in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Flashback Universe Returns!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Flashback Universe Returns!  (Read 2436 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Flashback Universe Returns!
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »

http://flashbackuniverse.blogspot.com/2011/06/breaks-over.html

Our friends at the Flashback Universe Blog return from a well deserved break with discussion on the upcoming reboot/retooling of the DC Comics universe and other developments.

Check it out.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Flashback Universe Returns!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »

S'il y a quelq'un qui m'a suivi, enchantez de vous rencontrer pour la reste.
Very interesting, as are the comments on the article.  I had a chat with Dave at Banjaxx Comics in Stirling on Saturday about this very thing and he expects a spike for the first couple of each title then quite a sharp drop off in sales.  We both thought that any punters who decided to speculate on the new #1's would quickly realise there was no extra value in them and many others who bought them would be either confused or angry - confused at what the h*** was going on, or angry that their favourite character had changed. If those new costume designs are anything to go by and considering the state of the universe Barry finds himself in, I really don't want anything to do with it.
As for Flashpoint, I was intrigued at the end of #1 with the Thomas Wayne as Batman thing but by #2, with Arthur Curry (if this is the same Aquaman) at war with W.W (who seems to be in charge of the U.K.) and all those other groups based all over a world,  I've decided that's it for me for all that rubbish.  Also, we are presented with a nonentity like Cyborg, a character I've never liked, as a major player.  I could care less but it would be difficult.
As for the digital releases and the opportunity to jump on, Dave felt that the move could be detrimental to comic shops and to punters like me who enjoy a visit and a look at the shelves but did consider that the impact might not be too bad because even if kids loved the GL movie, for example, they'd be more likely to spend for a game than a digital comic.  And we wondered if comics were a bit old hat for younger audiences nowadays who have so many other digital temptations. Especially as diposable incomes will continue to fall.
I could be completely wrong but the whole thing has been messed up since Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was so good and daring with the death of The Flash, which we were assured was final and irrevocable, but very soon the wheels started to wobble and I think they've now fallen off and the axle is trailing along the ground.  DC have been trying to fix things for decades and this is probably a last chance but, and I'm being a bit idealistic and simplistic here, I just want a newstand comic with a good story and art, printed on newsprint, at a relatively cheap price, with a distinct lack of cruelty and heroes I can admire who don't commit graphic violence.  Minority of one?  Naive? Probably, but that's how it is.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:33:04 PM »

...I just want a newstand comic with a good story and art, printed on newsprint, at a relatively cheap price, with a distinct lack of cruelty and heroes I can admire who don't commit graphic violence.  Minority of one?  Naive? Probably, but that's how it is.

Do they sell comics in newstands in across the pond?
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:22 AM »

...I'm being a bit idealistic and simplistic here, I just want a newstand comic with a good story and art, printed on newsprint, at a relatively cheap price, with a distinct lack of cruelty and heroes I can admire who don't commit graphic violence.  Minority of one?  Naive? Probably, but that's how it is.

Sounds good, Paw. Haven't seen one of those in about 20 years. No "probably" about it...

Peace, Jim (|:{>

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »

We used to have spinners and racks in many wee local newsagents and corner shops.  No longer.  Also, in the 60's,  newsagent shops displayed British, American and occasionally Australian comics on the counters and pegged in string above the counter  along with papers and magazines. However, when I was involved at first in a comic shop, there was a delivery of American comics each week.   And less regularly, a shipment of newsstand titles from a local wholesaler such as John Menzies.  These newstand issues were about 3 months behind the direct distribution titles and were not a comprehensive selection.  They were also a bit cheaper for those punters who chose to take the chance of waiting for a comic.
Nowadays, you wont find American issues in newsagents, rather the European versions of Marvel and DC titles - and not many of those.  There are still British comics such as Commando, Dandy, Beano and 2000AD which still sell reasonably well.  Beano etc. have all gone to that thin, glossy, crumply paper, I'm afraid.
This is well off subject.  Sorry.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:46:33 PM »

Hey gang!

Don't forget that our friends at Flashback Universe are back to doing regular blog updates.

Tons of good postings already with some of interest to us Golden Age fans!  ;D ;D ;D

Check 'em out at: http://flashbackuniverse.blogspot.com

B.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.