in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Violent Cartoons

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Violent Cartoons  (Read 5580 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Violent Cartoons
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »

Funny how that goes. As a kid, even before becoming a Christian, of all the multitudes of Saturday morning cartoons from 6am to noon the least favorite, well, cartoons were the spice of life back then thus all favorites, but maybe a better term could be used as something more akin to 'plain jane didn't like', was WoodyWoodpecker.

Just couldn't understand why the bird would continually without reason go and peck on somebody's head with exaggerated violence while doing that weird catcall we would all later walk around trying to mimic. Guess it was just the unbridled rough zanyness of the actions.

Loved the Roadrunner and WillyJ interaction tho', think it must have been the deliberate thought in the conflict and the telling of the little sequence stories within each episode, then they are always back at it again later. Kinda like that sheepdog protecting the flock and then both he and the adversary greeting each other when punching out on the timeclock at the same time at end of the show. No hard feeling, bub, just comes with the job.

I need to look at some early Krazy Kat comics to decide. I have some 1960's. I loved the 1960's Krazy Kat cartoons when they were on TV as a kid. I was actually a very sexist and  mean kid. I liked him hitting her on the head with the bricks. I do not doubt at all that had I not become a Christian I would have been a cheater and a wife beater. I thank God for the change at 14 or there is no telling what troubles I would have gotten into and where I would be today. BTW my wife and I met in church, so I know that I would not have her or consequently my son, so I have much to be thankful for.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:21:14 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Violent Cartoons
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »

I loved the sheepdog and Woody. I found Roadrunner just too redundant for just too long like Pepe Le Pew. All great gags but not enough to sustain as many episodes as were produced. The sheepdog had few appearances and thus remained funny. Every series is going to have the reuse of the gags that make them popular but some stay funny while others go stale real fast. I never liked Scoopy Doo after the first couple of episodes. They never changed the story up enough for me. Bugs, Daffy, Woody managed enough variety to sustain for several episodes.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »

I've got all the Golden Age Looney Tunes Collections so you know I'm a fan!
I agree - the Harvey cartoons were Terrible!  Mighty Mouse - BLECH!
I'd even sit through those boring Mickey Mouse Club shows in hopes of seeing a GA Disney cartoon.
I recall seeing my first Fleisher Superman... WOW!  Blew my mind.
:)
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »

I'm waiting on a better buy to get those LooneyTunes DVDs as after checking they are still all pretty dear to the pocketbook.

Narf, was it the same WileyJ with the sheepdog that was with the roadrunner?

I've got all the Golden Age Looney Tunes Collections so you know I'm a fan!
I agree - the Harvey cartoons were Terrible!  Mighty Mouse - BLECH!
I'd even sit through those boring Mickey Mouse Club shows in hopes of seeing a GA Disney cartoon.
I recall seeing my first Fleisher Superman... WOW!  Blew my mind.
:)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:12:31 PM »

I'm waiting on a better buy to get those LooneyTunes DVDs as after checking they are still all pretty dear to the pocketbook.
They run so much on TV that I can get all that I want

Narf, was it the same WileyJ with the sheepdog that was with the roadrunner?

Thought it does not make sense I believe it was
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 11:31:06 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:15:57 PM »

Nope, In the Sheepdog cartoons it was Ralph Wolf, not Wile E. Coyote.  Clearly the same model sheets, though.

Not a fan of all the classic cartoon series, but I've got all the Looney Tunes sets they've done so far, as well as all the Walt Disney Treasures with the cartoons.  (I don't have all the non-cartoon sets; there are one or two I would like to find.)  Wonderful stuff.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »

Chronological Duck was great!
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:46:33 AM »

Before Christmas I was walking thru a WallyWorld and they had a large discount bin of DVDs up by the main doors of course I had to stop and roam a bit

when I found a cartoon collection of 2disc 180 oldies at a giveaway price so I had to buy it. Had some old Superman cartoons on there. You know the ones where he just leaps over tall buildings in a single bound.

'...and do the locomotive...'

Nope, In the Sheepdog cartoons it was Ralph Wolf, not Wile E. Coyote.  Clearly the same model sheets, though.

Not a fan of all the classic cartoon series, but I've got all the Looney Tunes sets they've done so far, as well as all the Walt Disney Treasures with the cartoons.  (I don't have all the non-cartoon sets; there are one or two I would like to find.)  Wonderful stuff.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 06:37:47 AM »

Yeah, those would be ONLY THE BEST SUPERMAN CARTOONS EVER MADE!
I hope they looked better than the usual mud versions everyone and his dog releases.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »

Warner actually sold (I don't know if it's still in print) a nicely-restored Superman run, if anybody's looking for such a thing.

As a sidenote, I don't think I ever correlated cartoon violence with reality.  While it's funny when the cartoon coyote falls several thousand feet only to be crushed by an avalanche, it seemed pretty obvious that this wasn't something to try with the neighbors or their pets.

I did, however, hate that damned woodpecker.  Mean-spirited, irritating, AND boring!  (I like to think that, in his old age, Woody packed on the weight, started wearing glasses, and now makes politically-motivated, biased documentaries...)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »

Warner's released the restored cartoons as extras on their Superman Movie collection.  It's actually coming out as it's own set in April and I'm definitely planning on getting it then.

I would watch Woody Woodpecker as a kid and remember enjoying it.  Unlike lots of others I haven't had any real interest in going back to look; I suspect I only enjoyed them because they were cartoons.  They were better than the Caspar the Friendly Ghost, though.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »

I had to go and look at the set and see it is a 4 disc set instead of 2 as I previously said. 21 hours advertised on the package.
I did watch the soups. Clark uses the phonebooth to change into his uniform.

Yeah, those would be ONLY THE BEST SUPERMAN CARTOONS EVER MADE!
I hope they looked better than the usual mud versions everyone and his dog releases.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.