in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 20 - The Adventures of Peter Wheat #18

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 20 - The Adventures of Peter Wheat #18  (Read 4424 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 20 - The Adventures of Peter Wheat #18
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »

So I think that was a thumbs up from the reading group for last week's Dan Dunne, well it was from me anyway.

Now for a real change of place and a "breather". This week is a giveaway featuring the work of the fabulous Walt Kelly. It is just 16 pages long and won't take much time to read. And yes OK it was designed for kiddies ...  but I think some of us maybe will linger a bit as we go through it :)

I choose #18 as this is a very recent scan by the man behind the Peter Wheats, OtherEric. I believe that not only are they hard to find, they are also expensive and I can see why. So if any of you have a box of Peter Wheats floating around in the attic tell Eric!

The book is here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=40688.

I am looking forward to this, and will save it as a treat for when I have read the text story from last week's Dan Dunn :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 20 - The Adventures of Peter Wheat #18
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »

That was one of the most enjoyable reads we have had. Simple story with some twists and turns. Not perfect because I would expect Bug and Dragonelle to have been much more careful and the hornets eyesight must be pretty bad not to notice different legs. But there must always be some license to move a story along.
Great art of course.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »

I'm clearly biased, given that it's my scan; so will keep my comments minimal.  One thing I will mention is this issue is the conclusion to a quite long storyline; the specific story started back in issue #14 and this issue really serves as the culmination of Dragonel's arc that started way back in the first issue.  Some surprisingly long-term plotting for an advertising giveaway.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:34:36 AM »

Not bad. Nice little story, good artwork.

I did wonder about how low the wings were and if the armor would hamper the wings movement?

Two unintentionaly funny moments.
1. The wizard and the hornet guard looking up at, and flying after Dragonel, made me wonder if they could see up her skirt?
2. At the end of the story having captured the wizard and sending him to the dungeon, we get Peter looking sweet and saying, "Let's be pals". I guess the "or else" is implied.  ;)
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

I'd never even heard of "Peter Wheat" before -- or not in any way that stuck in my mind. Always interesting to broaden my horizons. It's been so long since I read much of anything by Walt Kelly that I don't know if I would have picked up on the similarities of style if I hadn't been told.

I could tell I was missing a ton of background knowledge from previous comics which would have made it easier for me to appreciate who these various characters were, and the logic behind their actions, within this latest installment of a long-running serial.

Apparently the Hornet Knights have taken over the local castle and are busily confiscating all the wheat from the surrounding fields for their own purposes -- possibly so they can eat it, but I don't think anyone said so in plain English -- and this creates hardship for the sentient local residents of various other species. (I didn't think hornets even cared about wheat harvests in the first place, but what do I know?)

Dragonel is repeatedly referred to as a "Queen," and I finally did a little Googling and found that http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonel_of_the_Hornets confirms that she started out as "Queen of the Hornets." Must be some interesting political backstory there, to account for why she is basically "in exile" and "working for the other side" within these pages.

Meanwhile, the local wasps are staunchly on the side of the "good guys," as I discovered when some of them were told to disguise themselves as rank-and-file "Hornet Knights." By "good guys," I refer to Peter Wheat and his buddies -- although it occurs to me that, since I came in so late to this narrative, I'm basically just taking it on faith that their faction occupies the moral high ground! (I don't really know how this violent disagreement with the Hornets got started in the first place, do I?) Frankly, I've never been clear on the distinction between "hornets" and "wasps" in real life, but apparently it matters immensely to the hornets and to the wasps.

I liked the story fairly well, but as it wraps up, I'm still very unclear on the Wizard's logic behind sending out Dragonel, a person loyal to the other side, as his chosen "champion" to joust against Peter Wheat in what he presumably expected to be a duel to the death. If I were sending out a champion to fight to resolve who gets to occupy the local castle from now on, I'd send out someone who was a) a very tough and skillful fighter, and b) was very loyal to me and my side, so as to avoid the risk of having him or her simply "throw the fight" by getting knocked down as quickly as possible (which was pretty much what happened in this instance).

I'm also unclear on where "treachery" comes in. Let me explain that: After unhorsing his opponent (or should I say "unfrogging" her?), Peter sees it's Dragonel, whose face was previously concealed behind the helm. He promptly yells: "That's treachery enough -- seize the Wizard, wasps!"

My question is simple: "Enough of what treachery?"

The Wizard has not yet done anything, nor even talked about doing anything, to violate the terms of their agreement to let the larger conflict be resolved by this single duel on the field of honor. If anything, the Wizard seems to have deliberately stacked the deck in Peter's favor by sending out a hand-picked "champion" who didn't want to hurt him! That's about as far away as you can get from "treacherously breaking the rules in the frantic attempt to win by hook or by crook."

Peter is the one who might be accused of "treachery" here. His previously-stated terms about acceptable stakes for the contest of champions were: "The outcome of the fight will determine which side wins the battle -- if I win, you hornets must leave the castle." So it seems to me that when he had subdued Dragonel (because she wasn't exactly trying to prevent it), the honorable thing would have been to give the Wizard and his Hornet Knights a ten-minute head start to leave the neighborhood pronto. I have no idea whether or not they would have done that, but instead, Peter gave the signal and all of a sudden his two disguised wasps were taking the Wizard prisoner, and a moment later we're told that "our men have surrounded the Knights" (using the word "men" very, very loosely).

There was nothing in the original terms about "one side should expect to end up as the helpless prisoners of the other side" -- there was only an agreement that the losers would voluntarily back off and let the winners have the castle all to themselves. So isn't Peter the one pulling a double-cross? (The more I think about this, the more dubious I am of my earlier statement that he presumably occupies the moral high ground.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:35:08 PM by Lorendiac »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »

I've been aware of these scans, both here and on DCM, for quite awhile but had never bothered to read one. Having no idea that the earlier issues were done by Kelly, I was very pleasantly surprised with both the art and story. Eric, I'm a big Walt Kelly fan so let me send you  a huge "Thank You" for tracking down and saving these little gems to share with all of us. Also a tip of the hat to Mark for posting this one to the club- I probably would never have read these excellent little comics. I enjoyed this book so much that I had to download more issues to follow the storyline. This story is not just another sugar-coated kiddie comic. We get a rather nasty villain and a staunch band of friends trying to overthrow him. Lots of action, including some surprisingly violent threats of throat-cutting and beheading. Just the stuff to keep the kiddies wanting more! The continuity and seasonal themes (and ads) were quite clever- what kid would want to miss an issue or miss the seasonal goodies offered? This must have been an effective marketing tool as it lasted from 1948 to 1956. Will have to run this one past the panel of granddaughters later this week. Thanks again, Eric! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »

WOW!!!

Although I have seen and admired Walt Kelly's work in passing, I haven't actually sat down and read any in context. Also I think I am pretty much repeating what the other members of the group thought.

This was just SO GOOD. The art bottom right hand panel on page 1 is my favorite. But there is not even one bad panel in the whole book.

One thing that REALLY surprised me was how violent it was. Both visually and verbally. I am guessing Kelly wrote the script???. Also, the hornets in their armor reminded me of daleks. I am sure that kids must have loved these books. I know I would have.

The art is really cool. Now another question from me. It looks like there has been an awful lot of work and thought gone into this. But is it more to do with talent and Kelly could "knock these out" quickly? I'd love to know what sort of effort went into making this. Any ideas?

I think OtherEric is right, these have to be the comic book series to collect. But how ironic is it that these giveaways are selling for such premium prices??

I give this a 10 out of 10. Reason being although there is no such thing as perfection (*)  if I were Baker Associates this would have knocked what I was expecting right out of the park! BTW in case you were in any doubt I quite liked this one!

(*) Zooey Deschanel excepted due to her eyes and being able to play the ukulele.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »

This is excellent.  A great read - even if it is the last part.  I am aware of Walt Kelly but have seldom looked at his work, although I downloaded some examples from DCM when they were uploaded. The only other material I occasionally saw was Pogo and I didn't take to it.  But Peter Wheat?  So well done.  It is quite violent for the time and for a kids strip but I'm sure younger readers back them would have loved this.
Being aware that some contributors aren't too keen on comparisons, I mention the following hoping I wont annoy folk too much.  I'm a huge fan of Rupert Bear and Tom Poes and would urge anyone who enjoyed this comic to have a look at the other two.  Because Peter Wheat puts me in the same good mood as the other two.
You can find some Rupert pages by the wonderful Alfred Bestall here:-
http://cloud-109.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/rupert-bear-weird-but-compelling.html

And this is the official fan site:-
http://www.rupertbear.co.uk/index.html

Tom Poes here:-
http://www.heerbommel.info/tom-poes-heer-bommel/tom-poes-en-de-kwanten/plakboek

Having to read Peter Wheat and have a think about it then read it again gave me great pleasure and I will now go and find others.  So, I now have 3 lovely, beautifully crafted, fairytale (ish) strips to enjoy. 
Thanks for this one.
As for reminding Mark of Daleks, I suppose :-* but surely a precursor of Atomic Knights ;)
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:58:11 PM »

Having been out on my first vacation in years, I'll probably be the last to comment on Peter Wheat. I generally agree with what everyone else has said so I won't repeat their points.

I liked the book immensely. The only downside is that not having read the backstory I was confused by who was what and why. I wonder if new readers in 1948 were put off by landing in mid-story. Personally I think this issue was good enough to convince them to stick around for the next one.

I think Peter prepared his trap figuring the Wizard was going to cheat anyway, so he (Peter) had better have his own tricks ready. Not exactly according to Hoyle, but common enough in good guy vs. bad guy stories.

This book demonstrates just how deeply Wallace Wood was indebted to Walt Kelly when he did his fantasy and funny-animal tales. Not only Kelly's character designs but also his writing style resonate in Wood's stories. Wood's stuff was in no way a knock-off of Kelly's; he added his own personality to both story and art. But it's clear Wood learned a lot from the Master.

One more thing--it sure looks like the flying creatures (especially Dragonel) have wings on their butts.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:01:28 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 03:45:30 AM »

One thing that REALLY surprised me was how violent it was. Both visually and verbally. I am guessing Kelly wrote the script???. Also, the hornets in their armor reminded me of daleks. I am sure that kids must have loved these books. I know I would have.

One thing that struck me about the violence was that it reminded me of some of the classic movies from Disney that are supposed to be "family friendly." In other words -- there was some physical violence, and there was verbal mention of the serious possibility that people would end up violently dead before all was said and done -- but nobody actually kicked the bucket, did they? I don't think anyone even bled.

Granted, one reason for that is that the "big duel" between Peter Wheat and a Hornet champion turned out to be a cakewalk (from Peter's perspective) because Dragonel was appointed to go up against him, and she didn't want to win. So he knocked her off her trusty steed (the frog) and it was Game Over! I think most of the characters on the scene had expected something more gruesome to occur. 
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 05:49:11 AM »

Glad people are enjoying this one.  While I recommend the whole series (or what we have), I would also point out issues 24-27 as a particularly good, relatively self-contained story we have complete.  There are some art continuity glitches from issue to issue but it's a spectacular run; issue 26 in particular is one of the best comic books I've ever read.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 04:22:36 PM »

I will check out that run Eric
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 01:34:54 AM »

Got to this one a little late, but better late than never I guess.  :)

Not much to add at this point... I found it a good, well constructed children's story, with some slick cartooning by Kelly.  Very nicely done on his part, considering it being a "giveaway" (and sadly sometimes to some, a "throwaway") comic.

A rather surprisingly violent story though, but I suppose no more so than those found in the Punch and Judy comic a week or so ago... and perhaps it's just me, but I also thought Dragonel showed quite a bit of leg in places.  She's one hot dish... eh, I mean dragonfly (I think?).  ;D   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:37:58 AM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 02:06:04 AM »

... 1 . The wizard and the hornet guard looking up at, and flying after Dragonel, made me wonder if they could see up her skirt? ..

Hee, hee!  Yeah! ;D

That WAS funny... not only were they looking up at her behind, the wasp guard even said as much ("Looks strange!").  Yes, they finally noticed she didn't have a huge abdomen hanging from her backside!  ;D

Oh, that Kelly... he was a naughty little boy wasn't he?  ;) :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:10:15 AM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.