in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,472 books
 New: 223 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Thor Complete Collection

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Thor Complete Collection  (Read 422 times)

Jerry V

message icon
« on: October 02, 2021, 04:30:02 PM »

Wow! Excellent! Thank you, FraBig!

Link to the book: Thor Complete Collection
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 04:48:32 PM »

You're welcome! I'm happy you enjoyed this compilation, I really have fun making these.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 06:34:49 PM »

Keep going FraBig.  Good stuff.  I'm happy.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 09:33:10 PM »

Interesting art and stories from the dawn of comic books.  Pretty crude artwork, that was fairly common back in those days.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »

Thanks guys. It always surprises me how much Fox's Thor and Marvel's Thor are similar: long blonde hair, no beard, the fact he throws the hammer and it can return to him, the fact that he's a mortal to which Thor gives his powers (like Donald Blake)...

There are just so many common points, I wonder if Stan Lee or Jack Kirby read this Fox issues and then re-elaborated them when thinking about Marvel's Thor. I mean, Jack was even working for Fox in that period on the Blue Bolt, he may have heard or even read this comic written by one of his colleagues.
But this is just mere speculation.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:34:00 PM »

I wonder if Stan Lee or Jack Kirby read this Fox issues and then re-elaborated them when thinking about Marvel's Thor. I mean, Jack was even working for Fox in that period on the Blue Bolt, he may have heard or even read this comic written by one of his colleagues. 

Oh, I have no doubt, but I would point at Stan Lee and the publisher, Martin Goodman rather than Jack. It's clear to me that they grabbed every PD name and concept that they could and recycled them to create Marvel comics.

Not criticism, just facts. 

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 12:47:31 PM »

Yes, that's a fair point. Stan was definitely more likely to have recycled the concept, however, I still wonder how he came into contact with these stories, they weren't definitely the best-selling and most famous Fox stories (unlike Blue Beetle and Blue Bolt), and Thor similar to the Marvel one appears only for a few issues out of all of his appearances (which are just 5 issues in total).
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 12:22:42 AM »

Re Thor and borrowed Ideas.
Oh, I think
One:- Stan had to have been an avid reader. Had to have been to get the ideas for all the stories he wrote.
And I've been looking at many old Atlas books recently. He wrote a lot of stories.
Obviously with the help, at times of some of the artists.   

Two:- In any business, it makes sense to keep an eye on what the competition is doing.
Just look at DC and Marvel from 1960 onward. One publisher does something, the other publisher copies it. Just like Movie companies or TV companies. Monkey see, Monkey Do.
Kirby recycled his own work mostly, not that of others.
Hey, thought! Kirby worked for the company that published  the original Thor. Maybe it was his idea in the first place?
Stop the  presses. Research is wonderful! Answer to the question. Yep! it was Kirby's idea.
Here is Kirby doing Thor - for DC! a few Years before!
  See Thor And His Hammer In a DC Comic Years Before Journey Into Mystery #83
https://www.cbr.com/thor-hammer-dc-comic-jack-kirby/
Wow! that has made my day!
What really blows me away about that story, just look at that hammer! That is totally Marvel Thor's hammer! 
And it seems I know something that the writer of this piece on Wikipedia doesn't.
The Warriors Three are a group of fictional characters appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The characters served as supporting cast members in Thor. The Warriors Three are the Asgardians Fandral, Hogun, and Volstagg. Though the characters are gods of Asgard, they are original creations of Marvel Comics and not based on characters from Norse mythology. 

These characters are based on a group of characters from Shakespeare's Henry the Fifth.  They were drinking companions of the King when he was a prince. Sound familiar? Volstagg is based on Falstaff.
Love to know if it was Kirby or Lee who read Shakespeare. I suspect Lee, given the prose style he used on Thor.
Cheers, and happy reading!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:30:09 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 01:49:24 AM »

I always found it funny that in the origin story's last panel Thor's name, in huge type, was misspelled. Maybe Artie Simek or Sam Rosen was so used to lettering the silly names of Kirby monsters that THORR!!! seemed natural.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.