in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,509 books
 New: 236 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Jet Black 5

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Jet Black 5  (Read 207 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« on: June 25, 2024, 12:37:02 PM »

'We wear short shorts!'
Sheb Wooley "The Purple People Eater" (Official Video)
https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jV-E09efRE&ab_channel=AllSeasonsMusic
What were these guys on? Oh, yeah, 'TEQUILA!'
How did they get that on the air in 1957?
Just glad that they did.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, ( I'm used to it.) but is not 'Jet Black' an ink colour?

Thanks Dan!

Link to the comment: Jet Black 5
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 11:45:55 PM »

The Purple People Eater is definitely on my list of comics to find and scan!

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 03:06:29 AM »

The Purple People Eater is definitely on my list of comics to find and scan!

From the looks of that front cover, I think I would love to read that comic book.  When was it issued?  2 Shillings was a lot!  My guess is that it was issued some time during the mid 1960s ('64-'66?), and must have been a giant comic.  I don't remember seeing that cover in "From Sunbeams To Sunset".  It certainly is memorable.  Irreverent comedy Sci-Fi......... I'm all for it!!!   8)
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 03:37:13 AM »

From the looks of that front cover, I think I would love to read that comic book.  When was it issued?  2 Shillings was a lot!  My guess is that it was issued some time during the mid 1960s ('64-'66?), and must have been a giant comic.  I don't remember seeing that cover in "From Sunbeams To Sunset".  It certainly is memorable.  Irreverent comedy Sci-Fi......... I'm all for it!!!   8)

Published in 1858, the year the song was released (and was number 1 on the Australian charts, that September). That's before I was born, but the song continued to haunt the airwaves for years afterwards. It's 32 pages long, including two interior pages in colour (or so I read at AusReprints.net)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 05:59:37 PM »

Published in 1958, the year the song was released (and was number 1 on the Australian charts, that September). That's before I was born, but the song continued to haunt the airwaves for years afterwards. It's 32 pages long, including two interior pages in colour (or so I read at AusReprints.net)

Yes, I remember when the song came out in summer 1958 in Canada.  Only 32 pages!  And only the (outer) covers and 2 inside pages (probably the inside cover pages) in colour.... makes me wonder why this book was so expensive.  i seem to remember that most of the Australian 30-32 page comic books I've seen from 1958 cost 9d, or 1 Shilling, at most.
ip icon Logged

Downunder Dan

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2024, 04:41:49 AM »

Yes, I remember when the song came out in summer 1958 in Canada.  Only 32 pages!  And only the (outer) covers and 2 inside pages (probably the inside cover pages) in colour.... makes me wonder why this book was so expensive.  i seem to remember that most of the Australian 30-32 page comic books I've seen from 1958 cost 9d, or 1 Shilling, at most.

Your suggestion of which two pages are in colour sounds sensible, but the AusReprints site says 'The story includes a full page splash page as part of the story every few pages. Pages 7 and 23, both full page drawings, are in colour.' I'd have thought they'd be on the same sheet, but that doesn't work with those pages. I'm having a break from scanning so can't order it up to check. (I've got a few scanned issues up my sleeve, so no break in uploading!) So the mystery will have to wait for a resolution.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2024, 11:39:59 PM »

Your suggestion of which two pages are in colour sounds sensible, but the AusReprints site says 'The story includes a full page splash page as part of the story every few pages. Pages 7 and 23, both full page drawings, are in colour.' I'd have thought they'd be on the same sheet, but that doesn't work with those pages. I'm having a break from scanning so can't order it up to check. (I've got a few scanned issues up my sleeve, so no break in uploading!) So the mystery will have to wait for a resolution.

I look forward to your obtaining scans of this book, and uploading it on CB+: and I also look forward to finding out why the publisher allowed the extra cost to have the two extra colour splash-panel whole unpaired, unrelated pages printed, and whether or not TGHAT extra cost drove the books purchase price from 1 Shilling up to 2 shillings (an exhorbitant price in 1958, for a conventional sized (32-page) Australian comic book (that normally would have been the price of a Giant (60-80 page0) comic book).
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.