in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,778 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Need help to identify a Secret agent from the 30s

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Need help to identify a Secret agent from the 30s  (Read 2285 times)

arsen33

message icon
Need help to identify a Secret agent from the 30s
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »

Hi all!

I am making some researches about "Journal de Toto". In 1939, in this journal were published two secret agent comics "Dragon Vert" followed by "Agent secret BB". These two comics came from daily strips (likely originally published in US). The name of the secret agent in "Dragon vert" is Ben Kerrigan. It became Ben Barry in the sequel? "Agent secret BB".
Can somebody identify these strips?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Need help to identify a Secret agent from the 30s
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »

Allowing that I could be leaving myself open to ridicule by some of the really knowledgeable blokes on here, I offer the suggestion that this could be by Konstantin Kuznjecov, who did work for Journal de Toto.  But I can't read Bulgarian so don't know what's going on in the Lambiek examples.  Also, I can't make out the copyright notice on your 2 examples.
http://www.lambiek.net/artists/k/kuznjecov_k.htm
You've got me really curious.
ip icon Logged

arsen33

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »

Many thanks, you are right "Dragon Vert" or in bosnian "Zeleni zmaj" is a work by Konstantin Kuznjecov.
Now I have to find out if it is also the case of "Agent secret BB".

About the copyright: "Dragon vert" is copyrighted by Universum Press while "Agent secret BB" is by Saturnus Press...

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »

Excellent.  Can't find anything on either Universum or Saturnus Press or on Secret Agent BB.
Hopefully some of the others can clear this up.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:16:54 PM »

You might want a look at this example of Le Journal de Toto that I uploaded today.  Includes a page of Dragon Vert:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=53390
ip icon Logged

arsen33

message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:54:10 AM »

Thanks for your help and for the uploaded example of "Le Journal de Toto" (I already know this number).
In this example you find:
Page 2 : The italian comics "Saturno contro la Terra" by Scolari (scenario by Pedrocchi)
Page 3 : Then the  slavian comics Dragon Vert
Page 4 : Dick Tracy by Chester Gould
Page 5 : The US comics MYRA NORTH, SPECIAL NURSE by Ray Thompson (writer) and Charles Coll (artist)
Page 7 : The Italian comics "Will Sparrow" by Caesare Away aka Kurt Caesar
             + The one episode of the US Minute Movies by Ed Wheelam "Kidnap Mystery"
Page 8 : The italian comics "I Quattro Elementi" by Scolari (scenario by Pedrocchi)
The others are french.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »

Thanks for the contents listing.  I was aware of some of the non-American strips and Saturno contro la Terra has been reprinted in a few places. As you can see, our French language section is slowly growing and I have been reading your post on DCM re. your excellent study of Spirou.  If you don't mind, I'd like to post a link to it on our links page.  I'll put it on this evening but if you think it is inapropriate, please let me know right away and I'll delete it.  But I think it will be of interest.
ip icon Logged

arsen33

message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »

About my study of Spirou. If you just post the link to the inedispirou site as I did in the DCM forum, I think it is OK. Actually I did not find the links section on your site...
I do not run the InediSpirou site then the pages should stay on this site, and just a link to the study may be done.
Many thanks for your help.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.