in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 229 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Tales of the Mysterious Traveler 01

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Tales of the Mysterious Traveler 01  (Read 527 times)

wdport

message icon
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:44:53 AM »

I really like the character of the Mysterious Traveler. He reminds me a lot of the early Phantom Stranger by DC. His clothes, manner of speech, and powers are all very similar. As with the Stranger, his eyes are often depicted in shadow. He also alternates between narrating and participating in the stories. While the early Stranger debunked supernatural interpretations, the Traveler comic has a solid supernatural foundation. I like to think of the Traveler as a continuation of the Stranger. I'm looking forward to reading more of his stories.

Link to the book: Tales of the Mysterious Traveler 01
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:53:16 AM »

I've listened to a fair number of the Mysterious Traveler radio shows and it seems to me he's always just the host and the narrator and doesn't intervene in the story.

Having him participate in the story, in the comics, seems like what was done earlier with the Shadow, where his role was expanded for the pulps and that in turn changed his role on radio.

DC seems to have done the same thing with the Phantom Stranger--although he never had a radio show. I find this a bit clumsy--like they weren't sure what to do with the Stranger when he appeared in the stories. Juat having him as a host would have been better.

I gather DC wanted to capitalize on the success of suspense radio hosts like the Mysterious Traveler, but I don't know why they didn't just license another host of a radio suspense show--such as the Whistler--rather than creating their own. They were licensing a lot of other radio shows at the time, so it was more than possible.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.