in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,472 books
 New: 226 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Motion Picture Comics 110 When Worlds Collide

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Motion Picture Comics 110 When Worlds Collide  (Read 347 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« on: September 25, 2022, 09:00:02 AM »

I used to own the VHS of this movie from the early 1950s, so was interested to see what the comic adaptation was like. Always difficult to adapt a whole movie in a 32-page comic. So many character names were thrown in at the beginning, that I had a bit of trouble keeping track of them. The story-telling is a bit pedestrian, but the overall story is okay. Lots of completely far-fetched aspects. Apparently if you can fly planes and helicopters, you can fly a rocket ship with no training. Also, when sending the remnants of humankind and some animals to a new planet, it's not important to check the atmosphere first. Just step out of the ship and hope for the best. The romance was also a bit contrived. But it's an interesting example from the times. The art is good. Sci-fi fans probably would have loved this one. I would have loved to see comic book adaptations of 'Forbidden Planet' and 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'.

Link to the book: Motion Picture Comics 110 When Worlds Collide
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 09:37:42 AM »

Also, when sending the remnants of humankind and some animals to a new planet, it's not important to check the atmosphere first. Just step out of the ship and hope for the best.

As they said in the film, there was no place else they could go if the atmosphere could not support life so they might as well get it over with quick.

As for the piloting. Once the craft reached the atmosphere it was a glider. A very large but not too ungainly glider, so a highly skilled experienced pilot of conventional aircraft could play it by ear, flying by the seat of his pants as it were. The Space Shuttles were gliders on their landing runs. The main pilot also helped design and build the space ship, so he knew what he was doing.
This ship was built like a tank, literally, so it handled landing stresses that would crumple a conventional aircraft like a candy wrapper.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 06:52:35 AM »

As they said in the film, there was no place else they could go if the atmosphere could not support life so they might as well get it over with quick.

As for the piloting. Once the craft reached the atmosphere it was a glider. A very large but not too ungainly glider, so a highly skilled experienced pilot of conventional aircraft could play it by ear, flying by the seat of his pants as it were. The Space Shuttles were gliders on their landing runs. The main pilot also helped design and build the space ship, so he knew what he was doing.
This ship was built like a tank, literally, so it handled landing stresses that would crumple a conventional aircraft like a candy wrapper.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I needed to suspend disbelief a bit more  :D It's probably 20 years since I saw the movie, and it wasn't bad, but I didn't like it as much as some other sci-fi movies of the 50s like 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' and 'Forbidden Planet'. The comic reinforced that belief, though the art was good. If I'd seen the comic in a store back then, I would have bought it.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.