in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

My wanted comics are Wanted comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: My wanted comics are Wanted comics  (Read 4018 times)

Maximilian

• VIP
message icon
My wanted comics are Wanted comics
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:41:35 PM »

Those that are from Rural Home/ Croyden Publishing. See here

http://www.goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?cid=273

Great crime stories, some early John Buscema and the great Harry Anderson. I sent the Harry Anderson psycho-killer story "Start Screaming, It's Murder!" from Wanted 048 to Karswell who found it so creepy he put it up on The Horrors Of It All. And his readers were creeped out by it! That's high praise.

So if anyone has any more to scan, that would be great. Thanks!
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: My wanted comics are Wanted comics
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »

Hello from Paris, everyone.
This thread made me want to point out another publisher grouping fallacy that really needs to be addressed eventually. That is: Rural Home is NOT Orbit/Our/Wanted/Toytown/Patches.

Going strictly from memory here, the only connection/overlap that ever occurred was the first issues of Toytown, Patches and Taffy (the first comics of the group that would eventually become Orbit) are printed during war-time paper rationing using Rural Home and Swapper's Quarterly and Almanac paper quotas. I don't think that "Rural Home" is ever again associated with Rae Hermann's company.

There were a LOT of other, valid, Rural Home titles, but to lump all of Hermann's books (variously published by Our/Wanted/Toytown/Taffy/Patches Pub. Cos.) is very misleading and wrong. I suggest that we make a publisher called Orbit (the logo that appears on the most covers - a la "Atlas") and move the following titles:
Patches
Taffy
Toytown
Wanted
The Westerner
Love Diary
Love Journal

into that group. Such a move would be much more reflective of reality.

And, I concur that Wanted Comics are superb. I've got a complete set should one of the scanners want to move them up in his priority.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:06:45 PM »

Thanks Jim we want to keep it real so it is now done.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 01:48:36 AM »

Heya Jim!  I hope Paris is treating you well.  I am intrigued by hearing all this about a publisher that I know nothing about...I'll have to dig in and do some reading!
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 07:00:21 AM »

With the very real exception of my AC Adapter failing ten minutes into my computer setup here, everything is fine. Dell came through, after much Support-Chat prodding and I got them to send me a new one yesterday. Life is good. Today we are off to Invalides - look it up.

Orbit is a magnificent company. Run by Rae Hermann (a one-time co-owner of Et-Es-Go/Continental), it was where John Buscema, Harry Anderson, Bernie Krigstein, Syd Shores, Mort Leav, Mort Lawrence, Rafael Astartita, and many other fine artists worked for years after the "fateful closet" at Timely in 1950. I own every comic they published except Taffy (or Patches) #7 - once more memory fails me.

Check them out. Overall one of the highest artistic standards after EC that you are likely to find.

ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »

You have my curiosity up!  I see we have precious few Orbits on site (I DL'ed a couple Wanted issues).  If nobody else steps up, I will ask you to send me a batch of them after I get the FH's back to you (just crossed the 20% scanned milestone last night)

Good news on the tech side...nice that Dell took care of you (European voltage on that?). Say 'hi' to Napoleon for me.  ;-)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:21:48 PM »

You have my curiosity up!  I see we have precious few Orbits on site (I DL'ed a couple Wanted issues).  If nobody else steps up, I will ask you to send me a batch of them after I get the FH's back to you (just crossed the 20% scanned milestone last night)

Good news on the tech side...nice that Dell took care of you (European voltage on that?). Say 'hi' to Napoleon for me.  ;-)

Check the Rural Home listings, BB,
I haven't looked at the Orbits after narfstar re-distributed the scans, but there were several Wanted issues on site. Orbit is one of my favorite companies - witness the fact that I have almost a complete set. Great stuff.

Dell required some strong urging. I had an extended "chat" session with their American (Indian?) support people and had to insist on a supervisor and after many iterations of the "I can't promise you anything but I'll put in the request and you'll have your AC Adapter in 10-15 business days" mantra, I finally got a commitment to at least tell me on Monday what they were going to do and when I could expect delivery. Imagine my surprise Monday morning when I got a call from Dell.fr from a nice tech guy who spoke English and promised overnight delivery on Tuesday. And so it came to pass.

Voltage is immaterial. The AC Adapters take input anywhere from 100 to 240 V and require only an adapter for the plug configuration. Most any power supply these days is that way. Anything that has a "transformer" block on it is pretty much usable anywhere in the world as long as you can adapt the plug to local outlets.

Yes, please take some Orbits next time. You'll be glad you did.

ps. just back from a wonderful dinner at our favorite local restaurant, Tete de Goinfre (The Head of the Glutton): a bottle of Bourgogne, a foie gras appetizer, steak tartare entr
ip icon Logged

Maximilian

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 05:29:50 AM »

JVJ, thanks for the info! wow, a full set of Wanted! And you're offering them to your team of scanners! Very good news. I will patiently wait for the coming months to bring me a few more. Thanks!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:17:17 AM »

Jim,
The National Home of Invalids?
You seem to be in Paris more than the US. You are very fortunate my friend!

I find myself becoming more and more interested in the history and development of the different publishers (and Paris thanks to Jim!) and all the things that went on in the background. I find myself thinking of these things as I'm reading one of their comics. My head got dizzy trying to figure out the whole Better/Nedor mess.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:45:03 AM »

From the little I have read so far there appears to be a lot of DC behind the scenes in The Carmine Infantino book.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »

Jim,
The National Home of Invalids?
You seem to be in Paris more than the US. You are very fortunate my friend!

Invalides was originally created in the 17th century as a hospital/long-term-care facility for French war veterans. There were ALWAYS French wars, and the resulting veterans. It developed into a museum for the Army and is the location of Napoleon's tomb. Currently on special exhibition there is an extended display on Charles de Gaulle covering both World Wars.

Paris brings out the wanderer in me. I didn't know he was there, but it's always nice to learn something new about yourself. Today we visited the (ooooh ooooooooh) Catacombs which extend for miles beneath the streets of Paris.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Catacombs
One small section is open to the public. It's an ossuary FILLED with the bones of hundreds of thousands of deceased Parisians from the last 500 years.

I find myself becoming more and more interested in the history and development of the different publishers (and Paris thanks to Jim!) and all the things that went on in the background.

After that we visited Une Regard Moderne (look it up)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1136692/un_regarde_moderne/
and then to Galarie Daniel Maghen where a Charles Vess exhibition opened yesterday. Tomorrow we'll go to the "official" opening night and see Charles. What a treat.

I find myself thinking of these things as I'm reading one of their comics. My head got dizzy trying to figure out the whole Better/Nedor mess.

Regarding Nedor/Better/etc. I've simply envisioned them as the same publisher under different labels. There doesn't seem to be any great confusion other than the use of different names. But, hell, if we can deal with Martin Goodman's myriad labels, Ned Pines' few shouldn't trouble us so much. But perhaps I'm oversimplifying things. I've been known to do that sometimes.

Not only a complete Wanted, Maximillian, but a complete Orbit, except for Patches #7 - hard one to find, apparently.

ip icon Logged

jcalamil

message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »

does anybody have Red Rabbit comics beggining from 12th issue?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.