in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Dell Comics and the CCA.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Dell Comics and the CCA.  (Read 3022 times)

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Dell Comics and the CCA.
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »

I often wondered how and why Dell Comics continued publishing throughout the 1950's and well into the 60's WITHOUT the CCA stamp of approval.

Granted much of their output was Disney/FunnyAnimal stuff which was unlikely to offend anyone but what about those Universal Monster oneshots they did ?

While short of any 'real' horror I would have thought at that time Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy, Wolman and certainly Dracula would have fallen outside of the code's rules.

Also if Dell managed to retain its place on the comic stands without the bother or expense of code approval why did'nt any other companies try and do the same ?

-Nigel
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:26:36 PM by phabox »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Dell Comics and the CCA.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »

It may be hard to realize now but Dell was the BMOC. They were big enough and enough or a rep to say in your face we have our own seal of approval accept it
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

It's in part a matter of timing.  They were big enough and clean-cut enough to get through 1955 and past without the code; by they time they did the Monster issues in the 60's they had a lot of inertia as a publisher not using the code.  Gilberton lasted several years codeless, as well.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »

Very true.  In the 50's and early 60's Dell ruled the roost with their movie and TV adaptations.  In 1963 the torch was passed to Gold Key, which took over publishing their titles.  The Ben Franklin dimestore I used to frequent then carried ONLY Gold Keys, and carried all of them.  Sic transit gloria mundi.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »

I seem to recall hearing (though I couldn't guess where) that Dell used its own distributor on account of its size.  I'm fairly certain that only the distributors enforced the Code's acceptance, so if that was in fact the case, it could very well be that Dell's distributor trusted them and they decided to spare the expense.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »

I believe that Dell, like Charlton, was their own distributor.  There's not a lot that I can find online about the history of periodical distribution (it deserves further study, too), but Mark Evanier definitely states here that Dell was the distributor and financier for Western Publishing.  When that deal soured and Western began Gold Key, Dell had to fill the pipeline with something, and that's when the mostly atrocious 60's Dell material began appearing.

So not only did Dell pretty much not worry about the CCA because of their material ( I mean, really, the CCA is going to object to material that passes the muster of Hollywood studio licensing requirements?), but since it was a Distributor enforced requirement, they could bypass any questions themselves. In other words, DELL vouched for the material to the regional independent newsstand distributors, and had enough of a reputation to get away with it.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 06:20:25 AM »

As long as we're talking about code or lack of it, what happened to distribution on Amazing Spider Man 96?  Did anybody not shelf it, or did nobody really care at that point?

(My copy of 96 is in very low grade, but if I ever need to sell everything it's one of the 10 or so books I keep no matter what.  I got Gil Kane to sign it many years ago.)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

The most likely scenario is that an editor called the distributor and said "this is important."  Like with the Dell scenario, my impression is that the shops rarely cared about the seal, relying on the distributor to make the decisions.  So as long as Marvel cleared it with the distributor, everybody'd be happy.

Somethiing I'm curious about, though:  Did the publishers need to pay for the CCA seal?  I know most similar boards charge an arm and a leg to get a rating or seal of approval, and I have to wonder if there were marginal companies that couldn't make it with an extra burden.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »

With Spider Man 96, Stan Lee had gotten a request from the department of health to do a story about drugs and he figured that the US Government outweighed the CCA.
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »

my understanding is that the companies paid a fee to be part of the organization -- I'm sure the fee was contingent on how many issues were evaluated.

IIRC, NOW Comics back in the early 90's joined and was the first new publisher to join in a long time. Of course newsstand distribution was just about dead by then, so nobody really noticed overall and NOW was done shortly after that announcement.  Several companies that probably had enough traction in the direct market died when they tried to expand to the newsstand, with Comico and NOW being the two that directly come to my mind.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »

Your comment convinced me to just run a web search.  It turns out that, at least in the '90s, Code approval came in two ways.  If you were a member of the CMAA (which incurred an annual fee, based, as you suggest, on the number of monthly titles published, though I can't find a number for that), they reviewed your books for "free."  If you weren't in the CMAA, every book submitted for review cost five hundred bucks.

The books were then sent out to a contracted reviewing company who decided whether the book could carry the seal.

Turns out there's a book on the subject (and the relevant pages were on Google Books), "Seal of Approval: The History of the Comics Code," conveniently enough, and that's pretty much what I wanted to know.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:41:29 PM by John C »
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »

I remember reading about that book when it was in the research stage. I guess I never thought to look and see if it got finished.  it was a doctoral thesis if i recall correctly.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.