in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 236 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Jetta 5

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Jetta 5  (Read 1146 times)

netrap

message icon
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:00:01 AM »

These are curious. Basically, these are "Archie in the Future". And these went on ten years before the premiere of "The Jetsons".

Link to the book: Jetta 5
ip icon Logged

Alaric

message icon
Re: Re: Jetta 5
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 09:56:12 PM »

What I'm curious about is the relationship between this series and the same company's Jet Fighters series. Both series have 3 issues- 5 to 7- spanning the same time- 1952 to 1953, and the word "jet" in both titles is shown in pretty much the same font/style on the covers. Were they both somehow derived from an earlier series (perhaps running from issue 1 to 4) with "jet" in the title? I know things like that sometimes happened.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 01:27:09 AM »

I see what you mean about the shape of the "Jet" in the two logos. Probably the same letterer designed both logos. "Jet" anything was hot stuff back then (I remember rotting my teeth with Sugar Jets cereal) so it's no wonder the word found its way into the name of their future-kid.

I know that a number of 1950s Standard titles started with issue 5. I read somewhere that it was some kind of dodge for accounting purposes.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:37:18 AM »

I believe the post office charged a fee for new series, so by starting at a number higher than 1 they could try to trick the post office into thinking it was just an old series with a new name or something like that.
ip icon Logged

bdw

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »

yup in many cases it was just continuing a series under another name i.e.

MLJ's Top Notch Comics to Top Notch Laugh Comics to Laugh Comix to Suzie

but in the case of Standard's Jetta it was a dodge and also a trick on readers because back then they somehow figured that if we saw a #5 on the news stand it must be an ongoing thing and therefore must be good

though in this case, maybe the PO caught on after three issues and told Standard to cease and desist. there was an unpublished #8(4th) issue and some of it can be seen in IDWs 2010 Jetta reprint compilation:

https://www.amazon.com/DeCarlos-Jetta-Library-Good-Girl/dp/1600106463
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:03:22 PM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.