in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Captain Marvel reading order.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Captain Marvel reading order.  (Read 4390 times)

Briguy30

message icon
Captain Marvel reading order.
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:33:37 AM »

The major reason I joined this site was all the Golden Age Captain Marvel issues. I've been reading Whiz Comics and get that at issue 16 I can start reading Captain Marvel Adventures. Does anyone have a reading order for Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr, and Mary Marvel since it seems there is actually a lose continuity in play. Any help would be great.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
Re: Captain Marvel reading order.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »

Using Mike's Amazing World of Comics website, you can determine the on-sale dates of the Fawcett titles.

--Dave
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:58 PM »

Um . how about OUR Newsstand https://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=yns_home All our books are there in months!
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »

oops, sorry.  Didn't know that
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »

Mike's site is a work in progress. For my blog I use his on sale dates for most of what I post, but last year I had to go through everything and change dates because he had changed on sale dates on his site. I found this especially with the Fawcett books. His on sale date revisions for Fawcett comics had them coming out much earlier than he had originally noted.

I haven't gone through the site this year to check if there are more updates--but I would guess these dates keep changing as more information comes to light.

Fawcett had a lot of intercontinuity between characters--moreso than many other publishers in the '40s. Stories like the introduction of Captain Nazi and Captain Marvel Jr. carry over from one title to the other. The Monster Society of Evil story continued for many months.

If you go to the indexes on Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics, you can look up entries for the three main Marvels (on Earth-S) and click appearances to follow the chronology that Mike has given for them. But keep in mind that this is part fact, part conjecture and part fantasy.

Mike is trying to incorporate stories from both Fawcett and DC in the way he imagines them fitting together in continuity.
ip icon Logged

Briguy30

message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:20:52 AM »

Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 02:40:59 PM »

Mike's site has just gone through some changes. All publishers have been consolidated on the site. So some of the things I said above might no longer hold true. You'll have to fiddle around with the site to find where everything is now--as will I. But the site address remains dcindexes.com.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.