in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 241 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Wild West Fun and Game Book

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Wild West Fun and Game Book  (Read 1628 times)

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« on: July 07, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »

No dates or publisher for this? Any guesses?

Link to the book: Wild West Fun and Game Book
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »

The book is the book and is all we got if you find out anything please let us know
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »

Okay. I'll keep working on it. I used the cut-outs for the paper doll page on my blog, so I want to give some detail on its origin.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »

All I can gather so far is that it was some kind of promotional book for Crackin' Good Cookies and Crackers. But it's not listed in my Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, not listed on the GCD. But I can tell from searching eBay that Crackin's Good did other promotions with Roy Rogers and the like.

Never heard of Crackin' Good Cookies and Crackers myself--but I gather they were crackin' good. Or still are since Wilton still makes them (don't know if Wilton always made them or if they were bought out by Wilton).
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

It does not really have enough comic content to qualify for the GCD
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »

This is true. I'm sure it doesn't meet their standard.

Even though, for my standard, I would qualify it as much more like a real comic book than some Alex Ross painted tabloid book with computer generated lettering. This one has real hand drawing and real hand lettering in india ink. The only thing that stops it from being a comic book in the classic sense is the lack of balloons--but Hal Foster didn't use balloons either.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:27:49 PM »

No it does not qualify because it lacks sequential story. The pin-up books and such do not qualify and have been a bone of contention for some time
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:51:08 PM »

It is a bone of contention and I won't pick over it here. Let's just say I don't go along with their defintions of what is a comic book and what isn't.

But that's just me.

Using the GCD I accept that I'm in a different universe--and I do my searches on their site, knowing that the gods are crazy. I at least had to try searching for this title there, however unlikely. That's just part of the slog in doing research that you can't rule out any potential resource, so you check everywhere you can think of just to be sure it's not there.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.