in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Why I joined this site.

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Why I joined this site.  (Read 12709 times)

BillyMal

message icon
Why I joined this site.
« on: December 02, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »

Hi,my name is Bill Malovich. I'm from Quincy,Massachusetts.Just 4 miles from downtown Boston.I joined this site simply for the pleasure of spending a little time reliving old ( very old. I'm 63) memories.And to convince my grandkids that some of the golden and silver age comics were pretty damn good in their own right. As I'm now retired,I'll probably be spendinga little timehere while lazing away on the beach or on the water.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Why I joined this site.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:39:38 AM »

We are glad you joined and hope you join in the conversations
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:54:17 AM »

Hi,my name is Bill Malovich. I'm from Quincy,Massachusetts.Just 4 miles from downtown Boston.I joined this site simply for the pleasure of spending a little time reliving old ( very old. I'm 63) memories.And to convince my grandkids that some of the golden and silver age comics were pretty damn good in their own right. As I'm now retired,I'll probably be spendinga little timehere while lazing away on the beach or on the water.

The Worlds changed alot since we were youngsters but theres always something deep inside us that doesn't change, and we should be thankful that we still have that sense of wonder.
ip icon Logged

jayaramkin

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jayaramkin
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:55:55 AM »

Hello there

My name is Jayaram kinnatinkara and I am from India. I joined this site because I am a nostalgia buff having been brought up on a steady diet of comics - Captain Marvel , Superman and cowboy comics during my school days. Those memories are vivid in my mind and I was overjoyed when I came across this site.

Here's wishing you good luck, and hope that this site will continue to prosper and give me and other like minded people out there many hours of browsing pleasure.

Jayaram
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:40:58 AM »

Well Einimazz there is so much you can learn here. Jayaramkin we are glad that you found the site and know you will have much to enjoy.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 07:49:14 AM »

New member Einimazz who commented here was going to be a bit naughty. So I deleted his posts and sent him on his way before any harm was done :)
ip icon Logged

EudaemonicPlague

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: EudaemonicPlague
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »

My name is Kevin Barthelemy, and I was named after Kevin the Bold, which was still being published as a strip in newspapers when I was a kid in the sixties.  I haven't searched the site for it yet, but I'm hoping to find it here.  My mother believed the lies about comics being bad for you, so I was twelve by the time she allowed me to buy an issue of Classics Illustrated (Lord Jim).  I do have a small handful of comics from the fifties that my brother-in-law gave me out of his collection that he learned to read from.  I've never let a comic I owned leave me.  Yeah, I love comics, old and new.

* After a bit of research, it turns out that Kreigh Collins renewed copyright in 1974 for some or all of his work.  Oh well, I can still find a bit here and there.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:25:32 PM by EudaemonicPlague »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »

Good story Kevin. You're not alone in having a parent (or parents) who disapproved of comics.  So take your time and have a good look through our collection and get reading.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 01:37:34 AM »

You will have to be bold Kevin since we can not provide the strip of your youth you must venture into many new territories.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 02:47:51 AM »

Kevin the Bold was published in the MENOMONEE FALLS GAZETTE back in the '70s when I subscribed to it. I can't give a link on this site, but if you do a search on the internet you may find links to pages of the GAZETTE.

Despite being a knight from days of old, Kev the Bold is too young to be in the public domain.

When I think of Kevin the Bold, I'm reminded of a song we sang in the navy that went "In days of old, when knights were bold and women weren't particular--" And the rest is not for polite company.
ip icon Logged

meterr

message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »

I joined because I love Horror, War, Adventure and Sci-Fi comics, and wanted to learn more about them!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 01:30:00 AM »

Well Metrr you have plenty to discover here
ip icon Logged

Dick Deegan

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Dick Deegan
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 12:40:29 AM »

I am Dick Deegan a retired ole Cowboy and Manufactures Rep. I have been looking for something like this, to find out more about Red Ryder. This looks like this could be it.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 12:48:44 AM »

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2350   check that out.....

Mr_Goldenage
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »

Welcome Dick enjoy
ip icon Logged

mauzki

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: mauzki
message icon
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »

Hey, I'm Karl. I currently live in Greater London although I spent a lot of time in France when I was younger. I didn't have much interest in comic books till I discovered these reprints of 50s war comics, after recently reading some of Junji Ito's work I have got very interested in horror (Both comics and manga) thank you for reading my post, I hope to enjoy my stay on this website.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 04:59:20 PM »

Well Karl it is not horrible around here but we have plenty of horror comics for you to enjoy
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »

Hello Karl. Welcome the CB+. I also hope you enjoy your time here.
You're quite lucky to be living nr London with access to some good comic shops and marts.  I'm wee bit jealous.  As narf says, we have a good selection of horror stuff for you to rake through.
ip icon Logged

mitchell

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: mitchell
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »

I love comics and what to read the books I missed and read over the books I loved. Thats it!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 05:44:56 PM »

Good for you.  Simple, straightforward, excellent reasons.  There's a huge amount to search through, so go to it.
ip icon Logged

GoldenAger67

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: GoldenAger67
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 06:41:34 PM »

I guess it all started in 1999 when Richard Boucher, and myself started a webzine called "The Good Guys and Gals of the Golden Age". I was hooked when I first learned of all these forgotten treasures. I couldn't believe after contacting Richard that he had already amassed 1100+ heroes & heroines from the golden age. That webzine lasted for 5 years and has been uploaded here. Hopefully, I can contribute some books as well. Looking forward to reading through all what is here. Thanks for allowing me in the door. :)

Best,
Darrin
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »

Hi Darrin.  Good to have you here. Enjoy yourself.
ip icon Logged

Jos

message icon
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 10:56:57 AM »

Buenos d
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »

Bienvenido a CB+, Jos
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »

Hello everyone!  My name is Robb (Rob) Klein.  I am a comic book storywriter/Storyboard and magazine cover sketch artist for Disney Comics in The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, and Norway.  I live in The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Canada, and USA for a few months each, every year.  I grew up in Canada, The Netherlands, and USA during the late 1940s, and the 1950s, reading mostly Disney, WB, MGM, and Walter Lantz funny animal comics. Lately, I have started collecting scans of all the US funny animal an cartoony Human-character comedy series from the 1940s and 1950s.

I joined this website so I can read and download scanned pages of comics from that period that I don't yet have.  I hope, also, to become friendly with whom I will be able to privately swap scans of our personal comics that are yet not uploaded onto The Internet.  I also joined to meet other Golden Age comic fans and learn more about the artists, writers, publishers, and different comic book series from that period, especially those that weren't sold where I was.  For example, The Canadian Government prohibited importation of US comic books into Canada from just after we started fighting in WWII, in 1940.  So, from 1940-45we didn't get US comics.  Even starting in late 1945, when they returned I never saw Creston/ACG, or Better/Nedor/Standard funny animal comics in Winnipeg.  I found out there were 3 issues of "Merry-Go-Round Comics" distributed in Canada in 1947-48.  But they never got to Manitoba.  Maybe they were only distributed in Ontario?  But, I never saw comics from either company in Chicago, either.  So, in USA, maybe they were only regional, On The East Coast(other than SuperMouse)?  Those 2 companies used Ben Sangor's Studio of ex-animation artists for producing all their stories (as did many other small, independent companies, and DC (for their funny animal series) as well.  Their production, with really high-quality artwork, is the main reason why I became a member here.

I also can provide information about funny animal and comedy comics in USA, Canada, The Netherlands, and Scandinavia, as I've been reading that material just about 70 years, and working in that business for the last 35 years.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.