in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 79 - Dell Four Color #871 - Curly Kayoe

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 79 - Dell Four Color #871 - Curly Kayoe  (Read 3639 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 79 - Dell Four Color #871 - Curly Kayoe
« on: July 08, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »

Last week's book was a Joe Palooka (which I thoroughly enjoyed). When I introduced it I explained how it came to be chosen. To recap a while back our highly esteemed member Narfstar said  "Someone should suggest a Joe Palooka or Curly Kayoe for consideration, if anyone has a favorite."

So I plumped for Joe Palooka, but during the week I thought it might be a cool idea to ALSO read Curly Kayoe. So here he is appearing in a Dell Four Color https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=34810. The story we are concentrating on is the first one "Knockout" where Curly defends his title against Swampy Glades, the Bayou Blockbuster.

After this I promise we'll have a bit of a break from boxers!

ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
Re: Week 79 - Dell Four Color #871 - Curly Kayoe
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »

Sports Comics are not normally my Cup of Tea, but I gave it whirl. I'm thinking the resemblance to Elvis of Swampy in some panels was quite deliberate given when this comic was made. And I know it was just the times, but boy do Swampy and his brothers fill a stereotype. Actually I liked the "Fit to Fight" story better,  reminded me of some the basic story principles of The Karate Kid. I like the cover art and I like how even though it was 1958, Dell said Code/shmode did not bother with that.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:01:21 AM »

After this I promise we'll have a bit of a break from boxers!

Perhaps jockeys, or just go commando? *buh dum bump* (A hook from the wings pulls Super Scrounge offstage)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:09:03 AM »

Sparring With Curly Kayoe - Okay, if dull, factoid.

Knockout - Not bad

Ring Tactics - Good advice if you're in a fight.

Keeping Fit - Okay, if dull, factoid.

Fit To Fight - Good advice, if a little preachy.

History of Boxing - Interesting.

The Long Count - The question shouldn't be would Dempsey have won if it hadn't been for the long count, the question should be would Dempsey have won if he had followed the rules.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:44:39 AM »

This makes an interesting contrast to last week's comic. They couldn't be more different, beginning with the fact that Joe Palooka was reprinted comic strips and Curly Kayoe is new material created for the comic. Despite my complaints about it, Joe Palooka was more interesting. It offered a more complex storyline and just gave you more stuff to read.

Curly Kayoe is very basic. The credits say Ben Brown wrote the stories. Maybe so, but the first story has all the hallmarks of a Paul S. Newman script: efficient to the point of being bland, very light dialogue, and especially Newman's quirk of always putting don't and can't in boldface even when the context doesn't call for it. The story isn't exactly bad, just dull.

The rest of the book reads like a sponsored comic. The emphasis on physical fitness takes over the second story reducing Curly to a supporting role. One of my gripes with the book as a whole is that the title character has no personality. I didn't care for Joe Palooka's personality but at least we knew what it was. Curly is a cipher.

The art is also efficient but dull. Except for the cover, one of those nice paintings Dell was famous for.

For comparison's sake I'd like to see how closely this comic reflects the original newspaper strip.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Mazzucchelli

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »

I must admit that while reading the first story
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 09:53:17 PM »

Pretty much what Mazz said. I knew immediately when they showed the curled toes that was the tell. Oh and the taping of the toes was accidental and at just the right time. Cover great story NOT.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »

A wonderful cover painting, even by Dell's high standards...I hope the original was saved someplace..The story was dumb, but god help me I read the whole thing and the whole comic by the way. Don't know why. Thought at first the art in the comic itself might be done by two guys at once...there seemed to be two styles...a  'cartooney' one when they drew folks like the manager, and a more realistic style when they drew the ladies who just happened to pass by. But nope, just one artist, and not a  bad one at that...Yes, Swampy looked like Elvis, YEARS before Kid Galahad, and one of the older relatives looked a lot like The King in the later years. Sort of sad, in a way. Hey, just remembered...Dell did POPEYE for a while and ALSO featured excerises if I am not mistaken.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 04:11:43 AM »

I pulled a random Curly Kayoe strip reprint to see how it stacked up against the Dell comic. There was hardly any similarity beyond the character names. The reprint I read--the legendary fight between Curly and Dynamite Dunn--actually held my interest even though I'm not big on boxing. Dynamite Dunn was the first fighter managed by Curly's first manager, Joe Jinks, who was replaced by Happy (his manager in the comic book) in 1947.

It seems almost certain that the comic book writer didn't know anything about the strip. He probably was given a simple character list and had to make everything else up. When the comic book came out in 1958 the newspaper strip was long past its heyday--in fact a couple of years later (1961) it would morph into a seagoing adventure strip, Davy Jones!

Under those circumstances I can't blame the comic book author for faking it. He might however have researched boxing more. Like Joe Palooka, Curly Kayoe was very heavy into the technicalities and lore of boxing.

By the way, Morgus mentioned the clash between cartoony and semi-realistic art styles. I think one reason Joe Jinks was sent West and replaced by Happy in the newspaper strip is that Jinks was drawn in a very broad 1920's cartoon style (the strip had debuted in 1918 as the story of a man and his car). By 1947 the rest of the strip's characters had been "modernized." I suspect that rather than suddenly re-design Joe the syndicate decided to replace him with someone more in synch with the strip's current art style.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:47:17 AM »

Just couldn't get into this one. Curley lacked even the basic charm of Joe Palooka and the art was nothing special. Not so much bad as boring.

Seeing the date on this comic leads me to believe that this was Dell's attempt to cash in on the wildly popular TV boxing of the time. Gillette Razors sponsored "Friday Night at the Fights" every week with such greats as Floyd Patterson and Sugar Ray Robinson. All the neighborhood dads would congregate at somebody's house and make a night of it. (Great snacks!) Later, a Wednesday night bout was added.

I'll have to give this one a rare thumbs down. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 05:55:55 AM »

I know zero about this character and have just found out he is a boxer and world champion. Mind you what a shower of contenders he had to "deal with" on our page 6. I think even I might be able to sorted them out.

This also featured some rather sloppy dialogue:

"Swampy threw just TWO punches --- a jab and then the BLOCKBUSTER! He needed only ONE MINUTE to polish of Curly's leading contender!"

A couple of frames later

"If I remember correctly the BLOCKBUSTER IS COMING UP!"

So the first story is over and no way is this a patch on the Joe Palooka we read last week. So I am unsure what I would be saying if the comparison wasn't there to be had.

A two page physical training tutorial really doesn't tell us anything new.

A rather moralist story that still involved a lot of punching people. A one page history of boxing is followed by the best bit of the whole book which is on the back page. "The Long Count" is about the 1927 fight between Jack Dempsey and Gene Tunney. I have heard of the Long Count before, now I know what it was about!

Verdict: A hit, on a split decision (see what i did there??). The last page sealed the verdict. No way was this as good as last week's Joe Palooka. But I thought it was unfair to use that comparison as a judgement. We've certainly read worse books than this.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.