjoyable all the same. I agree the art was hit and miss but mostly hit. I think the Black Orchid could have been a successful character had she been in a Quality Comics title instead of a little attempt to use/gain paper allotments.

I give these stories a thumbs up. I thought that they were very enjoyable little oddballs.
ip icon Logged

Mazzucchelli

message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »

Oh, the Old comics and all their unintentional humour!
I thoroughly enjoyed this comic, and it really made laugh out loud.

Just to be brief, I will point out the moments that catched my attention:

- The heroine releases a deadly vapor from her ring!

- Doctor Arso, the main villain of the first story has a name that, if you happen to live in the UK as myself, sounds exactly what he is.

- Doctor Arso has the power of telepathy and can communicate through his mind. He also has the power to bring life to the dead. But he can
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 10:00:30 PM »

And this reading group gets you reading some things you may not normally have checked out. I have found ones that I was surprised to like as much as I did and others like the Barker that was not as good as I expected
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:45:47 AM »

I figured out why she has to get undressed. It is because the DA would recognize her if she were fully clothed as BO  ;D

Thats what I figured, he'd be looking at every thing except her face. Thats probably why so many guys can't remember what color their girlfriend's eyes are.

Could be the Black Orchid inspired the NFL to come up with the tear away jersey.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »

This is great.  A new (to me at any rate) super heroine.  The Black Orchid stories were wonderful entertainment.  Loved the strange colours.  The fact that the comic is digest sized appeals because of my interest in formats. The bad guys are really nasty and meet fitting ends.  Great costumes on the Torchmen and reminiscent of The Flaming Avenger.
A decades old mystery has also been solved by narfstar as I have a copy o the Jack of Spades issue but I never realised there were covers missing from my copy and assumed the story started on the front page - something that happened occasionally in British comics - Roy Carson; Swift Morgan; Marvelman for example.
Dr. Arso! Mazzucchelli is bang on.
There seems to have been a tradition of heroines losing their clothes and this one doesn't seem too contrived.  However, she is shown as wearing stockings in the first story but when her outer clothes come off, her stockings disappear.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 01:24:30 AM »

This one was a real treat. About time we had a super heroine story. While not up to the level of Phantom Lady or Black Cat, The Black Orchid definitely had possibilities. As mentioned earlier, with a better publisher, this lady could have been a hit. The art had a strange and surreal noirish quality which suited the stories quite well.
The intro story showed us a lady who could get shot and still jump out of bed, climb out of a second story window, cling to a ledge, and drop down to a tree. And then drive off like a maniac to fight Dr. Arso  and kick his butt. My kind of woman! Liked the vapor ring- an interesting and effective  weapon.  Also liked the disappearing outfit angle.
The second story was just as good, although the writing seemed a bit confusing. The crooks wanted Dr. M's patents, yet they demanded the whereabouts of a deed when he was captured. Also Carson saying he'd get that patent if he had to destroy all humanity doing it. Huh? What would be the point of getting it then? I must say that the flame-thrower suits were pretty cool, if somewhat misused. The Comics Code would have had a real field day with this book, but it was a quick and enjoyable read. Keep 'em coming! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 06:16:53 AM »

My, this is a strange looking book! The weak jokes at bottom of each page and the handful of humor pages did nothing for me, good or bad. So I'll just comment on the two Black Orchid stories.

The art, printing and stories are all rather primitive. I am not meaning that in a derogatory manner, as it all seems to work. Both stories actually had a bit of a plot, and were also really rather violent. The villains with the flame throwing headgear look like a cybermen-dalek cross, but predate both by quite a few years! And strangely enough after a lot of head scratching, those are all my thoughts about the book.

Verdict: A hit, which is a bit strange as I had so little to say about it. The book was enjoyable and I would read more Black Orchid. I am not sure why, making me a slightly bemused reading group member.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.