in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Captain Marvel Jr. 109

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Captain Marvel Jr. 109  (Read 849 times)

Indianbear

• VIP
message icon
« on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:41 AM »

Great job of re-coloring. It's as close to the modern style of comic art as I've ever seen.

I hope to see more from you. Jagmor.

Thanks for all your work.

Link to the book: *** Link No Longer Exists: Captain Marvel Jr. 109 ***
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »

This is a touchy subject. Everybody has an opinion. In fact, I have so many different opinions on this, I think I must have regenerated as many times as the Doctor since 1963, because I have different voices in my head all arguing with each other about what's right.

Thing is when it comes to books like the DC Archives, I would really like this kind of restoration. And I would hate it if the book had scans. And if it had scans, I would like it more if it had cleaned up scans. And I certainly prefer this kind of restoration to looking at blurred fiche.

BUT. When it comes to looking at pages on the computer--and especially for this site--I want to see the comic how it actually looked. It spoils it for me if the images are cleaned up too much. Some cleaning up of scans is expected and even welcome. But it's touchy. I want to see the colour dots that were on the original pages--I don't want the colour to be replaced. Fixing wear and tear and stains on the original comic that's being scanned is probably a good thing. I do that sometimes when a spot on a scan really starts to bug me. But I would prefer it if scanners left the pages alone as much as possible.

Why there's this divide in my opinions, I'm not sure. It might just be what I've gotten used to. The thing is scans printed in books don't look right--they lose some of the quality. Yet on a computer screen, scans look right.

Ideally I want both. I want publishers to do a proper restoration for the printed page--but I would also like to see scans of the original comics. It would be great if reprint books included a disc of scans--or else a code inside their books that allows you to download a digital file containing the scans.

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »

The re-colored pages are taken from UK comics that were published in black and white and are replacing fiche scans ... (many of which are actually unreadable). I hear the debate, but on these the choice is between recolored pages or ugly fiche ... no contest!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.