in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 230 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Ken Maynard

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Ken Maynard  (Read 1296 times)

dwilt

message icon
« on: January 15, 2016, 03:30:02 PM »

Interesting that Fawcett put out a Ken Maynard comic, since Maynard hadn't been a major cowboy star for years (his last films had been made in 1944, and these for a very minor company). Well, I guess he didn't charge Fawcett much for the rights.
Also, the artists here didn't make much of an effort to make the comic book version resemble the real life Maynard at all.

Link to the book: Ken Maynard
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »

Yeah, I was like "who?" Granted I'm way too young to remember him, but I still know about other old time famous cowboys like Tom Mix, Gene Autry & Roy Rogers

ip icon Logged

melbee

message icon
Re: Ken Maynard #7
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »

It doesn't seem two minutes since I posted a request for this rare and long sought-after Fawcett book, a memory from my young childhood.  (Yes, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on one's viewpoint, I do remember this cowboy character -though sketchily of course! Ahem!... )   ;)
My grateful thanks go to Movielover for this most welcome upload. :D     Melbee.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 03:49:17 PM »

Maynard wasn't the only B-Western  star having a comic published about him after his starring days were over.  Tom Mix and Buck Jones even had comics coming out years after they had died.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:19:58 AM »

Josemas, to me Tom Mix is the most remarkable example of what you're saying. His great stardom was during the silent era. His movie career ended in 1935 after only a handful of sound films. Mix himself died in 1940.So he was dead before he ever appeared in comic books. Somehow Ralston managed to keep his brand going into the 1960s. No kids and many adults wouldn't have known who he was. Maybe the Western craze let them market Mix as a generic cowboy despite lack of name recognition.
ip icon Logged

ejpetrie

message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 02:46:01 AM »

Ralston, the long-time sponsor of the "Tom Mix" radio show, kept the Tom Mix name and franchise alive until mid-1950, ten years after the star's death.  After the show finally went off the air after 17 seasons the number of licensed Mix items dwindled to nothing, even though Ralston still ran some promotions using the late star's name.  Interestingly enough, after the end of Mix's radio show Ralston placed the full strength of their promotional arm behind the new kids' TV show from California, "Space Patrol", turning that newest venture into the ultimate TV and radio premium mill.

Ken Maynard's name still had enough clout in 1951 to launch a radio show that was done in 15-minute segments.  It was called "Tales from the Diamond K", and it is estimated to have had as many as a thousand episodes (although less than 40 transcriptions are known to still exist).  Radio kept Maynard's name alive until the mid-1950's, as did early TV airings of his old movies.  We forget how powerful the medium of radio was in its day, even during its declining years when Maynard's show was airing.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 05:56:55 AM »

Thanks, ejpetrie, for clarifying the Tom Mix timeline. We briefly had a Ralston Tom Mix comic at CB+ (pulled for not being PD) which was labelled 1962, whence came my mistaken notion that Tom lasted into the 60s. That comic turned out to be from 1983, when Ralston staged a brief Tom Mix revival. According to one site the Mix comic book, distributed only in cereal boxes, launched in 1940, the year Tom died. Bummer.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.