in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 229 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Radio Fun_0695

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Radio Fun_0695  (Read 868 times)

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
« on: November 18, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »

Well I still like Sam Wilson better, he does not have to jump off a tall building to get airborne. This buy more glides than flies.

Re: the Arthur English strip: What is a "wide boy"??

Link to the book: Radio Fun_0695
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »

Sorry to disagree but The Falcon is much better drawn than most SW Falcon stories, imo, and I like the Winged Avenger costume better.  Admittedly, there is a bit of nostalgia in there ;) Nowadays Sam Wilson seems simply a gadget laden hero with a conscience and I don't like what Marvel are doing with him.

"Wide boy"?  Arthur English is the epitome of a wide boy or spiv. Ducking and diving, a bit dodgy, black market, always on the look out for the main chance.  But Arthur English was genuinely funny.
Bio here:-
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0257583/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Oh, and as for jumping off a tall building, I like the idea of putting difficulties in the way of a hero.  Instead of just charging off with all his powers/gadgets.  Heroes with built in drawbacks to their powers/gadgets have to be a bit cleverer and braver, I think :)
Possible discussion?
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »

I'll caveat, I like Sam Wilson before Marvel messed up and made him the new Cap. He was just fine as Falcon and I liked his bird sidekick, red wing.

For me, only Steve Rogers can be Captain America. Not Bucky Barnes or Sam Wilson or anyone else. I'll accept Marvel's premise that Cap's super-soldier formula "wore off", but to me it would be more proper to just hang up the shield in the hall of honor or some such and just accept life without a Captain America.

It seems Sam Wilson, even with the tech, still has plenty of hurdles to overcome since, like Batman, he has no actual superpowers.

And at risk of seeming snarky, I'll give that your Falcon's abilities/courage pass the muster when it comes to normal crooks like he seems to face, but he'd be squashed flat as a bug on a windshield if he had to face your average Marvel super villain. Lets face it, Sam Wilson needs all the tech he can get to go against the likes of Ultron, Skrulls, Loki, etc...
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »

Good point.  The universe inhabited by The Winged Avenger just doesn't have superpowered villains.  He opposes standard crooks, villainous scientists, gangs etc. Actually, many British superheroes/MMM have to face up to similar types of villains.  Billy The Cat, Leopard of Lime St., Spring Heeled Jackson, TNT Tom, Captain Atlas, Phantom Raider, The Night Hawk, Silent 3, The Cat and many more hardly ever crossed paths with Marvel style super villains.  It's only when you get to The Spider, Marvelman, Ace Hart, etc. that super powered villains or evil aliens appear.
You are so correct about Cap. America.  Couldn't agree more.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.