in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 230 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Nelson Lee Library - Series 1 - 001

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Nelson Lee Library - Series 1 - 001  (Read 1032 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:30:02 PM »

Any story that starts out, "Phwoot! Phwoot! Bzoom! Bzoom!" is all right in my book. Actually, this is written in a brisker, more "modern" style than many stories from the 'teens. A satisfying read. Obviously Nelson Lee was well-established by 1915. When did he first appear?

BTW, just what is the "multi-plate free engine clutch" on the Rudge motorbike I'm going to win?

Link to the book: Nelson Lee Library - Series 1 - 001
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »

Nelson Lee seems to have appeared in the weekly, The Detective Library, pre WW1.  Lee shared the "pulp" with Fawcett Milford, yet another detective.  The book was the same size as Nelson Lee Library and featured a colour cover for a while plus, in some issues, a coloured centre spread illustrating a scene from one of the stories.  If anyone can help with dates, etc., please do.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »

Aha! I discovered a brief history of Nelson Lee, as follows:

"Nelson Lee first appeared in The Halfpenny Marvel in 1894.  He was the creation of Maxwell Scott, the pseudonym of a Yorkshire medical man, Dr. John Staniforth (1863-1927).    When Amalgamated Press sought to purchase the rights to the character, Staniforth at first refused.  However, Hal Meredith, the creator of Lee's nearest rival, Sexton Blake, agreed to sell the rights to his character and Sexton Blake rapidly gained a recognition that Nelson Lee, when Staniforth finally yielded, never again equalled.  In 1915 the detective was given his own story paper - The Nelson Lee Library - and Edwy Searles Brooks was an early contributor.  Within a year, Brooks was writing all the stories, a situation that continued until 1933.  In 1917, with the introduction of St. Frank's School and Lee's conversion to a schoolmaster detective, his popularity increased to such effect that the stories also appeared in a number of other publications."
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 06:13:06 PM »

Nice one, crash.  I looked up my copy of Lofts and Adley  and the info. was there all the time.  See age and a mind like a sieve?
Scott also wrote for Union Jack; Boys Friend Weekly; Boys Herald; Boys Realm; Gem 2nd. series; Comic Home Journal; Wonder; Chums; Boys Leader; Big Budget; Jester, according to Lofts nad Adley.  Frustratingly, there is no info. on what characters he wrote but Union Jack was Sexton Blake's paper, so i suppose he must have written Blake stories also.
Wonder when he found the time for doctoring.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.