in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,879 books
 New: 98 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Astounding Stories 019

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Astounding Stories 019  (Read 258 times)

jrasicmark

message icon
« on: January 30, 2021, 05:30:02 AM »

Funny the lead story takes place in the far future of 1999! And they placed the moon landing in 1978 instead of 1969. They were only off by about a decade, which isn't too bad! We also didn't reach Venus and Mars by 1986 and 1994, though we did have the unmanned Voyager passing through the solar system. I can't remember the exact year it was launched or when it actually did pass Venus and Mars.
I love reading old sci-fi stories that take place in our past because it's fun to see how close their predictions might have been.

Link to the book: Astounding Stories 019
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:38:44 AM »

The future sure ain't what it used to be.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 05:52:42 AM »

I'm just tickled pink that if you have the cash you can own a robot maid and a flying car.
Unfortunately if flying cars became commonplace one might end up with a drunk driver crashing through their roof at 500 mph in a vehicle loaded with aviation fuel.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:48:59 AM »

Aviation Fuel?  - would be banned by then. Try a miniature cold fusion reactor. Rumour has it the Chinese are already designing minature reactors for planned domestic usage.     
ip icon Logged

jrasicmark

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 02:01:30 AM »

I'm just tickled pink that if you have the cash you can own a robot maid and a flying car.
Unfortunately if flying cars became commonplace one might end up with a drunk driver crashing through their roof at 500 mph in a vehicle loaded with aviation fuel.

I agree! I even find it a little worrying that I recently saw a news story that Kroger supermarkets are actually planning to start deliveries by drone! I heard Amazon had been thinking about it a few years ago, but I guess Kroger beat them to it. Come to think of it, I'm not too comfortable with the self-driving vehicles Uber's been working on either.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 08:55:45 AM »

I agree! I even find it a little worrying that I recently saw a news story that Kroger supermarkets are actually planning to start deliveries by drone! I heard Amazon had been thinking about it a few years ago, but I guess Kroger beat them to it. Come to think of it, I'm not too comfortable with the self-driving vehicles Uber's been working on either.

Well if civilization started to collapse we'd be seeing hunters and prepers  using their granpa's 10 gauge goose gun to knock down those drones to garner food for the family.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.