in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Rocket Ship X 01

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Rocket Ship X 01  (Read 1068 times)

RickDeckard525

message icon
« on: November 01, 2013, 04:37:50 AM »

The girl on the cover has a freakishly pinched stomach, but the rest of her appears to be totally healthy. That is an Eisner-ish deformity, but I am not very familiar with those guys. Whoever did the cover did the other two stories and the filler looks like mort again--either self inked or by someone else. Whew, I would be curious to hear from someone who is more familiar with Eisner and his colleagues. I don't think that will give us any clues, though. Does anyone know of an early Ditko ink I could check out?

Link to the book: Rocket Ship X 01
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:19:23 AM »

I think this and my recent frantic defense of Jack from narfstar's brutal assault officially make me the Krazy Kirby guy. Hopefully you won't see me trying to get you to buy prints or donate to kickstarters at the next convention you go to. Ugh, I think I'm gonna go read Tor a few times, or maybe some nice, wholesome LSH. Maybe listen to some Roger Miller--wait, did Kirby like Roger Miller?! What Kind of music did Jack Kirby like!? I'm gonna go curl up in my closet with some Ghost Rider until This strange urge to draw dragons that look like people goes away. Where do I keep my Legends crossover?! Save me Ronald Reagan!!! Wait... No. Darkseid!?!? Why does Darkseid have to be in every dumb crossover?!?!

... It is very late.    :o
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »

I think this and my recent frantic defense of Jack from narfstar's brutal assault officially make me the Krazy Kirby guy. Hopefully you won't see me trying to get you to buy prints or donate to kickstarters at the next convention you go to. Ugh, I think I'm gonna go read Tor a few times, or maybe some nice, wholesome LSH. Maybe listen to some Roger Miller--wait, did Kirby like Roger Miller?! What Kind of music did Jack Kirby like!? I'm gonna go curl up in my closet with some Ghost Rider until This strange urge to draw dragons that look like people goes away. Where do I keep my Legends crossover?! Save me Ronald Reagan!!! Wait... No. Darkseid!?!? Why does Darkseid have to be in every dumb crossover?!?!

... It is very late.    :o

I don't know about the Kirby defense, Rick, nor do I have any clue as to Jack's musical tastes. However, a good guide to deciphering unknown early work is to try to put it into context. Check the Who's Who and/or GCD sorted by Date. A quick glance at the WW will tell you that his earliest work at S&K Studio was 1953/54 and his earliest published work was 1953. Steve's been researched fairly well over the years and two recent books about him surely would have turned up something about him working in comics two years before everyone thought he started.

FWIW, I don't see any connection between the interiors and the cover artist. Victor Fox was a notorious low-rider in the late Fifties comic world and the only folks who would work for him were newbies trying to build a portfolio at any cost and tired old hands working for cigarette money. Neither group could count on getting paid. Even Jerry Iger eventually gave up on Victor Fox, again. As did the comic book marketplace.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:08:38 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.