in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,881 books
 New: 98 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 92 - Meet Miss Pepper #5

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 92 - Meet Miss Pepper #5  (Read 2928 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 92 - Meet Miss Pepper #5
« on: October 14, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »

Last week's Spaceman #5 was a hit among some of the reading group's aficionados, and also the plebs like me. It really was an excellent book!

I am pretty certain this week's book will not hit the same heights, but who knows? It's a bit of teen (I guess) reading with  https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19092.
The main story we are concentrating on is the first one "Introducing Miss Pepper"

PS: I have had a couple of reading group suggestions (WE NEED MORE), which I will digest in the next couple of days. MANY thanks for them!
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
Re: Week 92 - Meet Miss Pepper #5
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 03:16:48 AM »

Hmmm... It's kinda like an Archie comic, only the writer has not found the same chemistry between the characters. Miss Pepper plays the "straight man" a bit too rigidly.  The Art is ok, Kubert does a good job of conveying Pepper as being very attractive, but without being lewd about it in keeping with this book's youthful target audience.  Since it is a St John book, It would have been nice to see Matt Baker take a stab at this character.

Overall, the stories all fall flat for me.

5 of 10 for me

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:36:43 AM »

Joe Kubert makes me forgive a lot...it was not a BAD start for a potential series..it might have even been a franchise with a bit more luck and better writing. Sort of an OUR MISS BROOKS knock off, huh?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »

Combining Our Miss Brooks with Mr. Peepers gives you Miss Peppers. I thought the first story was a nice bit of fun. Since I am a teacher I totally relate to the 5th panel of the last page of story one.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 11:11:46 PM »

Visually this book is a knockout. Character design, layout, posing, backgrounds: all exceptional. I haven't seen much humor work by Kubert but he clearly has the chops. Bob Bean's inking keeps all the good stuff and adds a touch of slickness which serves the stories better than Kubert's own rougher ink style would have done.

But overall the book is a dud! The writing is the problem. All the characterization is in the art. We're presented with a large cast of supporting characters but the only one who stands out is one-joke Maximilian Mertz. I give the writer credit for using dialogue to try to give Mr Phizz a little personality, but he comes off more like a student than a teacher. As for the stories themselves, they just ain't funny. The writer strains for laughs and introduces dumb situations (like the helmet gag in the football story) that don't make sense even within the cartoon universe. By the way, does it strike anyone else as odd that "the villain" in the second story is never given a name?

As for "Schools Around the World": gimme a break! These jokes are so lame they resort to "editor's notes" to explain them. And even in pre-animal-rights days, isn't ripping (or cutting?) off a walrus' tusk rather cruel?

At least the text features taught me a few things. For one, I know I'd never have cut it in football, so I'm glad I didn't try out. For another, I learned what a Sloppy Joe really is. Wikipedia confirmed it's highly seasoned ground beef served on a bun. I remembered Sloppy Joe as a term for what we now call a chili burger. Who knew?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 02:55:12 AM »

Right from the cover it appears to be an Our Miss Brooks ripoff, with Miss Pepper bearing a resemblance to actress Eve Arden.

Introducing Miss Pepper - Well, Miss Pepper seems to be a bit more Archie than Our Miss Brooks. Unfortunately it seemed to stuff too many introductions into the limited space it had, the heroine, the potential love interest, the principal, the students. Maybe if it had had more pages it could have worked better.

Second story - Not very good, although the ending was amusing.

Schools Around The World - I can see how someone in the planning stages would think those various jokes would be funny, but sadly the finished product wasn't funny.

Chix Page - Uhhhh, yeahhhh... were Sloppy Joe Parties ever hip?

Chux Page - Some nice info on throwing a ball.

Third story - Ehhh...

Maxmillian - Meh.

Fourth Story - Ugh.

Well, Miss Pepper started off with a nice cover, but proceeded to go downhill with each story.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »

The first story "Introducing Miss Pepper", was really not too bad at all. So far, I rather like her. But I think that is because Miss Pepper reminds me a bit of my mid-school days and Miss Taylor. She drove a mini, and also wore one along with very high heels. In hindsight, rather inappropriate dress, but I think it actually helped in some aspects of my education :) 

Correcting Corrections - This carried in the same vein, making it a tad tedious, especially so as Miss Pepper isn't really like Miss Taylor at all.

Schools Around the World - I wonder how many comic/cartoon Eskimo characters there have been. There are quite a few, and when you consider the comedic potential of living in a desolate land of ice it is rather strange. Dink was fine, just like rest!

The one page Hints for Gals is followed by Hints for Boys. Gals is about having party; Boys how to throw a football ... no stereotyping here!

Football Practice - Was pretty pants, am getting a bit tired of this now!
The 1 page Maximillian completely confused me! Thankfully after Paint Problems the book ends.

Verdict: A fail. It just bored me I am afraid.
ip icon Logged

Isaura Luiza Paramysio

message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »

I had seen the facebook. And see "Joe Kubert" caught my attention after I comment what I thought.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.