in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,888 books
 New: 91 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 104 - Border Patrol #2

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 104 - Border Patrol #2  (Read 2731 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 104 - Border Patrol #2
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »

Last week's book was "OKish", but hopefully this week's book will start our year off with a bang! It's a long overdue western Border Patrol #2 from  P.L. Publishing. I looked at the published date and it will soon be celebrating its 65th birthday!

The book can be found here  https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=40397 and the story we are concentrating on is the first one "The Golden Fraud".

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 104 - Border Patrol #2
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:48:12 AM »

I really liked the art and the cover...the STORY was predictable...but it was sort of fun in a neat way...I think you could make a game out of how many clich
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »

Cover looks great. I really liked the interior art also. The faces were distinctive and not all handsome. Yes it was predictable but it was predictable that it would be predictable. It was an OK western story. The worst part for me was the start where he just happened to be riding by in the middle of nowhere to hear the argument. I did not read the rest but looked through and really enjoyed the art
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:33:40 PM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:20:10 AM »

an after thought: is it even POSSIBLE to bleach horses without damaging them a lot? Plus, wouldn't the burns from the bleach create all sorts of problems that even my gramma could spot right off the top? I really don't know..I'm ASKING...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:33:19 PM »

Good point Morgus. But it read like this was something that actually happened a lot back in the day
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:15:02 PM »

With some quick Googling I learned that it is possible to bleach a horse like one does a "peroxide blonde," but it's terrible for the horse. It doesn't seem to have been used in the way the story suggests. There are "whitening shampoos" which make light horses lighter by removing stains and such. They use these to make a horse look whiter for showing. I doubt if there were such shampoos in the Old West. I suppose it's possible an  unscrupulous crook might bleach a horse, sell it, and  clear out before the animal has a chance to sicken. But passing the horse off as another breed seems unlikely.

I admit that when I read the story it had enough incidental detail that I believed the writer must have read about horse-bleaching in research and built a story around it. However a couple of sources say people call using whitening shampoos "bleaching." Perhaps the writer heard this expression and winged it from there.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 03:51:20 AM »

thanks for the research Crash
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 10:06:45 AM »

The Golden Fraud - A white horse named Ebony? Does this guy like ironic naming? Rough art, not a great story. Could have been a lot better, but wasn't.

The Lost Cities of Gold - Eh.

The Matador of Merzon Mesa - Meh.

Bullet Bait! - Not great, but so far it's the best story in the book.

The Secret of the Longhorns - Well, this was the best of the lot, but that abrupt ending had me wondering if there was a page missing.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »

It seems to be an age since we last read a Western, so let's hope this is a good one.

We start with the "Golden Fraud" featuring Ramrod Adams. He has a white horse, named Ebony. Go figure that one out! Wait, we now have a bunch of horses which have been bleached white.

Now I have finished it, I'd say that was OK. It liked the redemption message. One observation is; I have heard a man having big boots, but Ramrod has a BIG hat!

So our next border patrol officer is Sheriff Jeff Lassiter in The Lost Cities Of Gold. He has a different sort of hat and obviously pays attention to his appearance. It looks very much like he could sing a family friendly song or two about cowboy life and riding the range.

This is followed by a not very nice bullfighting story.

OK and the name of the next Border Patrol Officer is ... Rick Dawson. I think he has a fine array of neckerchiefs and female admirer in every town. You know the sort!

Our last officer (hopefully) is Stuart Grant who has a fairly big hat, looks well groomed and wears a smart red neckerchief. His is a rather dodgy story about counterfeit money being hidden in live cattle horns. It also has a little bit too much dialogue about past rope tricks with Susan ...

Verdict: Certainly a hit, with readable story lines, but by the end I was getting a bit Border Patroled out.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:18 PM »

I
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.