in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 243 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 82 - The Saint #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 82 - The Saint #1  (Read 3046 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 82 - The Saint #1
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »

Last week's Superworld #3 certainly gave us some reading matter both in the book and the reading group's comments! I hope for the same from this week's selection which is another suggestion from our Mr. Anon.

We are heading for a bit more style and sophistication with The Saint #1 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25331. The story we are concentrating on is the first one Empty Graves.

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 82 - The Saint #1
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »

Empty Graves - Not bad, although my familiarity with The Saint is the TV shows, not the original stories, so I can't say how true the character was to the original.

Lucky Dale - Uhhh... hmmm... It looks nice, but the humor almost works against the serious art (or vice versa). I liked it, but wonder if it might have worked better if it had been played straighter, or more comical.

The Devil's Stooge - Starts of like a non-fiction piece, then segues into a bizarre story. Interesting premise, but not very good.

Foo Shampoo - Amusing.

Prop Bowers - Not bad.

Saint Versus The Sinners - A bit rushed, feels like the writer tried to fit too much story into the space allowed.
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »

I just read this comic last week. I do like the Saint and Lucky Dale features. Matter of fact I spent some time improving the wiki for Dale over on comicvine. Cover art is top notch too.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:36:13 AM »

Loved this one, and for a lot of reasons that had nothing to do with the comic itself
When I was a kid, THE SAINT t.v. show was on air, usually as a summer replacement.  So during summer break, we would watch it and read the paperbacks as well. (My aunt had boxes of cool paperbacks upstairs at the cottage.) Gramp didn't think kids should read those, or the James Bond books we tore through either, but we dug them all.

So as far as adaptations go, these are not TOO bad...probably better then some of the Charlie Chans, actually. I mean, they were thinking just kids would buy the comics right? So a LOT of the character development had to go, but they kept a lot of the broad strokes, along with his cool attitude and relationship with the police.

But man, I loved the art and lay out. But I'm also a sucker for Jack Kamen...real or not...
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:49:13 AM »

I also watched the Roger Moore Saint on TV when I was a kid. However I was already familiar with Simon Templar because I’d stumbled across some of the original books in our local library. I enjoyed the Saint stories, especially the earlier ones when he was rowdier and the police still suspected him. My brother and I conceived the idea of producing radio plays adapting the Saint books and we wrote Leslie Charteris in care of his publisher to ask permission. We were delighted to receive a personal reply from the author saying all the media rights were tied up by the TV people, but he thanked us for our interest and wished us well. Getting a letter from Charteris himself was a thrill—I still have it stashed away somewhere.

This comic book version of The Saint isn’t too bad, though they don’t use many of the character’s traits. He’s more of a typical private eye. It’s nice to see Pat Holm, but in P.I. fashion she’s been demoted to a secretary. In the books, especially the earlier ones, it was clear that Simon and Pat were Living in Sin. The best part is that (unlike the other comics and the middle-period novels) there is no Hoppy Uniatz. That buffoon sank every story he appeared in.

I’d buy Jack Kamen as the Saint artist. Kamen got a bum rap over at EC. He wasn’t a superstar stylist, but he drew very well and drew very pretty 40s-style women. The art on the Prop Bowers story also has a Kamen vibe to it…and the girl is even prettier than the typical Kamen babe. My biggest gripes are the curvy panel borders which make the overstuffed balloons even more obtrusive.

The stories themselves range from “meh” to “ridiculous.” “Meh” is for too many coincidences; “ridiculous” is for shooting people into space with a rocket gun. This bozo’s invention could put mankind into space and he uses it to shoot stiffs into orbit! The magician story is slightly better but I gagged on “Stage a quick heart attack!”

The Lucky Dale story is stupid from the opening scene. She doesn’t detect, she just happens onto things. Maybe that’s her gimmick, she’s so lucky she never has to do any real work. All is forgiven, though, because Lucky herself is the cutest girl in the book.

I broke tradition and read the text story. What a preposterous piece of malarkey! Strange, I can’t seem to find Rex Conrad’s name on the rolls of the Manhattan Project.

I hope Foo Shampoo was a one-shot. His single joke wore thin even in just two pages.

The Prop Bowers story is nothing special. I wanted the final caption to say, “Cheers, Bowers.” I always want the artist of an aviation strip to draw nice planes. Here he avoids drawing them as much as possible. But the big mystery is why he puts the heads of middle-ground figures into complete shadow. It’s not like he can’t draw heads. Very odd. That’s all right, though. Delia makes up for it.

The small stuff: Fact or Fancy…so what? They sure seem to have sold a lot of billfolds in old comic books. I’m willing to believe this one is gen-u-wine leather, but I’m sorry, that plastic recorder was NOT copied from Woody Herman’s own clarinet!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:52:04 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:43:12 AM »

I enjoyed the Saint as a simple little detective story. I too was a fan of the Roger Moore Saint as a kid, so that may have improved my enjoyment.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »

Whilst I really like the cover I am not quite sure why we have 4 of them. Before reading a word I'll make a prediction, which is that this will be a very well produced book with strong story lines. The reason is, I am sure I read somewhere that Leslie Charteris was VERY hands on with all The Saint franchising and I think we can safely assume that this would have been scrutinized very thoroughly!

Referring to taking on the missing person case and the police:

"Check, but I generally let them know when I join their ranks ... and let's call me "The Saint" from now on ... I get sentimental when I work ..."

If I talked like that I think my nearest and dearest would call me a "pretentious tw**", and she'd be right!

Hmm, wow! I am just not sure how to take this. The murderer sending his victims into orbit via a rocket gun! It certainly has an interesting/bizarre story line. It was not predicable or boring

Lucky Dale is just too cool a bird! After almost being toppled off the skyscraper girders by an S.O.S. note she's straight on the case. Not a scream or tear in sight! This was a rather well crafted story with a REALLY cool twist!

A completely unbelievable, but very readable 2 page text story is followed by Foo Shampoo, which carries on the hypnotism theme. Unremarkable apart from this line:

"When looking for needle in haystack sitting down may prove best method"

Prop Bowers was okish and is followed by the one page
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:39:29 PM »

Yes, the Saint was pretty arrogant in this book, but compared to Louis Hayward's portrayal of him as a smiling, devil-may-care  killer on the screen it wasn't so bad.

The first story was ok, but Dr. Death certainly went to a great deal of trouble and expense just to bump off his victims. I'm sure Brutus could have done the job much easier.

Really enjoyed the Lucky Dale tale. That gal had no fear and a lot of moxie! A little uncommon to have a competent female shamus in the '40s.

Prop Bowers (a distant relative?) was a typical flyboy feature- better art than story.

I liked the second Saint story a bit better. A bit more believable and not as "busy" as the first yarn.

All-in-all, a hit for me! Cheers, Bowers

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.