in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Adventures Into Darkness

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Adventures Into Darkness  (Read 3498 times)

MikeA

message icon
Adventures Into Darkness
« on: April 29, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »

Does anyone know why Standard's Adventures Into Darkness started at #5, i presume it continued from another title but I can't find any info.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Adventures Into Darkness
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 05:50:55 AM »

I looked at GCD and no mention so I thought I'd see if I could spot the first 5 issues by looking at the Standard Titles we have  https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=810

And there lies the answer my dear Watson!

The were no  #1-5 ... the same as for:
Best Romance
Boots and Her Buddies
Crime Files
Date With Danger
etc etc etc

They started lots of titles at #5!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:03:30 AM »

Actually a number of Standard titles started at #5.

Adventures into Darkness
Battlefront
Best Romance
Boots and Her Buddies
Brick Bradford
Broncho Bill
Crime Files
Date with Danger
Dear Beatrice Fairfax
Exciting War
Freckles and His Friends
Gang World
Intimate Love
Jet Fighters
Jetta of the 21st Century
Joe Yank
Johnny Hazard
Little Angel
Lost Worlds
Lucky Duck
Mel Allen Sports Comics (#5 only on cover)
My Real Love
New Romances
Out of the Shadows
Peter Pig
Popular Romance
Reg'lar Fellers
Ricky
Roger Dodger
Sniffy the Pup
Television Comics
This Is War
Thrilling Romances
Today's Romance
Tuffy
The Unseen
Who Is Next?

Guess some editor was superstitious. Dates of the books starting with 5 run from 1947-1953.
ip icon Logged

MikeA

message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:37:31 AM »

Wow that is so bizarre.
ip icon Logged

kusunoki

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 02:05:34 AM »

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Standard started their books at #5 because they thought that people would be more likely to buy books that appeared to have established themselves and survived beyond the first few issues.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:16:38 AM »

I've heard that (after my previous post obviously).

I've also heard that apparently publishers had to pay some kind of postal fee for a first issue so some publishers would just skip #1 issues as a way to trick the post office (mostly fly by night operations that didn't put out a lot of comics so might not apply here).
ip icon Logged

atomickommiecomics

message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »

I've heard that (after my previous post obviously).

I've also heard that apparently publishers had to pay some kind of postal fee for a first issue so some publishers would just skip #1 issues as a way to trick the post office (mostly fly by night operations that didn't put out a lot of comics so might not apply here).

I believe you're thinking of the "second class postage license" each publication was granted to ship magazines.
Since the publisher had to pay for one for each title, they would try to keep titles similar, even as the magazine changed genres, to avoid paying for a new license.
The classic example of this was EC Comics' Moon Girl, which became Moon Girl Fights Crime with #7 as it switched genres from superheroine to gritty crime.
Then, only two issues later, the book became A Moon, A Girl...Romance! as it became a love comic with #9!
But as of #13, the comic became the sci-fi title Weird Fantasy, and EC had to finally cough up a new second class license fee!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.