in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,472 books
 New: 226 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Air Fighters Comics v1 04

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Air Fighters Comics v1 04  (Read 260 times)

Johnny L. Wilson

message icon
« on: December 16, 2021, 04:30:02 AM »

In the “Airboy” story, he flies off to intercept a group of “bombers” headed for a destroyer and, although the artwork on the Zeros is nice for the media of this era, it is my understanding that Zeros were not used as bombers until later in the war than it is possible for Airboy’s mission to be taking place. The bit with Japanese General Kato requires plenty of suspension of disbelief, but what are comics for? If they were too realistic, they’d just be “news” or “biography.”

Sky Wolf: As hilarious as Hitler’s discomfiture was when confronted by the witch and the realization of Genghis Khan’s return from the dead, this story “jumped the shark” for me, even more than the semi-planes did when I first saw them. And what about those “rocs?” I don’t remember giant birds associated with Khan’s conquests. Ah, fantasy! I guess I just enjoy bizarre stories and this one was indeed that!

Skinny McGinty: They are comic books, right? So, it seems like even in the wartime war story books, there always had to be a comedic story. Instead of the racist Chinese character in the first issues, this one had a try-out in this issue. It’s pretty goofy, but I’m sure the kids loved it. I could live without these and stick to the adventure stories, but I laughed at the human fly paper idea.

Iron Ace: Unless the armor worn by the Iron Ace is supposed to be the same as the miracle armor on the plane (and it wasn’t originally because it was originally historical armor), it makes no sense at all for the armor to be bulletproof. Still, these are entertaining stories. Even though they are in color, I get the feeling of some of the old black and white serials as I’m reading these stories.

The text story, Air Convoy, was imaginative and interesting. I don’t think things work quite like the authors thought they worked, but they did a marvelous service during the war years by setting up a scenario that pointed out how valuable each little delivery of oil was to the war effort. And, the authors were quite right that a lot of ships that normally wouldn’t have been considered seaworthy were pressed into duty, even if they were sticking close in coastal waters.

Black Angel: The story changes to the Pacific Theater without really explaining how the Black Angel got there. It doesn’t matter, though. The story contains both a deus ex natura and deus ex machina to assist with the Black Angel’s escapes. The fight sequences seemed better illustrated than most of the stories I’ve seen in this title, but in the interests of expedience, most of the planes are shown in shadow. The anti-Japanese epithets seem consistent with what one would have expected in WWII. These stories are worth reading just to remind us of how things were.

Bald Eagle: There is plenty of action in this tale, but it demonstrates that the fantastic elements of the stories are outweighing the realistic aspects of the stories in most of the features. This story mostly takes place on the ground with mechanics involving a Japanese gas that temporarily shrinks and freezes Japanese soldiers long enough to infiltrate them into toy shops so they can be carried into the private homes of the U.S. In the story, our bald protagonist fortuitously visits the home of a commanding officer whose son collects toy soldiers. That’s where the real action of the story begins, ending with the obligatory dogfight with the outnumbered Bald Eagle against a mass of armed but undermaneuvering fighter-bombers.

The Flying Dutchman: The idea of a duel with an enemy disfigured from a previous encounter is a nice high concept for a story. It seemed like there was an unnecessary reconstructive surgery that didn’t really fulfill any plot necessity, but there are some nice action panels in this story and I don’t think regular readers would be dissatisfied.

Link to the book: Air Fighters Comics v1 04
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 05:09:36 AM »

The Japanese plane on the first page is not a Zero. It's fixed spatted landing gear mark it as a "Val" dive bomber. A formidable dive bomber similar in some respects to the Stuka and the Douglas SDB.

The other "jap" planes are mostly a hodgepodge Of semi correct artistic representations of the Zeros and Vultee P66 advanced trainers, which 1940's Hollywood thought similar enough to pass for a Zero. Since these aircraft were stationed in California they often ended up in the war films of the day.
ip icon Logged

Johnny L. Wilson

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 02:10:38 AM »

My bad for misidentifying the VALs. It makes more sense, now.

But the real jewel for me was when you mentioned the Vultee P66s doubling for Zeros (Zeroes?). I wondered how they ended up with Japanese planes that could fly. I should have known.

Even though it's obviously been a while since I've been on Comic Book Plus, I am so thankful you responded to the comments.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 03:18:26 AM »

Johnny L. Wilson, welcome back!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.