in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Fight Against the Guilty 023

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Fight Against the Guilty 023  (Read 1373 times)

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:34:39 AM »

It's okay to disagree with me, Jose, but it becomes more than an opinion match if you back yours up. MOST of the Andru you've ever seen has probably been inked by Esposito. Would you know what Andru NOT inked by him looked like? Point us to some Andru inked by Esposito from 1955 that resembles this work on the surface. My premise is that it doesn't. Prove me wrong.

Link to the book: Fight Against the Guilty 023
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »

I feel like I've missed a post somewhere, Jim.  I wasn't even aware I was disagreeing with you on the art credit.  If I interpret your response here correctly I guess the inking credit of Esposito is what is mainly (entirely?) in dispute?

As to why I felt it was Esposito inking -the art here reminds me of work I've seen credited to Andru and Esposito from the mid 1950s (say c.1953-57) at places like Standard, DC, Atlas and elsewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's who this story's inking reminds me of.  Out of curiosity who do you feel inked the story if not Esposito?
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »

On most of the more than 2000 comics I've sent out for scanning, Jose, I've included an index card with information about the contributors to the issue. A whole lot of my time in preparing the comics for scanning is devoted to updating those cards and they greatly increase the time it takes to refile the comics when they return from the scanners. Each scanner is supposed to include the index card as the final scan in the book. If, after four years, any of this is news, then I guess I'm wasting a bunch of my time in trying to have a dialog with like-minded folks out there. zzzzzzzz   Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:27:56 AM »

Ah, okay.  I missed your card on my initial run through of the book.  (Those cards are much appreciated by me by the way.   I learn a lot from them.)  I only ran through the book until the end of the last story and didn't even think to look and see if there was a card included when I first looked at it.

I gather from the card that you feel that this is a solo Andru job.  To tell you the truth I never even knew that Andru ever inked himself so wouldn't have a clue as to what his inking looked like. 

I'll have to check through GCD to see what they may have listed for Andru inking Andru jobs and study them.  Thanks much.   Best  Joe
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »

I am glad that you appreciate the cards, Jose. They represent no small effort on my part and remain one of the major reasons why I offer my comics to be scanned. There is no better way to get this information out into the world and to get it reviewed.

Two things:
1. Of COURSE Andru inked himself. He was a person, not some appendage of Mike Esposito. THIS may not be an example of solo Andru, but I can't imagine an artist who didn't work alone occasionally.

2. Expecting GCD entries to discern for you at that level of subtlety (i.e. whether or not an entry repeated Andru as penciler and inker) is, I believe, reading out more than was being input into the data base. In 95% of the cases, the inker is assumed to be the penciler if none is stated, as far as I've been able to observe.

What my note card was meant to convey is that this story did NOT look like all of the Andru and Esposito stories that were prevalent around the same era. Of course, that card and note was done decades ago and I haven't reviewed it for years, so I'm very willing to be shown wrong.

Go for it.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:21:20 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.