in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,879 books
 New: 101 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: The Case Against Comics - Gabriel Lynn

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: The Case Against Comics - Gabriel Lynn  (Read 214 times)

Frank Randle

message icon
« on: September 05, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »

Comics may cause incurable "algolagniacal urges"

Link to the book: The Case Against Comics - Gabriel Lynn
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 04:41:39 PM »

I think Mr Lynn overeggs the pudding somewhat but I think there is a kernel of truth in what he says - applied to American comics at least.

It does seem to me that most American comic books (and movies) are full of personal violence, clouded in a cloak of superhero fantasy - moreso today perhaps than even in the Golden Age. The concept of action is equated with crude violence.

There is little sense of personal development, allegory or irony as you might find in the Greek, Hindu or Nordic  myths from which they were derived. American superhero mythology is a degraded mythos.

The contrast with European comic books is very stark. European comic books do have superheroes but the majority of publications are based on humour, action heroes (with no super powers), story-telling and characterisation.

I am, of course, stretching the point - setting myself up as an Aunt Sally to be knocked down in the interests of debate - but I do worry about the impact on young American minds of all that normalised violence. Is there a link with a nation so insecure, it's military is ten times larger than any other?
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:03:26 PM »

I think Mr Lynn overeggs the pudding somewhat but I think there is a kernel of truth in what he says - applied to American comics at least.

It does seem to me that most American comic books (and movies) are full of personal violence, clouded in a cloak of superhero fantasy - moreso today perhaps than even in the Golden Age. The concept of action is equated with crude violence.

There is little sense of personal development, allegory or irony as you might find in the Greek, Hindu or Nordic  myths from which they were derived. American superhero mythology is a degraded mythos.

The contrast with European comic books is very stark. European comic books do have superheroes but the majority of publications are based on humour, action heroes (with no super powers), story-telling and characterisation.

I am, of course, stretching the point - setting myself up as an Aunt Sally to be knocked down in the interests of debate - but I do worry about the impact on young American minds of all that normalised violence. Is there a link with a nation so insecure, it's military is ten times larger than any other?

After much consideration, I get the feeling that on the parents
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 07:24:07 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 05:57:15 PM »

American entertainment, including films, TV, radio, books, and comic books, is based on individual freedom at all cost, leading to an unfeeling, irresponsible stress on capitalism, and the goal of gaining as much wealth as possible, which leads to the lowest common denominator of perceived taste, which leads to an extremely low level of product quality and worth as a learning device, or as entertainment.  And that tact leads to extreme stifling of artistic expression.  Thank goodness for The Internet and the new ability to self-publish!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.