in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 55 - Ken Shannon #3

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 55 - Ken Shannon #3  (Read 3515 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 55 - Ken Shannon #3
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:24:07 PM »

Wow, I thought last week's comic would be a HUGE hit. How wrong was I? So I won't be offering any odds on this week's choice.

A bit before Christmas a regular reading group member made this suggestion, and eventually it has risen to the top of the pile!

"As always, I'm enjoying the Reading Group. Someone's comment about "dead genres" made me think of another genre that's gone the way of pirate comics: private eye comics! Quality's Ken Shannon is a lot of fun, a mix of tough guy and humor. Issue #3 might make a good read for the group."

The book can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19932 and the story we are concentrating on is the first one "The Corpse That Wouldn't Sleep".

Strange the cover looks more horror than private eye!

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 55 - Ken Shannon #3
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:44:18 PM »

Corpse That Wouldn't Sleep - Great title, so great it makes me worry the story won't live up to it. Well, let's see. Not bad. Easy to guess the set-up and the villain, but this was probably aimed at kids, not seasoned mystery readers.

Angles O'Day - Cute, funny story.

The Case of the Butchered Butcher - Good story.

Fifty Grand Emerald - Interesting, if a bit rushed.

One Day I'll Kill You! - Okay, not quite as good as the previous Shannon stories, but it did the job.
ip icon Logged

Mazzucchelli

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:34:48 AM »

This book has charmed me from the very cover, which is full of suspense, thrill and an unique quality to the point that you can
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »

To start with I confess that it was I who suggested this book. I'd read a few Ken Shannons and liked them; I hope others do, too.

The first thing you notice is the incredible Reed Crandall artwork!!! That guy was so-o-o good. As Mazzucchelli observes, Crandall drew great women. Hell, he drew great everything. In case you can't tell, I liked the art.

The stories aren't much as mysteries, but they're great fun. The author (Joe Millard) puts an entertaining spin on the old tough-guy dialogue and never loses his sense of humor. Anyone who can write "Linda Tarrent, who liked any kind of men--except dead ones." is all right in my book. It's the humor that makes Ken Shannon stand out from the other comic detectives, who were either suave and dull like Chip Gardner or down-and-dirty like Johnny Dynamite. One Millard trademark is in evidence: the way people exclaim "Awrrrk!" all the time.

I find Ken himself appealing. I like that he's a bit of a dumbbell. That impression is heightened by Shannon's enormous jaw. The detective doesn't take himself seriously, and even admits to being scared out of his wits. Dee Dee is great fun, though she st-st-stutters t-t-too m-much when she's excited. She's a hottie. As are the other women in the book.

Storywise, I like "The Case of the Butchered Butcher" most. You can't miss with a story featuring a beating with a dead pig. Second is "Corpse that Wouldn't Sleep." The guilty party is immediately obvious, though the details of how it was done aren't. There's some funny character interplay, e.g. Dee Dee saying, "Well, well, all of a sudden we're back to normal!" The premise of "Someday I'll Kill You" is weaker than the other stories, though it's very nice to look at.

I can't make up my mind about "Angles O'Day." I don't like stories starring sharpers and grifters, but there are some funny moments and Miss Moore is a great character. I'm in the minority in that I don't get excited over Jack Cole. But MM's posing is so fresh and authentic...look at the panels on page 16 where she's arranging her hair, and the panel on page 17 where she's climbing out of the pool (though the arm's a bit off). She really comes to life. Her expressions are great, too. The one thing I can't understand is page 15, in which we never see the girl they're chasing. Maybe Cole did it deliberately intending it as a comic effect, but it doesn't work for me.

I didn't read the text story. I guffawed at the ad asserting that "T-Man" is a "true adventure magazine." And that $1.98 Texas Ranger outfit! Even at the height of the cowboy craze I would have been laughed off the street for wearing that. Want to bet it was made of cardboard?

About the cover. Nice, huh? This series had great covers. Check out the Ferris-wheel scene on #5.Three of the Shannon covers had horror themes. It was the height of the horror craze; probably the editor hoped to mislead kids into buying the comic thinking it was a horror mag.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:15:56 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:13:31 PM »

Mazz--forgive me if you already know this, but Ken Shannon also appeared in Police Comics 104 through 127 (the last issue). It took them a few issues to get up to speed but most of the run offers the same fun stories and beautiful art (and beautiful women). The first couple of episodes were pancilled by Gene Colan.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:17:49 PM »

WOW!
That first story was great. It sort of telegraphed what was going on but still managed to stay ahead of the reader by sheer action and mayhem.
The characters were good and the drawings fit each character as well.

I'm going to take my time with these stories and look up anymore like them.
This series would have been a 50's-60's hit on TV.

"cold as a blonde faro dealer" real shamus talk if there ever was.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:40:34 PM »

This a great read.  The art and look of the 3 Ken Shannon stories draw you in right away and that is after that amazing cover makes you think that you can't resist opening the comic.  Cap notes that  it was sort of telegraphed in the 1st. story and I suppose it was but it in no way spoiled the enjoyment.  That story was well plotted, laid out and is exciting and amusing.  The sheer quality of the Crandall art really adds to the atmosphere and it's a pleasure to wallow in the look of it.  Then we have a lovely and silly Angles story with great madcap comic art by Jack Cole.
The other Shannon stories keep up the quality even though the last script, "One Day I'll Kill You", is definitely telegraphed.  Didn't stop me thoroughly enjoying it, though.
As others have mentioned, Ken seems to pick up clients in a very random way and that is different from most P.I.s.  I know this is fiction but there seems no compunction on anybody's part to open fire in the street, and while that is an alien concept to me, the quality of the comic had me so drawn in that I hardly noticed, so engrossed was I in the tales.  Really good fun.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »

I know this is fiction but there seems no compunction on anybody's part to open fire in the street

Thats become an everyday thing in recent years. Probably much the same during the time frame of these stories.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »

Always glad to read something from the Quality stable and Ken Shannon is a favorite. Usually well written and the Crandall art is a treat. I also liked the habit of introducing the cast of characters in the first page of each story.  I hadn't read this issue and was very pleased with the contents.
The first tale was just a tiny bit predictable but still held my attention. One doesn't see cadaver-puppets everyday and a mad puppeteer to operate him was quite the plot device. I'm not sure how a man who could not walk would be able to dig up his hapless brother, but the story was so entertaining that it didn't much matter.
Quality comics usually featured at least one comic-relief story and Angles O'Day filled that role pretty well. Fun art and story.
The next two Shannon stories were also a great read, the butcher story being my favorite of the two.
Crandall's art was, of course, the star of the book. I first encountered his work in "Blackhawk" and have been a fan ever since. Nobody could draw floozies or menacing women like he did. A real talent. Too bad his later life was so unhappy.
Definitely an "A" for this week's issue. Cheers, Bowers

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 06:31:47 AM »

I'm not sure how a man who could not walk would be able to dig up his hapless brother,

Its amazing what some who have lost the use of there legs are able to do.
The son of a friend of the family was one of the last (at least I hope there were no others) born with the defects caused by Thalidomide. He had one normal arm and three flipper like apendages. He was incredibly agile.
His mother had visited her parents in a South American country when pregnant and they were still marketing that horrible drug in that country long after the rest of the world had banned it.

The crippled brother had also developed methods of overcoming his handicaps by using clever hoisting equipment. He had apparently been doing this since an early age since he was still using that old tree house.

The equipment he used seemed much like the gear used to simulate flight in stage plays like "Peter Pan". Counterweights do all the real lifting.

One of the ancient civilizations in South America put on plays using the corpses of enemies stripped of flesh and manipulated as puppets.
I was watching a documentary on this when during a scene demonstrating the butchering of the corpses a commercial for "Baby Back Ribs" came on, I almost fell out of my chair.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 06:48:05 AM »

I must admit I am a tad confused about what exactly this comic book is. Obviously Ken Shannon is a Private Eye ... but the cover is pure horror. Is this a cross genre crime/horror book??

I am just staring the first story and it certainly looks that way. All rather intriguing! What does a Private Eye's secretary actually have to do? Maybe it's a question I shouldn't be asking.

Right I won't spoil the story for those who have yet to read it. But that fall created a nice bit of ketchup! The art work was really rather interesting. Yes the story was clich
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »

I echo Crash on this first story. FUN even if predictable
ip icon Logged

GregG

message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »

Have now become a Ken Shannon fan! Interesting , in Angles O'Day the girl is smarter ,stronger and braver then Angles even beats the bad guys herself; but like a true 50s girl she lets Angles think he did it to puff up his male ego.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.