in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,472 books
 New: 223 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Pulp Mags ?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Pulp Mags ?  (Read 4663 times)

mriley

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: mriley
message icon
Pulp Mags ?
« on: February 18, 2007, 08:46:52 PM »

recently i have been running across scans of pulp magazines from the 30' and 40's some comic publishers also published pulps Avon for one - would they be of any interest to this web site.

mriley
ip icon Logged

libertybelle

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: libertybelle
message icon
Re: Pulp Mags ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 10:29:40 PM »

Unrelated to your question, but mind if I ask where you've been finding these pulp scans? I'm mostly interested in crime/detective titles, but mostly all I'm finding are the sf/westerns.
ip icon Logged

kusunoki

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 11:16:47 PM »

Ooh, ooh! I'm also dying to know where you've come across these scans (don't say the newsgroups, don't say the newsgroups).

Kusunoki
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:02:29 AM »

I'm interested in your source too!!!!

I have a few pulp pdfs I got off internet before S&S said 'no no', but the pulps don't have all the stories or illos.

ip icon Logged

mriley

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: mriley
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 01:07:43 AM »

Hi Guys- Since you basicly have the same question I'll gang reply to the forum.
sorry guys it's the news groups - as an aside I don't deal directly w/the newsgroups but subscribe to a service called Pictureview they delete most of the spam and allow batch downloading have a good search utility and are inespensive -$10 month- they carry on a regular basis two comic groups, two audiobook groups - old time radio - bbc radio- and sporadicly a movie poster/lobby card group - the last has some comic related material - movie serial material of Batman' Superman etal. early Disney and Walter Lance material.
  If you Google pulps you'll find some good sites with cover art but very little of the interior stories. Guttenberg  has a handful of pulp stories sans illustrations- for the most part may be worth a look see.

mriley
ip icon Logged

KnightRandom

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:56:12 PM »

Maybe you could try putting some of this up as a torrent?

I'm curious if anyone could point to scans of the Green Lama pulps?  I've downloaded the radio show and some of the comics and am curious about the pulps as well.  (Though IIRC there were a couple of recent reprints which were relatively cheap.)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

KnightRandom

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »

By the way, here's a site with PDFs of some of the Captain Future stories with the original illustrations.

http://www.capitaineflam.free.fr/ouv_usa_pulp.htm
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:25:25 PM »

I would not squawk one iota if this site was to include pulp scans.  About the only thing I can still afford to buy are the digest Astoundings and such.  Those 30's and 40's SF stories are so very crunchy and full of fibre.  Guaranteed to leave a smile on your face. 

Dave
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »

At the moment our main focus is comics, but later on if we have the resources Serj might consider hosting pulps as well. We will have to wait and see how we do with the comics first
ip icon Logged

kusunoki

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 12:50:39 AM »

This is a great site with stories scanned from the original books; but they are put up as single stories, rather than whole books. If that doesn't bother you, the stories are great (and the illos too), though.

http://pulpgen.com/pulp/downloads/recent.php
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »

(Cough.  And we probably shouldn't mention such places in these parts, lest someone with a jurisprudence degree might start insisting we're supporting privacy...)
ip icon Logged

MistyStarlight

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: MistyStarlight
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 05:54:25 AM »

http://pulpgen.com is the best site for pulps! And it would seem to be all legal.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »

This is without a doubt the best place to find pulp scans on the web:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pulpscans/

If you join and look in the photo section you will find a good number of links to pulps and there is usually a bit of discussion as the new pulps come in.  I post all my pulp scans here, and you will find many pulps from scanners outside of the comic scanning scene as well as some folks with some good knowledge about pulp mags. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:33:35 PM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 04:08:28 PM »

I will second the yahoo groups suggestion -- I would guess that at least 5 new scans get posted each week, in a pretty wide variety.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.