in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,879 books
 New: 101 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Introduction

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2321 times)

nick caputo

message icon
Introduction
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »

Hi,

My name is Nick Caputo and I've been enjoying comics since I was a wee lad. I've been researching and writing about comics for some time in publications like Alter Ego, Jack Kirby Collector and Ditkomania. I've also had a blog for the past year or so exploring many facets of the world of comics and their creators:

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/

I hope some of you take a look and add any feedback. I'm looking forward to exploring Comic Book Plus. As a avid enthusiast of fanzines and comics I'm sure I'll have a lot to explore here.

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:37:06 PM »

Hello Nick and welcome to CB+
"I've been enjoying comics since I was a wee lad."
Well, so have I and I'm still an enthusiast.
Thank you for the link to your blog.  I look forward to having a good read through it.
CB+ has a fanzine section, as you have no doubt already noticed, here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1509
And a Scottish fanzine  - although we only have 5 issues as yet' cos I don't have the rest and my former colleague on the 'zine hasn't sent me the others yet.
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1506
On the Fanzine page you'll also find a British 'zine, The Illustrated Comic Journal and Steve Holland, whose name you'll find all over it, has an excellent site, Bear Alley, here:-
http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/
And I can't recommend it highly enough. Please let us know what you think.
ip icon Logged

nick caputo

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »

Paw,

I've been to the fanzine section (that is what first attracted me here, and look forward to reading some of the Batmania's to begin with. I've also been checking out the Charlton's since I've recently wrote about them on my last 2 blog posts. I also index for the GCD and have a good eye at id'ing art styles, so this may help me add more info.

Thanks for providing an entertaining and invaluable resource!   
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »

Welcome Nick this is where I hang out when not at the GCD. This group does not argue like that group tends to.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:47:03 AM »

Welcome Nick!
Lots of goodies for you to check out here.

For those that don't know - Nick is a big name in the Timely-Atlas collecting community.
:)
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 12:27:47 PM »

Adding my welcome too, Nick.  I've enjoyed many of your informative posts over at Doc V's Timely-Atlas Yahoo Group over the years.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

nick caputo

message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:18 PM »

Thanks to all for the kind words. I wouldn't categorize myself as a "big name" on Timely-Atla,s since there are so many knowedgeable folks there, but I appreciate the compliment. 
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »

Paw,

I've been to the fanzine section (that is what first attracted me here, and look forward to reading some of the Batmania's to begin with. I've also been checking out the Charlton's since I've recently wrote about them on my last 2 blog posts. I also index for the GCD and have a good eye at id'ing art styles, so this may help me add more info.

Thanks for providing an entertaining and invaluable resource!

It would be nice if we could have the Charlton Bullseye from the 70s (the prozine, not the later comic book), but I guess that falls outside of the public domain.

I was looking at some of the fanzines on this site a few weeks ago. I'm especially interested in the fan reaction to Batman's "New Look" (circa 1964), and the Batman TV show (circa 1966). It seems like this created a lot of fractures in fandom. Some old guard fans were none too happy with the "New Look" while others came on board with that and likewise with the Batman TV show. Just like we see nowadays, these developments tended to divide fans and their allegiances.
ip icon Logged

muskrat

message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »

Hiya. I'm muskrat, from the Hoosier state of Indiana. Been a comic freak since before I could read. This site is the greatest thing to happen to mankind. I've always loved the golden age and pre-code comics, but could never afford to buy any. Read lots of reprints over the years, but these merely scratched the surface of the rich, deep history of comics--there's so much stuff out there I never had a chance to see. Now, thanks to this site, I'm gourging myself on all those amazing golden age classics.

Lately my favorites are the Bob Fujitani HANGMAN books (god, they're beautiful), and all the grisley gory Lev Gleason/Charles Biro books (Daredevil, Boy, and Crime). Having a blast!

This site is truly, "A Force For Good in the Community!"
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 12:23:48 AM »

Welcome Muskrat to a lifetime of reading choices
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.