in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

DC Comics'convergence event

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: DC Comics'convergence event  (Read 2486 times)

fate man

message icon
DC Comics'convergence event
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:41:48 PM »

What do you think of DC Comics'upcoming  convergence event which features DC's pre-crisis,post-crisis,and pre-new 52 characters?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:45:46 PM by fate man »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: DC Comics'convergence event
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

Well, I read the blurbs on a couple of comic sites and suggest anyone else should have a look at the Multiverse map on DC's site here:-
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/08/18/the-map-of-the-multiverse
It was good fun but incredibly complicated and while I enjoyed getting to grips with which heroes are on which worlds and a glimpse of some of the, at one time great, Charlton heroes, there's no way I'll be reading the comics.  I'm utterly confused.  But then I've been confused and frustrated by the DC universe for years now and 52 was a dropping off point for me. 
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 04:35:42 PM »

And Marvel is doing a merge event of the Ultimates and normal line.
Gee, so much original thinking going on these day.... *cough*
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:57:58 AM »

And Marvel is doing a merge event of the Ultimates and normal line.
Gee, so much original thinking going on these day.... *cough*

yeah,you said it.
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:00:56 AM »

dc needs 3 line of books. a line set in the golden age, one set in the silver age/bronze age and one in the current age. with appropriate writers artist for each era. it should be established that their is a zone in each era which allows for time travel and each of these zones would have a guardian which only allowed travel in the most extreme situations-the spectre.dr fate and the phantom stranger? writers could tell the stories they wanted  without worrying so much about continuity. great unused artist and writers could find work and readers of old could find something they liked again.each line should have its on editor and each line should be treated as if it were independent for the most part from the others.
ip icon Logged

73042helloworld

message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 05:44:10 AM »

I agree that it's ambitious but just look how their last reboot screwed everything up.  Actually CRISIS ON INFINATE EARTHS started the problem.   Gardners Fox created a solution in FLASH 123 dated September, 1961, then they allowed him to team Earth-2's Golden Age heroes to start making annual team-ups with Earth-I's heroes.  Writers failed to keep them sraight and got mixed up on which character belonged  on which earth.---so, they merged both earths in 1985 in "CRISIS".  The easier reboot that might have worked have worked then might .work today.  Let them Let them have as many earth as needed.  On Earth-1,  have the 4th generation of the Golden Age JSA and; Earth-2, grandchildren of Silver Age JLA: Earth-3. Members of the combined post-Crisis universe,  Earth-4, a big chunk of the New 52 universe;  and The Crime Syndicate of the first CS combined with the present CS and make them able to attack the four world in a series of stories where they guest star on any of the four earths.  Most of the heroes of the 1960s from either earth would not be able to be active as heroes -- even those from the 1970's would be in their 50s or older so, let versions of most be divided among the four worlds-- maybe even the Quality and Fawcett characters.  One problem now is that THERE ARE SO MANY DC (AND EVEN MARVEL) HEROES that they could do enough damage to plunge the world into a war. 

I better quit this.  It's 10:39 PM (8 hours earlier than London) and this old man is pushing 73 years, so good night and sorry for being so long-winded.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »

That's the problem, 73402, too many heroes.  It's a mess. As I said, I jumped ship at 52 and should probably have made my excuses and sloped off much earlier.  Actually, I like WileyJ's suggestion.  I might just be able to cope with that scenario without my head falling off.
I've been reading DC comics since they started distribution here in 1959 (or 1960 as some people tell me) and I had seen a few comics prior to that.  I loved them.  They were very different to the weekly anthology comics we had in Scotland.  And when Flash 123 appeared (a few months later here) that was mind blowing.  I'd heard rumours of heroes from the '40's but knew sfa about them and now here they were and it was an exotic, colourful, mysterious collection of costumes, powers and gimmicks.
Now though, it's all too serious, fighty, mean looking sometimes nasty stuff and I don't know who is doing what to whom.  Is this why my interests are straying more and more to older British comics, GA comics and non-superhero titles? 
While not as old as 73042helloworld, I am cracking on a bit and getting grumpier.  To illustrate how some other readers feel about Convergence, my pal, Wee John, is an interesting example. My age and has been reading DC since '59, faithfully, every month, and is encyclopaedic in his knowledge of DC heroes and titles.  He told me about Convergence, and the impending price rise, and said it was about time he packed it in, and said it with sadness.  Perhaps modern superhero comics just aren't meant for old geezers like me and Wee John.  There are bright spots now and then but......  I've run out of steam.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.