in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,472 books
 New: 223 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Hollywood Film Stories 2

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Hollywood Film Stories 2  (Read 187 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« on: July 21, 2022, 01:30:01 AM »

And here is the movie.
Paid in Full | 1950 | Lizabeth Scott | Robert Cummings | Diana Lynn | Eve Arden | Full Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60rKnPEAcRw
Pretty Soppy movie but still, Lizabeth Scott!
Enjoy!

Link to the book: Hollywood Film Stories 2
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 09:56:57 AM »

Yes, it was quite soppy.  But, I've always liked Robert Cummings, Lizabeth Scott, and Eve Arden.  It's not a story I'd care about seeing drawn by an artist, let alone using stills from the film with captions and dialogue balloons.  It's also a bit far-fetched.  That choice about being able to save either the mother or the baby might be a situation that sometimes occurs in real life.  But combining it with the already extremely coincidental events that built the odd love-hate relationship between the sisters is too much to take, and makes the ending seem too unnatural and the formerly estranged couple's reactions to each other seem very unlikely.  Also, what is not shown in the film, and left to the assumption of the viewer, that Jane and William conceived their child on their wedding night, and at no later than a handful of months after that, before Jane would start showing her pregnancy, she ran away and hid from her husband, so he couldn't  stop her from having the baby and sealing her own doom at that young age.  It is way too much like a fairy tale a sappy, moralistic one, at that.  That she would make such a choice, and he, and the police would be so ineffective at finding her is too much to believe. 

In any case, with no fabulous artwork by a great artist, it would have no redeeming features.  I wouldn't have wasted my precious dimes on such so-called "comic books".  I wonder who was buying this one?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:43:57 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 12:15:26 PM »

What a weird combination. Stills, word balloons and numbered text boxes.  British comics regularly used balloons and text boxes together but seldom with photos. As I've got a bee in my bonnet right now about photo comics, this is a great find. 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 12:16:05 AM »

This reminded me that there was once a genre of film popularly known as 'weepies'. There were quite a few of them in the 50's for some reason.
It is way too much like a fairy tale a sappy, moralistic one

These films are like anti-noirs!
I remember my shock, at the age of about 7, coming out of a film, which was emotionally engaging, to hear two mature ladies bawling their eyes out. Even at that age, I knew film was artificial and was astounded that someone could get that affected by what they saw on a screen.
But, yes, why would you choose that film to market in a comic? I guess it was the studio's decision as to what they wanted to promote. And yes, a great cast.
Here is another one. Very similar. As a film, excellent.
Caught (1949)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQSFesOwpOQ
Also a great cast. Robert Ryan and James Mason .... and a young Barbara Bel Geddes. [Dallas]         
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.