in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 42,893 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Greatest Artists

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Greatest Artists  (Read 357 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Greatest Artists
« on: April 12, 2021, 06:22:44 AM »

Despite being a website so devoted to imagery, we don't seem to have a thread dedicated to discussing great art - so I thought I'd start one.

I did this because the Tate in London is holding a Paula Rego exhibition from May - she is a particular favourite of mine. Please use google images or similar to view her work - it's the quickest way.

I'm also a fan of Jack Vettriano - even though I know he comes in for a bit of stick from the experts - because I like the 'bright young things' vibe.

I imagined keeping the thread to artists within the last century so as not to plough over old ground with the classic artists - but that's up to you of course.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Greatest Artists
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:09:26 AM »

I've seen some of Ms. Rego's work.  Very impressive but  I'm not sure if  I liked a lot of it.  The early more abstract paintings appealed more.
I first saw paintings by Kurt Jackson at the Dovecot Gallery in Edinburgh years ago and was fascinated.  Great seascapes.:-
https://www.kurtjackson.com
It took me a while to get my head around the work of Joan Miro, but it is incredible.  I'm fortunate to have visited his studio and gallery just outside Palma de Mallorca a number of times.  And the gallery in Barcelona on 2 occasions.  I doubt this will be to everyones taste.
https://miromallorca.com/en/
Someone who collaborated with Miro was Alexander Calder, best known for his mobiles and stabiles.  There is a video somewhere of his model circus. But there is an illo on his page:-
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/alexander-calder-848/who-is-alexander-calder
I wonder if you'll get more posts on this.  I certainly hope so.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
Re: Greatest Artists
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:06:21 PM »

I like Miro too.

Without wanting to sound arty, there's a vibrancy in his work that seems to capture the subversive spirit of Catalonia - and despite the apparent sense of chaos in the imagery, there's a strong sense of form and balance of colour. It works for me, but of course each of us is different
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.