in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,509 books
 New: 237 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Amazing Man Comics 22

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Amazing Man Comics 22  (Read 400 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« on: January 15, 2024, 12:07:02 AM »

The Shark strip here is by Lew Glanzman, brother of Sam Glanzman.
Check out the villain, 'the Portable man'
Is that an off-the-wall idea, or what?
And another story with a 'supertelevision' set that can see 'all over the world'.
Didn't take comic creators long to predict CCTV, did it?

Link to the comment: Amazing Man Comics 22
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 11:56:19 AM »

Lew and Sam also both worked on Amazing Man during this period. They made some great stories and they were perfect successors to Bill Everett, who left the series in issue #11.

I still always can't remember who among the two was drawing the interiors and who was doing the covers, but they're both great. They also had a very similar art style.
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 12:48:11 PM »

I am not sure San Glanzman did any work on Amazing Man. Lew Glanz and Sam Decker were both pen names of Louis S. Glanzman. Samuel was Lew's middle name and Decker was his mother's maiden name. This info from Alter Ego # 46, March 2005.

As far as I know, Samuel J. Glanzman first work in comic books was Fly-Man in Spitfire Comics #1 & 2 (Aug 1941–Oct 1941, John F. Mahon).
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 02:30:45 PM »

If you check on the GCD, quite a few stories or covers are credited to one of them, or even both. Apparently, according to that site, they worked together on that series. I am aware that Sam Decker was one of Lew's pen names.
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 06:36:07 PM »

I'm not disputing the Lew Glanzman credits. Some of those GCD credits are just best guesses. Especially those 1940 credits. Sam Glanzman would have been only 16 and still on high school. They have S.G. as Sam Glanzman when it's much more likely to be Sam Gilman.

I'm just not convinced that any of those Sam Glanzman credits at Centaur are correct.

But you are correct that Lew and Sam had  a very similar art style back then, so who knows
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 07:41:32 PM »

"According to the Who's Who, the Glanzman's were brothers that worked on Amazing Man (Lew in 1940 and Sam from 1940-42). Sam often signed his artwork "Glanz" (such as on this cover), but Lew did not, again indicated by the Who's Who. This issue was cover dated March, 1941, and, barring any evidence extant to the contrary, this cover had to have been done by Sam, not Lew."

This is an extract from the notes about the cover of Amazing Man Comics #21.
Here's the link:
https://www.comics.org/issue/1289/
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 05:28:28 PM »

Okay, I pulled out my paper copy of Comic Book Artist #5 (Summer 1999), which has an interview with Sam J. Glanzman. This is from page 96:

CBA: What comic books did you draw before World War II? Ron Goulart's Great History of Comic Books credits you with an "Amazing Man" story for Centaur.

Sam: So who the hell is this fellow, Ron Goulart? Anyway, the guy is wrong, wrong, wrong! My older brother Louis Glanzman (a.k.a. "L.S.G." or "L.S. Decker" drew the "Amazing Man," not me!!!

Barring any extant evidence to the contrary, the Who's Who is wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Thanks for making me do this research. I had forgotten where I had read that.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 09:42:25 PM »

I see, good to know. Seems like the GCD should be updated and corrected about the Sam Glanzman credits on Amazing Man.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.